Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 05:07 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,164,646 times

Advertisements

My guess is they don't think about it. Or if they do, they only take into consideration ways in which they are "not like those others." Or, possibly, ways in which the victims are "not like the others" ie the victim is somehow culpable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaple View Post
I realize or rather understand that w/a rapist, it is about power, control and fear onto the victim -- but I wonder if any of them every think about how they would feel if someone assaulted their mother, sister, child, niece, etc....would they feel that the offender should be punished to the ninth degree or would they think that the offender would be justified to say cruel and unusual punishment.....

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 11:13 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,116,982 times
Quote:
I realize or rather understand that w/a rapist, it is about power, control and fear onto the victim -- but I wonder if any of them every think about how they would feel if someone assaulted their mother, sister, child, niece, etc....would they feel that the offender should be punished to the ninth degree or would they think that the offender would be justified to say cruel and unusual punishment.....

Thoughts?

I don't think they think of anyone much, nor do I think they empathize with anyone.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:05 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,373,081 times
That is true. And it seems to me that a rapist who picks a victim who is pretty helpless such as a 92 year old woman, is really a coward, either that or this was a random crime of opportunity, no, I think he delibrately choose someone very helpless. Who knows, maybe he has "issues" with his Mother, ie...Norman Bates, and this woman was a psuedo stand in. Either way, I just think things need to change. I don't want to support this guy napping in his cell, watching tv for 40 years. Sick of criminals. Our society is so full of them.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:36 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
He proably thinks that it was unfair now he was coaught alos.typical thnikig for this type pf predator really.Wait till he gets in rison to see hwat his fellow peer criminals think of his crime.

Old 04-24-2012, 01:54 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,765,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Man who raped elderly woman wants shorter term | Wichita Eagle (http://www.kansas.com/2011/04/01/1788336/man-who-raped-elderly-woman-wants.html#storylink=omni_popular - broken link)

This story is just beyond anything I have ever seen...this guy rapes a 92 year old woman, states he was high on drugs when he did it, and he was convicted, with a recommended sentence of 85 years, double the maximum...

This is the worst...the public defender argued that even though the rape was "repulsive" it was not worse than the "average" rape...

How do these people even sleep? Or live with themselves? Defending a rapist, and stating that it is just a "normal" rape...and I really love the "defense" that the guy states he was high on drugs when he attacked the woman...so like, that makes it okay? Or less horrible? Or because the woman was 92, that makes it less heinous than say, raping a 12 year old child? Or any woman for that matter?

I hope he enjoys his time in prison.
There has to be an attorney to make sure the guy, no matter how creepy, gets a fair trial. You can expect the defendant to whine about how it's all so unfair. They all do!

Old 04-24-2012, 01:56 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,765,752 times
Quote:

Thoughts?
Plenty of them have assaulted their sisters and children, remember! They are fundamentally pretty weak on the rights of others.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:12 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,574,935 times
I am going to be very unpopular when I say this but I have thought about it a lot over the years and it still feels right to me - and you have to understand that I absolutely support the death penalty...the alleged "man" who raped this 92 year old woman, or any person who commits a violent or deadly crime - deserves the death penalty. In my opinion - the total disregard for the life of another individual is beyond reproach and should be dealt with in the most severe manner. I personally do not think people who commit these crimes deserve mercy or kindness, I do not think they can be rehabilitated and I believe they surrendered their rights the moment they crossed the line and committed the act they are charged with. No, it will not bring back victims or restore the dignity and freedom someone had and lost due to them, but in all fairness to the victim or their family, they should not have to live in fear of reprisal, fear of the sentence being shortened and their attacker being released into society to harm someone else. As a taxpayer, I resent my tax dollars being spent on scum who have no remorse, complain about their circumstances (which they helped create), blame everything wrong in their lives on someone else, have absolutely no redeeming qualities and are not part of a productive society. If they are found guilty, and the charges are found, I think they should be summarily executed - no exceptions. It would save jail space (and new jail buildings), unclog the system, and perhaps in great numbers would be the detriment it was designed to be. No way it should take 20+ years to execute someone for a crime they committed years ago. THAT is unfair - to the victim, and to taxpayers everywhere. As I said, I know my opinion is the absolute minority, but it's how I feel. You truly should reap what you sow......

Old 04-24-2012, 03:07 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,121,360 times
NOW he is beginning to understand why we call it PUNISHMENT

Old 04-24-2012, 03:08 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
san bruno jail has no rapists nor murderers. only victims of a stereotyping judgemental society.

Old 04-24-2012, 04:15 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,211,393 times
Castrating him.....now that would be "cruel and unusual". Karma (in prison) will be a beotch for this jerk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime