Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 05:01 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,763,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamnine View Post
The murder rate in the US is 4 times the UK, (but much higher for a lot of cities) and that's because you have guns.
I disagree. Canadians have more guns per capita than we do, and drastically less gun crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 05:53 PM

207 posts, read 284,735 times
Less gun crime, but apparantly more violent crime in general.

Old 09-23-2011, 05:58 AM

1,738 posts, read 2,078,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emma153 View Post
I have always wondered what the americans think of britain mostly the crime and if they think it is a safe place to live.
I am interested in american life and would like to visit one day as i am fascinated by the culture and the way of life but it seems like the media puts a ''bad'' image of america due to crime, for example it is meant to produce the most serial killers in the world, all the gang crime, child murders etc, is it really that bad or is it just made worse by the media???

Any opions welcome
The media latches on to anything that is sensational, or that they have a chance of making so.
I've lived in smallish towns (along the Mason Dixon line in Pa) as well as, Las Vegas, and I never had trouble. And, I went all over in Vegas. There are areas you want to be more careful in, but I suspect that's anywhere.
The town I live in now, has had "maybe" 2 murders and one "accidental shooting" in the last 3 years. It does seem to have alot of DUI related accidents so watch out for the drunks lol.

Old 09-23-2011, 06:09 AM

1,738 posts, read 2,078,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
"If it bleeds it leads"...tom brokaw or another newsman said that in the 80's. Plus now we have corporate media sensationalism. Most American networks are trash media outlets selling sensationalism.(celebs, rehab, etc.)

You wont hear about good things in todays info-tainment "news" bcs its all about ratings...I used to work in advertising. Whatever garbage sells is what the media will ram down the audiences throat.

Best is to filter it, research online, and visit places and travel. The "news" in America no longer exists.
Brings to mind this

The Eagles Dirty Laundry - YouTube

Old 09-23-2011, 07:38 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
I go to Europe quite often (I work for a European country), there is a LOT of crime. Mostly property but their share of violent crime.
Now here in the US we don't think twice of leaving things in our car in most areas. Laptop? Put it in the trunk so it's not visible and don't think about it. Sure there are break-ins from time to time. In Europe? My European coworkers will not leave a thing in the car, they expect the car to be broken into, to the extent of when we go out to dinner we have to lug everything in with us - laptop, GPS, books, trinkets, everything. It's that bad.
Don't even get me started on pickpockets and/or the mass of junkies at the train station stops.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:37 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,763,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Best is to filter it, research online, and visit places and travel. The "news" in America no longer exists.
But 75% of the information available on the Net is just, you know, crap!

Old 11-14-2011, 01:39 AM

711 posts, read 1,498,676 times
America has the most violent media and drug culture in the world....

The best way to escape it is to have so much money that you can distance yourself.

The ghettos and housing projects are more dangerous then 3rd world countries.

But if your wealthy and love nature, you can stay away from the cities and the danger zones...

Old 11-14-2011, 08:25 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,561,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendof302 View Post

The best way to escape it is to have so much money that you can distance yourself.

But if your wealthy and love nature, you can stay away from the cities and the danger zones...

Statistically the biggest danger is with people you know, not random crimes.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:41 AM

1,680 posts, read 1,793,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendof302 View Post

Clearly you have never stepped foot on soil from a third world country. I have had the distinct pleasure (if you will) to interact with their populous and I would say I've felt safer in the Ghettos of america. I might go as far to say you have never truly experience a Ghetto.

Old 12-04-2011, 04:20 PM

711 posts, read 1,498,676 times
^ I have been all over the Country of Jamaica on a public bus, also Mexico...

I have been to Europe as well...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime