Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 04:43 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,966,721 times

Advertisements

After just over 7 hours of deliberations the jury found Carmela dela Rosa guilty of first degree murder. She is the grandmother that threw her 2-year-old granddaughter off a 45-foot high pedestrian bridge at the Tysons Corner Mall in Fairfax, VA.

Guilty Verdict In Carmela Dela Rosa Murder Trial; Grandmother Accused Of Tossing, Killing Granddaughter | wusa9.com

The jury recommended that dela Rosa spend 35 years in prison. The judge will make the final decision in the sentencing phase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 10:09 PM

5,581 posts, read 6,506,670 times
First I've heard of this case. The little one is a doll! From reading the story, I believe the grandmother was insane at the time, and should be sentenced/committed to a mental hospital. She was/is very obviously mentally sick. I used to be on the side of the law, but I have come to realize that Detectives and Prosecutors are not always the "good guys".

Old 10-07-2011, 10:10 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,420,379 times
yeah this happened near where i live. Granny should be in a straight-jacket.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:55 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,630,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Transplant View Post
First I've heard of this case. The little one is a doll! From reading the story, I believe the grandmother was insane at the time, and should be sentenced/committed to a mental hospital. She was/is very obviously mentally sick. I used to be on the side of the law, but I have come to realize that Detectives and Prosecutors are not always the "good guys".
I agree with pretty much all you have said except the sick part. I have seen this type of behavior before and I don't think it is mental illness. It is a mindset.....

Old 10-07-2011, 11:58 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
After just over 7 hours of deliberations the jury found Carmela dela Rosa guilty of first degree murder. She is the grandmother that threw her 2-year-old granddaughter off a 45-foot high pedestrian bridge at the Tysons Corner Mall in Fairfax, VA.

Guilty Verdict In Carmela Dela Rosa Murder Trial; Grandmother Accused Of Tossing, Killing Granddaughter | wusa9.com

The jury recommended that dela Rosa spend 35 years in prison. The judge will make the final decision in the sentencing phase.
How ON EARTH did the prosecution prove that the defendant had "malice aforethought" on this? That would be impossible. I believe that the defendant was not well represented by her defense attorney and I would certainly appeal.

I've babysat two year olds before. I know how it is.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-07-2011, 01:20 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,966,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
How ON EARTH did the prosecution prove that the defendant had "malice aforethought" on this? That would be impossible. I believe that the defendant was not well represented by her defense attorney and I would certainly appeal.

I've babysat two year olds before. I know how it is.

20yrsinBranson

I am sure it will be appealed but Carmela dela Rosa is not the victim here her granddaughter, Angelyn is the victim.

The grandmother wasn't shopping alone with her granddaughter. The whole family made the trip to the mall, her husband, son, daughter (Angelyn's mother.)

This wasn't a case of the terrible twos. The grandmother threw the grandchild over the walkway. Monique Cox and her fiance were on the sidewalk when they heard voices from a walkway above. She said she glanced up and saw what she thought was a child’s jacket falling.

“When it hit a tree, we saw a face,” Cox said. “That’s when we started screaming.”

Cox said Angelyn landed on the pavement a few feet from her and her fiance. They knelt and stayed with her as a crowd gathered and, later, an ambulance arrived.

“If we had known it was child, we could have caught her,” Cox testified.

I cannot even imagine the nightmares Ms Cox has endured over this act of insanity or pure meanness.

Old 10-07-2011, 01:25 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,630,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
..snip...I've babysat two year olds before. I know how it is.
20yrsinBranson
Just curious. What did you mean by the above....?

Old 10-07-2011, 02:11 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
Just curious. What did you mean by the above....?
It means you might FEEL like killing them on a regular basis, but it doesn't mean you are actually going to do it.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-07-2011, 02:55 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,555,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
I cannot even imagine the nightmares Ms Cox has endured over this act of insanity or pure meanness.
Lets stop making excuses.

Old 10-08-2011, 06:18 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,621,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novadhd5150 View Post
yeah this happened near where i live. Granny should be in a straight-jacket.
The sad part of this tragedy is that sometimes family members do not want to accept the fact that a family member is mentally ill, because in our society having a mentally- ill member accrueds to defectiveness, and there is a tremendous taboo against it.

Mentally-ill people, with certain diagnoses, will hallucinate, and when a person hallucinates, he/she is under the command of evil voices within his/her brain telling them what to do............unfortunately, I am pretty sure that there were symptoms presented prior to this tragedy, that it could have been advertently, derrailed. It breaks my heart to read about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime