Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 08:53 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,828,603 times

Advertisements

Though I know this is only meant for laughs....When you've been hit at 45mph by a drunk, driving on a suspended license for DUI, jumps out and runs before the police can get to the scene to give him a breathalizer, its hard to find the humor, and yes, they did catch him and he did jail time.

Yes Virgode, it was solely meant for laughs - however, I do want to be clear on my position about drunk driving - DUI's - I think there is no excuse to drive drunk. There are more than enough options - whether it is having a designated driver; waiting a considerable time before even thinking about driving. I also understand that alcohol affects people very differently - I am amazed at what some people can consume and still appear to be capable and conversely, someone who has one drink, whether scotch or wine [as examples] has such a low tolerance that one drink could be eqivalent to 5 for someone else.

I live in a relatively rural area and yet there are a couple of taxis [not the kind you find in the city, for sure] that are available.

This is a preventable crime, in my opinion. If one decides to go out with a bunch of friends, and they know they are going to be drinking, they need to be responsible enough to know who is not so everyone, including others on the road, all get home safely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 09:26 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaple View Post
Though I know this is only meant for laughs....When you've been hit at 45mph by a drunk, driving on a suspended license for DUI, jumps out and runs before the police can get to the scene to give him a breathalizer, its hard to find the humor, and yes, they did catch him and he did jail time.

Yes Virgode, it was solely meant for laughs - however, I do want to be clear on my position about drunk driving - DUI's - I think there is no excuse to drive drunk. There are more than enough options - whether it is having a designated driver; waiting a considerable time before even thinking about driving. I also understand that alcohol affects people very differently - I am amazed at what some people can consume and still appear to be capable and conversely, someone who has one drink, whether scotch or wine [as examples] has such a low tolerance that one drink could be eqivalent to 5 for someone else.

I live in a relatively rural area and yet there are a couple of taxis [not the kind you find in the city, for sure] that are available.

This is a preventable crime, in my opinion. If one decides to go out with a bunch of friends, and they know they are going to be drinking, they need to be responsible enough to know who is not so everyone, including others on the road, all get home safely.
Definately!! These people wanting to know how to beat a DUI are riduclous. I have 0 sympathy. Its a simple as not drinking and driving. Thanks for the reply.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:59 AM

I think, at least I like to think that as one 'matures', and begins to realize they are not as invincible as initially believed and with the understanding of a concept called consequences from choices and ultimately accountability based on those consequences, even 'younger folk' will be more hesitant to get behind the wheel of a car when drinking, at all.

Sure, there are some crazy excuses and I am sure law enforcement has just about heard them all and I trust that those law enforcement officers go back to their barracks or stations and say to their colleagues - 'you aren't going to believe this one' and some can be pretty clever and creative - regardless, none negate the seriousness of a DUI and the damages that a drunk driver can incur.

Similar to speeding excuses [and, no doubt, the greater majority have come up with those = me included] and they too can be wildly funny and crazy excused -- yet when someone is speeding and causes a serious accident, that too, is not funny.

We actually have a 'situation' in our area - there is someone who has had several DUI's and cannot drive for who knows how many years - however, he rides a bike - and on more than occasion, he has been seen pedaling and swaying all over the road because he has been drinking - he has almost been hit several times - he has almost created accidents because he is literally all over the road on his bike, drunk. That too is serious and dangerous. I do not know if there is a law about riding a bicycle when drunk.

Old 03-29-2012, 03:22 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,492,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaple View Post
We actually have a 'situation' in our area - there is someone who has had several DUI's and cannot drive for who knows how many years - however, he rides a bike - and on more than occasion, he has been seen pedaling and swaying all over the road because he has been drinking - he has almost been hit several times - he has almost created accidents because he is literally all over the road on his bike, drunk. That too is serious and dangerous. I do not know if there is a law about riding a bicycle when drunk.
Most communities have laws against public drunkeness. If he's swerving on his bike, I'd guess he might be over the limit to be off his private property.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:14 PM

If he's swerving on his bike, I'd guess he might be over the limit to be off his private property.

He has actually nearly caused several accidents - people driving down the road, move to avoid him, he swerves, you try to drive around him again, he swerves again and you almost go off the road trying to avoid him. Dangerous, not just for him, but for the driver who is trying to avoid him - no less someone coming down the road in the opposite direction when you are trying to avoid him - at this point, someone needs to take away his bike too.

Old 03-30-2012, 06:45 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,275,649 times
What I want ALL to remember about DUI laws and, more importantly, trials is this:

The people sitting on the juries and the people making the laws are YOU. Yes, YOU. Most people who drink have, at one time or another, and/or many times, driven WAY over the legal limit. THEY know that. Therefore, it is difficult to convict people of such a crime, when the person sitting on the jury has done the something.

If ANYTHING is out of the norm, in general, the person will walk. That is a general statement of course. Like it or not, people are people and they do not want to put themselves in jail.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:45 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
I don't see any problem around here. Juries have little simplity for a person caught drunk driving and rarely see them self when judging.It one rason rarely will a lawyer let jury decide sentencing and 99% of time go to the judge for that.In fact its also why most plead to a deal as laywers advise them of change that has occurred in juries on DUI charges amoug public.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:57 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I don't see any problem around here. Juries have little simplity for a person caught drunk driving and rarely see them self when judging.It one rason rarely will a lawyer let jury decide sentencing and 99% of time go to the judge for that.In fact its also why most plead to a deal as laywers advise them of change that has occurred in juries on DUI charges amoug public.
Exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime