Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 09:59 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
...In the US, the parents would have been brought up on charges for leaving small children unattended. Secondly, how the twins remained asleep during the activity of investigation would be a red flag and questioned.
My recollection is that this is the case in Portugal too, and it was mentioned in the press. But given that the child had disappeared Portuguese public sympathy was for a long time very much with the McCanns, and there would have been a public outcry here - not to mention the UK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 01:40 PM

692 posts, read 1,355,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Whatever you think of the Portuguese police, the crime occured in Portugal, not the UK; therefore, it is the Portuguese police that are going to handle it.

If it had happened in Sweden or Croatia or Fiji it would be the police of the country where it happened who would run the investigation.

Some of the forensic evidence was processed in the UK because of the lack of ability to do certain sophisticated analysis here.

In closing, I agree that the Portuguese police did a lousy job allowing themsleves to be led on a publicity driven wild goose chase in the first weeks, in the process of which the lives and reputations of totally innocent people were ruined, and the case went cold in that time.
I am well aware the murder occurred in Portugal, and that the Portugese Police made some serious blunders. I merely suggested that the case be allowed to be reopened and Detectives from Scotland Yard's Homicide and Serious Crime Command be allowed to review the case and look at any possible new evidence.

Last edited by Mulhall; 05-06-2012 at 02:01 PM..

Old 05-06-2012, 03:22 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,273,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulhall View Post

I agree, there isn't any real evidence against the parents, other than suggestions made by a corrupt and incompetent Portugese police officer.

Which is why the case should be re-examined but this time by professionals from law enforcement agencies such as Scotland Yard.

1. Gerry McCann was seen carrying a sleeping (unconscious? dead? dying?) Madeline through the resort by Irish tourists, the Smiths.
2. Eddie and Keela, police sniffer dogs, picked up the scent of death on Kate, in the apartment, and in a car hired 25 days later by the McCanns.

But we will just ignore these inconvenient little facts...

Old 05-06-2012, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Are Kate and Gerry McCann still practicing physicians, couldn't find anything thru google?

Taking this risk with their childrens safety, doesn't say much for them as physicians and compromises they may risk in the medical profession.

In the US, the parents would have been brought up on charges for leaving small children unattended. Secondly, how the twins remained asleep during the activity of investigation would be a red flag and questioned.

Gerry is a cardiologist at Glenfield Hospital in Leicester.

Kate has resigned her practice as a GP to spend more time with her surviving children.

Old 05-06-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
I think everyone comparing this to JonBenet Ramsey's parents/killing, etc should really take a step back and think for a moment. Before jumping to the conclusion, the parents had something to do with it, everyone said the same thing about the Ramsey's. People were POSITIVE they were guilty. Well of course, now we KNOW they had nothing to do with it. Yes, it is fishy, their lack of personal responsibility, etc however, don't be so quick to jump the gun and convict them.

I don't know any such thing.

All I know is that Mary Lacey, the DA who presided over this entire mess, came out and publicly exonerated them citing the discovery of touch DNA in JBR's underwear.

Mary Lacey ran the entire thing into the ditch in the first place...I wouldn't believe one word of her arse covering.

Several packets of matching brand new underwear were opened and examined in the laboratory. They found touch DNA on every pair - probably from the person who packed the item in the factory.

This discovery proves NOTHING.

Old 05-06-2012, 06:10 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,731,932 times
The parents are guilty of criminal negligence, but that's where it ends.
Someone else mentioned about not waking the siblings (twins) of Madeleine.
Anyone that's had 2 year olds knows that they could sleep through a nuclear bomb, so it is hardly surpising that they were not aroused, or even if they were- not still awake when one of the parents went back to check on them.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:30 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,561,936 times
At 21:30 Matthew Oldfield went to check the children but saw only the twins through the open bedroom door.

At around 22:00, Kate returned to check on the children and found Madeleine's bed empty and the bedroom window open.

I'm wondering what happened during the half hour after Oldfield noticed Madeleine was missing through the door and Kate checking thru the window. The time line seems odd.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:36 PM

Quote:
At 21:30 Matthew Oldfield went to check the children but saw only the twins through the open bedroom door.

At around 22:00, Kate returned to check on the children and found Madeleine's bed empty and the bedroom window open.

I'm wondering what happened during the half hour after Oldfield noticed Madeleine was missing through the door and Kate checking thru the window. The time line seems odd.

It is odd. The stories have also changed.

For this reason, the wildly incompetent Portugese LE requested the McCanns and friends do a recreation. To this day, they have refused.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:35 AM

692 posts, read 1,355,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post

1. Gerry McCann was seen carrying a sleeping (unconscious? dead? dying?) Madeline through the resort by Irish tourists, the Smiths.

2. Eddie and Keela, police sniffer dogs, picked up the scent of death on Kate, in the apartment, and in a car hired 25 days later by the McCanns.

But we will just ignore these inconvenient little facts...
What utter rubbish.

The McCanns have been campaigning for Scotland Yard to reopen the case, one which I fully support. Let Scotland Yard Detectives review the details of this case, and don't start coming out with wild accusations. There was a man seen carrying something in the area, his description and a drawing were released at the time, the description given by numerous people was nothing like Gerry McCann. The police sniffer dog incident is also debatable, given that items belonging to the McCanns could still have had Madeleine's scent long after. A police sniffer dog can pick up the scent of a firearm that hasn't been fired for over five years. Furthermore you can't build any case against the McCann's on such flimsy evidence, I also don't know where you are from but where I live someone is presumed innocent until they are found guilty by a jury of their peers in a Court of Law. Nobody is thankfully found guilty due to mere rumour and innuendo based flimsy evidence and tabloid press stories

Now stop jumping to wild conclusions and making daft accusations. The case needs to be reviewed by professionals from the Yard, and that is what the McCanns themselves want and have been campaigning for.

Last edited by Mulhall; 05-07-2012 at 05:52 AM..

Old 05-07-2012, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulhall View Post
What utter rubbish.

The McCanns have been campaigning for Scotland Yard to reopen the case, one which I fully support. Let Scotland Yard Detectives review the details of this case, and don't start coming out with wild accusations.

Like running screaming from a missing girl's bedroom shouting "they've taken her!" when she could have been hiding in a cupboard?

There was a man seen carrying something in the area, his description and a drawing were released at the time, the description given by numerous people was nothing like Gerry McCann.

Which numerous people? The Smiths are identified and have been properly sworn in.

The police sniffer dog incident is also debatable, given that items belonging to the McCanns could still have had Madeleine's scent long after. A police sniffer dog can pick up the scent of a firearm that hasn't been fired for over five years.

It was a DEATH scent.

Now stop jumping to wild conclusions and making daft accusations. The case needs to be reviewed by professionals from the Yard, and that is what the McCanns themselves want and have been campaigning for.

If you were truly knowlegable about the case, you would know that this has happened...

[SIZE=2]Detectives believe there is a possibility that Madeleine McCann is still alive. - Metropolitan Police Service
[/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime