Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 03:26 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times

Advertisements

Do you all remember the Scott Peterson trial? He was found guilty of murdering his wife, Lacy Rocha Peterson, and unborn child.

Scott Peterson was a "way cool" surfer/waiter type student at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo. I don't know if he graduated or not. I believe he met Lacy there. They then returned to one of the bigger towns in California's Central Valley where they lived a suburban life. Interestingly enough, he was a fertilizer salesman to the huge farming industry there.

The whole thing was weird. After her disappearance, he got involved in "looking for her," making public appeals. I remember when the whole thing blew apart. I had just come back from a vacation in South America and was sitting in the hotel breakfast area in Fort Lauderdale, watching the TV while I ate. The news announced that Lacy's body had washed ashore in the Bay Area. He evidently took her out in a boat from one of the marinas in the Bay Area one night and dumped her into the Bay, thinking he could "hide" the evidence. He then grew a beard, and escaped to Mexico. But they found him.

A lot of questions: Why did he marry her in the first place if he wanted his freedom? Did he do this because he wanted to be with Amber Frey? Is there any background/familial data on him that he would indicate why he was so sociopathic? Did he have a prior record?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 04:44 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,446,589 times
Another pathological narcissist.

They are the worst kind of narcissist because they do things without any regard for another person's feelings, they have no idea what empathy is.

There are plenty of sites around the web where you can learn about the psychology behind Scott Peterson.

Old 06-11-2012, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post

They are the worst kind of narcissist because they do things without any regard for another person's feelings, they have no idea what empathy is.

There are plenty of sites around the web where you can learn about the psychology behind Scott Peterson.
Just curious, was there some kind of childhood/child rearing event? I remember that they would show his Mom at the hearings with oxygen.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:09 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,962,389 times
He has been on death row at San Quentin since March 2005 ... he will be 40 years old this year and probably has 20 more years of appeals to go! Got to be sure we don't execute an innocent person, right!

Old 06-11-2012, 07:24 PM

1,710 posts, read 3,137,735 times
Saw a clip a couple years ago about him in prison, he's a trophy inmate. One that general pop would really like to get to so he's been in protective custody virtually the whole time.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Buzzcut View Post
Saw a clip a couple years ago about him in prison, he's a trophy inmate. One that general pop would really like to get to so he's been in protective custody virtually the whole time.
I'm sure there are other murderers in the general population that aren't trophies. Does that mean that he is more likely to be harmed than others? Is is the sensationalism of the trial and such that makes him a "trophy?"

Old 06-11-2012, 09:15 PM

1,710 posts, read 3,137,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I'm sure there are other murderers in the general population that aren't trophies. Does that mean that he is more likely to be harmed than others? Is is the sensationalism of the trial and such that makes him a "trophy?"
That was pretty much the gist of the news clip. High profile inmate, lots of media attention surrounding the trial so it was implied that to take him out would have been a "badge of honor" , so to speak, among other inmates.

It's an enigma to me how some are targeted like Dahmer and meet their doom at the hands of other inmates, but people like Bundy and Manson are pretty much left alone. I guess Manson's media and inmate interaction is heavily restricted, but in Bundy's case there was plenty of opportunity to snuff him out.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:20 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,270,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post

Those who have committed crimes against children are often hunted down in prison.

SP not only murdered his wife, he also murdered his unborn son.

That makes him prime meat...a lot of those prisoners have children on the outside that they adore and a child murderer is THE lowest of the low.

Stick him in gen pop, I say...let them have at him.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:22 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,270,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post

Can you please post some links?

TIA.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:15 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,273,534 times
I personally know the two detectives which conducted his investigation. The case is NOT some sort of slam dunk people think and/or thought it was. Unless you know a lot about the case, the next points I shall make will sound foreign to you. I suggest you read up on the investigation. The key point in the prosecution of the case, was the photographs of the Scott Peterson's boat storage. There were photographs on the day Lacy was missing, of a two saw horses with a piece of plywood on them. Hand made concrete anchors were on the plywood; a total of 6. 2 were missing. They were matches to the ones, not scientifically mind you, to the ones found on Lacy's body.

In so far as Scott Peterson, I would argue everyone else's psychological assessment of him. He is a classic psychopath. Although not proven, he is probably responsible for the death of a female when he was in college.

This case is very baffling to most serious persons who study criminal law/justice. Like it or not, the case is ENTIRELY circumstantial. There isn't one shred of physical evidence, to show Scott committed the crime. No DNA, fingerprints, all the things people like to see. None of it. He still maintain's his innocence and, there is some evidence to show he is POSSIBLY innocent.

MOST of us in the criminal justice field were shocked he was even convicted, not to mention the death penalty, based upon such thin circumstantial evidence. But hell, you can't ever figure out what a jury will do.

Scott Peterson Appeal

The Murder of Laci Peterson — Lady Killer — Crime Library on truTV.com

On a sidebar, for you "crime junkies." Yes, I have another friend, a close friend who I work out with quite often. He is a Sgt at San Quentin, assigned to death row. Scott Peterson receives BAG LOADS of mail, every week, from women, all over the world, with marriage proposals. Many of these women send photos, of shall we say, different stages of compromise? Many of these women are, in my friends words, "Hotter then hell."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime