Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 01:56 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,828,970 times

Advertisements

Perhaps this is foolish question, am I missing something? If the judge, who set the $1million dollar bond, w/restrictions believes [see below....suspect may have been planning to flee the country...], why would the judge risk setting even a $1million dollar bond? I don't fully understand this thinking. From reading the entire article, it indicates that one may get bail/bond for a 2nd degree murder charge, yet, bail/bond is used to assure the presence of the accused at court [given that is a whole lot of money to risk losing by a bail/bonds company]...why not remand, given the risk?

Comments?

A Florida judge on Thursday set a $1 million bond with new restrictions on George Zimmerman, saying he believes the suspect may have been planning to flee the country to avoid prosecution in the killing of Trayvon Martin.

Judge Kenneth R. Lester Jr. found that Zimmerman's deceit over cash holdings at his first bond hearing in April was not enough to hold him without bail.

"This court has, thus far, declined to exercise its contempt powers and the state failed to prove that the defendant may be held without bond," the order said....

Full article: Attorney: Zimmerman, family will struggle to secure bond - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 02:11 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaple View Post
Perhaps this is foolish question, am I missing something? If the judge, who set the $1million dollar bond, w/restrictions believes [see below....suspect may have been planning to flee the country...], why would the judge risk setting even a $1million dollar bond? I don't fully understand this thinking. From reading the entire article, it indicates that one may get bail/bond for a 2nd degree murder charge, yet, bail/bond is used to assure the presence of the accused at court [given that is a whole lot of money to risk losing by a bail/bonds company]...why not remand, given the risk?

Comments?

A Florida judge on Thursday set a $1 million bond with new restrictions on George Zimmerman, saying he believes the suspect may have been planning to flee the country to avoid prosecution in the killing of Trayvon Martin.

Judge Kenneth R. Lester Jr. found that Zimmerman's deceit over cash holdings at his first bond hearing in April was not enough to hold him without bail.

"This court has, thus far, declined to exercise its contempt powers and the state failed to prove that the defendant may be held without bond," the order said....

Full article: Attorney: Zimmerman, family will struggle to secure bond - CNN.com
bummer

Old 07-06-2012, 02:14 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
I don't know. I believe that the judge was compelled to make the bail higher, due to political pressure. This guy does not seem to me to have the resources to leave the country. I may be wrong, but he is hardly an international player, with ties in foriegn countries, or has a marketable career in demand in other countries. I do think it is interesting that they have received so much money from their website, reported over $150,000, probably more. Shows support for him. And the judge stated he and his wife were "deceptive" in non-disclosure of those funds.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:18 PM

Amazing - he just got out - raised the funds for his bond! He was smiling as he was getting into the vehicle.....wow!

Old 07-06-2012, 02:20 PM

Oops, apparently, he does have to 'appear' every two days....and some of other conditions include: he may not open any bank account; he cannot apply for a passport [although they did find another passport of his] and a few other misc sundries.

wow, again!

Old 07-06-2012, 02:22 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times
wasn't GZ's wife also charged with perjury?.

Apparently the judge doesn't think he's a flight risk. Miami is 50 miles away from Cuba, its not exactly hard to "flee the country " if you live in South Florida.

People donating that much money to their website prove H.L. Mencken was correct in saying: never undestimate the stupidity of some in the american public.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:24 PM

Dreamof, the judge actually brought up the fact that he believed Zimmerman was going to flee from prosecution --- jeez!

Old 07-06-2012, 04:02 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
I'm not convinced he won't run. Must be something to do w/ the laws. Judge was putting his concerns on record. Well, given the fact that this case may take awhile to be before the courts his supporters are going to have to keep doling out the 10.00 & 20.00 bills which the articles say are the increments coming into the website. His attorney has him in a temporary safe house, so someone is gonna have to donate some money to cover a permanent location. And, regarding the million bond, he had to come up w/ 150,000 and the bond was a bit difficult...Bondsman required 100,000 collateral. So long term, his supporters are gonna be covering Attorney fees, relocation and living expenses and he will have to maintain his collateral for the bondsman. Pretty amazing support....maybe it isn't so far fetched imagining he will get off.
Also, didn't I read somewhere that his parents live in another country, or was that a rumor??
George Zimmerman Prepared to Flee U.S. With $130,000 Judge Says - Yahoo! News
George Zimmerman Leaves Fla. Jail on $1M Bond - ABC News
Interrobang...."Zimmerman, happy to be back on the streets said “this is great now I get to see Ben Stiller’s new Neighborhood Watch Flick.” read more http://theinterrobang.com/2012/07/26313/

Last edited by JanND; 07-06-2012 at 04:12 PM.. Reason: link

Old 07-06-2012, 04:33 PM

JanND, I agree, I don't think it is far fetched in the least...I think he will take off... what just popped into my head actually was the case of / trial of Andrew Luster [way back] and out on bail/bond and it was getting down to the wire and he booked - sure he ultimately got caught - but it took a long time. I would like to think these days, with so much internet stuff [including law enforcement agencies] it takes somewhat less time to find someone - nonetheless, I also think regardless of whoever put up their collateral for the difference re: $1million dollar bond, he is not going to care about who losses what -- I would think he is already formulating some kind of plan, timing, and has a goal and that goal is not be tried and to get out of the country.

I think if that happened, there would be a witch hunt [apologies for that expression to all my Wicca friends]....and he would be found, potentially not unharmed [smile].

Old 07-06-2012, 10:37 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,969,066 times
The website that was set up to send money for George had received over $200,000 ... which should have meant there was enough to bail him out ... but his defense attorney made the statement the money was needed for his defense!!! Sound familiar. LOL These defense lawyers go for the money first.

More money has been coming into the website since the judge allowed GZ to be bailed out. A poll on the day the judge announced bail indicated 40% thought GZ was innocent and 60% guilty ... I guess the 40% is sending the money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime