Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 10:22 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,609,273 times

Advertisements

Reporting from Washington —
On the day Jared Lee Loughner was indicted for the shootings in Tucson, the top federal prosecutor in Arizona signaled that the government most likely would request the ultimate punishment.

But the federal death penalty process is filled with obstacles, and Loughner's execution would be far from assured if he is convicted.

Tucson shootings: If Jared Lee Loughner is convicted, death penalty would be difficult to carry out - latimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 01:47 PM

791 posts, read 1,434,343 times
Default Good.

The man is a nut. His acts have no ideological coherence at all.

People like that don't belong executed. They belong locked up forever.

Civilized people don't punish the mentally ill.

Old 02-06-2011, 12:17 PM

371 posts, read 393,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve View Post
The man is a nut. His acts have no ideological coherence at all.
So since he doesn't stand by a pre-configured ideology he shouldn't be executed?

I think we should go with Singapore's stance on executions. Execute murderers, attempted murderers, hostage takers, large scale drug traffickers, terrorists, violent gun criminals and people that break into homes while carrying a weapon.

A civilized society doesn't allow animals to run wild in their communities.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:13 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
Bascially from what I have heard he stands to go on trial for some of the deaths in state court.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:31 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,056,523 times
It's not hard to believe, that if he's locked up for life, his prison life will be the envy of many other prisoners.

I'd be extremely curious to see how much money he has amassed already in his prison & commissary accounts, by supporters, fans, women who fall in love with prisoners.

His shooting of the judge would probably bring in a big chunk of money, alone.

Anyway of finding out how much money has been donated to him already?

Old 03-21-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy8876 View Post
A civilized society doesn't allow animals to run wild in their communities.
No. They lock them up forever. Possibly, put them to some useful work that might benefit the survivors of their victims, and/or society.

Wanna live in Singapore? I don't.

Texas is bad enough. They have executed at least one demonstrably innocent man; probably, several.

Old 03-21-2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
It's not hard to believe, that if he's locked up for life, his prison life will be the envy of many other prisoners.
But not the envy of even the poorest, most humble, free man, eh?

Old 08-05-2012, 07:58 AM

26,739 posts, read 26,828,098 times
It looks like he will plead guilty.
http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/n...,4006905.story

Old 08-05-2012, 08:22 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,373,081 times
John Hinkley was certified as "mentally ill" after shooting Reagan. He spent time in an institution...and now gets out to visit family.
John Hinckley, Jr. - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-05-2012, 10:25 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,314,448 times
The gossip is that Loughner will plead guilty this week and receive a life sentence for his crimes.

Someone did mention that he conceivably could also be tried by the state of Arizona for murder. That's certainly an option. My hunch is though that its all part of the deal. Loughner's legal counsel probably wouldn't have recommended a guilty plea unless he knew his client wouldn't face capital punishment period. Anyway, it will be interesting to see what happens this week.

Randy seems to think that we shouldn't have an insanity defense because "civilized societies" don't allow animals to run wild in their community". My good man, that's why there is an option in the system called "life without parole".

Every country that he would recognize as "civilized" not only allows an insanity defense, but they also don't have the death penalty at all. Singapore maybe the only "sort-of" exception to that rule. I say "sort of" because until the last decade or so they would have been seen as a third world country.'

Just for the record, the death penalty has been abolished in Canada, all of Europe, Australia, New Zealand, and almost 20 states in this country. I don't necessarily agree with that approach. However, in this case its pretty clear Loughner wasn't playing with a full deck. Its enough of an extenuating circumstance that based on what I know would prevent me from sentencing him to death.

A wise country would at least examine the relationship between having semi automatic firearms with magazines that hold 20 rounds or more of ammunition available in a manner that crazies like Loughner can buy them and homicides. However, we don't do that (and won't be doing that any point in the forseeable future). I have no reason to believe we won't see repeat offenses like this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime