Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 04:07 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,635,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
At a medical facility I used to work at, we had a horrific case. A little boy was there for a scan to check on his brain stents.

He had brain stents because his father had beat him until he was brain damaged, but had somehow regained custody.

When the brain damaged tyke acted up while there were no nurses or techs in the room, the father beat him to death and tried to blame someone at our facility for "dropping" the poor little guy.

The only things I think we can constitutionally do at this time are to promote the use of birth control by those too young or too ill-equipped to handle parenthood (make birth control free) sentences that outlive a person's "breeding" years for serious offenders, and regulations that make it easier for abused children to be adopted, rather than fostered.

I wish I had better answers.
Your story is hard to hear. Was he punished appropriately or can there ever be appropriate punishment....?

With the Planned Parenthood controversy and the lack of responsible birth control in many segments of the population, I fear it will continue. I honestly would not discount sometime of mandatory birthcontrol and I normally do not like a lot of government intervention (it scares me).

I cannot comprehend what these children go through in their short lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
I think it is the fact that many people are just high and/or drunk ALL the time. And have no personal sense of controls in place. They will hit a child just the way that they would hit another adult.
I think this an absolute truth. It seems that 2/3's of the population is addicted anymore and I mean that honestly. Everyday, I thank whatever powers that be, that so far, my teenage and young adult grandchildren are not on drugs. I do know there is some pot smoking but, hopefully, that won't progress to something harder. I pray.

Old 10-22-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
..animalcrazy....snipped..my idiot teacher didn't recognize the symptoms of depression in a grade school child...snipped...

Everyone needs to recognize the signs, especially in schools, and report it. We also need good foster parents not in it for a paycheck, but that's a whole other issue.
same scenario. I was being tormented by someone older while my parents worked and I was afraid to tell. I stopped taking baths, I was lethargic, grades fell...etc, etc. My teacher and mother were blind.....

I am sorry what you went through, animal. It sounds horrible.

I also agree about foster's. But there is a case on record of where a couple adopted out of foster care, they got a stipend after the adoption, and the kid disappeared. The "father" wanted to give him back and was the last one with him. To this day, there has been no prosecution. The mother of the "mother" has made it her cause to bring justice for the boy.....at the expense of her relationship with her daughter. A sad, sad, case.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:43 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,800,865 times
Thanks AnnieA, I have a great life now and I was a very determined child. My father made some inappropriate advances on me when I was 13 and I immediately told my mother about it. Luckily that side of the abuse stopped but I think my mother saw me as competition and the abuse from her escalated until I got old enough to hit back. I learned to be self sufficient at a very young age and I guess you could say that even though it was a difficult childhood it helped form me into a very successful adult. My brother the chosen one on the other hand wound up being a total loser.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:04 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,125,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Thanks AnnieA, I have a great life now and I was a very determined child. My father made some inappropriate advances on me when I was 13 and I immediately told my mother about it. Luckily that side of the abuse stopped but I think my mother saw me as competition and the abuse from her escalated until I got old enough to hit back. I learned to be self sufficient at a very young age and I guess you could say that even though it was a difficult childhood it helped form me into a very successful adult. My brother the chosen one on the other hand wound up being a total loser.

Many people use a rough childhood to justify weakness in adulthood. Congrats to you for letting it make you tougher. (Reminds me of my own Mom, who was a badass lady)

To quote an old phrase "Get on wit' your bad self" !

@AnnieA, I believe the abusive father was prosecuted but it may still be wandering through the court system because I haven't heard anything about it for some time. Then again, child abuse is so common these days, it may just have not made the news

Old 10-23-2012, 02:16 PM

5 posts, read 7,061 times
Well said. If we could somehow inoculate against pregnancy right along with immunizations, in such a way that a person would need to visit an MD in order to reactivate virility/fertility; hence a plan to be pregnant, so many of these stories would never need telling because they would never happen in the first place. I suspect at least 90% of people are ill suited for parenthood. We need to save them and their poor victims from such sad beginnings.

Last edited by jadedserf; 10-23-2012 at 02:20 PM.. Reason: clarifcation and quote

Old 10-23-2012, 02:35 PM

5 posts, read 7,061 times
Animalcrazy, I am sorry for your sad young years. Teachers, friends and family members all need to have the initiative to advocate for an abused child. I alienated several family members when I stood up and responded to a young relative after she reported sexual abuse by a step parent. They all insisted the child was crazy, trouble-making, bad, a liar. I was totally shocked by their attitudes when I went to them with the information she shared. She told me, I keep trying to tell but no one believes me. They call me a liar because he's so nice and everyone likes him so much.
I turned the lot in to CPS. Some of these people still refuse to speak to me for responding to the girl's situation. She pulled me aside because she trusted me.
We have to listen to children and do our best to assist them if we see or suspect that they are in distress.

Old 10-23-2012, 04:10 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,125,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadedserf View Post
Animalcrazy, I am sorry for your sad young years. Teachers, friends and family members all need to have the initiative to advocate for an abused child. I alienated several family members when I stood up and responded to a young relative after she reported sexual abuse by a step parent. They all insisted the child was crazy, trouble-making, bad, a liar. I was totally shocked by their attitudes when I went to them with the information she shared. She told me, I keep trying to tell but no one believes me. They call me a liar because he's so nice and everyone likes him so much.
I turned the lot in to CPS. Some of these people still refuse to speak to me for responding to the girl's situation. She pulled me aside because she trusted me.
We have to listen to children and do our best to assist them if we see or suspect that they are in distress.
Good for you! Was she removed from that situation?

Old 10-23-2012, 04:26 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,653,382 times
Good topic, OP.

I think all parents should definitely be enrolled in mandatory parenting classes, for example, at the hospital where they have children.

The U.S. has some of the highest levels of child abuse and neglect in the developed world.

FIVE children in America die every day from child abuse according to the U.S. department of Health and Human Services. In addition, it is under-reported by an estimated 40 % (i.e. cause of death does not mention child abuse). Neglect is by far the most common cause of death for these children.

Approximately 80% of children that die from abuse are under the age of 4.

National Child Abuse Statistics | Childhelp

Old 10-23-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Many people use a rough childhood to justify weakness in adulthood.
My abuse made me a stronger person.

@AnnieA, I believe the abusive father was prosecuted but it may still be wandering through the court system because I haven't heard anything about it for some time. Then again, child abuse is so common these days, it may just have not made the news
No, NLVgal, I don't think so. His adoptive grandmother still keeps up a web site for him, Jaliek Rainwalker. This is the Websleuths thread on him
NY NY - Jaliek Rainwalker, 12, Greenwich, 13 Nov 2007 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

FInd Jaliek Rainwalker His adoptive maternal grandmother has never given up on finding Jaliek or justice for him. I support her efforts. Her SIL is a prick and probably a murderer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime