Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 05:03 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,834,047 times

Advertisements

Is this correct?

I heard this number today on television during one of those script to screen film development episodes. The segment dealt with serial killers films and how true life episodes was incorporate in the storyline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 10:16 PM

23,216 posts, read 29,026,930 times
I gleaned different stats from Ann Rule, as to the number of serial killers on the loose in this country, at any given time, a higher figure.

I've read hundreds of true crime books, but I bear in mind always: there's perfect murders/crimes committed every day in this country, and the more brilliant criminals will never be featured in true crime books. These people read true crime books like some people read the comics. They laugh all the way to their next crime, at their stupidity and their research oversights. And luck is a factor as well.

Nationwide, only 35% of murders are ever solved, which varies with jurisdictions. In some jurisdictions, the unsolved murder rates could top 50%.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:44 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,352,792 times
I believe that there are more than 200.

There are so many people in society, who are killed each year, and they don't even rate an article in the paper,"Invisible People", teens who live on the street, illegal aliens, homeless, minorities. A few are gone? No one even notices, especially if they have no family. A serial killer who has not been caught, and is methodical, probably reads about other serial killers, and how they were caught...that is, if the madness and psychopathology of their deviance does not do them in...like Ted Bundy.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:56 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,836,614 times
Seems like a new serial killer active in the 1980's is being discovered on a regular basis thru DNA testing in Los Angeles. In addition to the active serial killer seeking out victims on a regular basis, there are also the more lazy ones who only claim a victim served up on the proverbial silver platter like the multiple serial killers targeting drug addicted prostitutes in the 1980's.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:42 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,127,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I believe that there are more than 200.

There are so many people in society, who are killed each year, and they don't even rate an article in the paper,"Invisible People", teens who live on the street, illegal aliens, homeless, minorities. A few are gone? No one even notices, especially if they have no family. A serial killer who has not been caught, and is methodical, probably reads about other serial killers, and how they were caught...that is, if the madness and psychopathology of their deviance does not do them in...like Ted Bundy.
This exactly. the term "unreported missing" is used to describe this. Plus all the people who go missing, thousands of people that have seemingly just vanished. The U.S. is a very large space and there are plenty of uninhabited ares that they could dispose of victims.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:07 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,755,918 times
What seems more likely to me is that some of them have gotten away with so much for so long that they LOOK like they've killed 10 murderers' worth of victims. Look at Gary Ridgway with (they think) 71 victims over 20 years. And he didn't even travel, like some of these birds who are long-haul truckers or travelling salesmen or what have you. They can't even really estimate the number of Willie Pickton's kills because he fed the poor girls to the pigs. And they suspect Tony Sowell killed many more than he was convicted of -- women were disappearing from his neighborhood long before the official list starts, and one of them was found in his house with her head in a bucket and the rest of her missing. How many did he finish disposing of, never to be identified as his victims? Do they count that list of names as another serial killer never caught?

Some, of course, get caught after the first murder, like Jean-Pierre Orlewicz near where I live. As a recreational killer he should really be included on the list, but 'serial' means 2 or more, so...

...I'm just saying it's not that easy to count.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:11 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,594,265 times
I'd say 200 give or take is correct if not low. That's about 4 per state. My guess is some states have many more than that, and a few may have less.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:20 PM

Bear in mind that according to the FBI's definition, There must be 3 or more victims overall with time between the murders. There may be one a week, or 3 over a period of years. makes it easy to believe a high number of killers operating at one time with those statistics and definition.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:21 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,755,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Bear in mind that according to the FBI's definition, There must be 3 or more victims overall with time between the murders. There may be one a week, or 3 over a period of years. makes it easy to believe a high number of killers operating at one time with those statistics and definition.
They've rolled it back to 2 victims, FYI.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
They've rolled it back to 2 victims, FYI.
I stand corrected. Makes the title of this post likely right on target.

Scary stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime