U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-29-2013, 05:58 PM
 
Location: Planet Earth
2,782 posts, read 2,441,943 times
Reputation: 4982

Advertisements

Killers find Cherryfield man a sympathetic pen pal — Down East — Bangor Daily News — BDN Maine


I think what disturbs me about this story is Mr. Torrey mourned Richard Ramirez's death!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-29-2013, 06:20 PM
 
Location: Ft. Myers
17,628 posts, read 11,181,563 times
Reputation: 37672
As much as I hate to judgmental, there are some really freakin' sick people in this world. (Ok, I AM being judgmental ) These people who write to convicted murderers and the ones who fall in love with them are just nuts. No way to sugar coat that one. How desperate must a person be to have to contact someone like that to get friendship or love ?

Yep, some people are just nuts.

Don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2013, 06:32 PM
 
Location: Planet Earth
2,782 posts, read 2,441,943 times
Reputation: 4982
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
As much as I hate to judgmental, there are some really freakin' sick people in this world. (Ok, I AM being judgmental ) These people who write to convicted murderers and the ones who fall in love with them are just nuts. No way to sugar coat that one. How desperate must a person be to have to contact someone like that to get friendship or love ?

Yep, some people are just nuts.

Don
I think it's odd how their pen pal relationship is described as getting along like teenage boys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2013, 09:48 PM
 
Location: 39 20' 59"N / 75 30' 53"W
16,085 posts, read 23,902,119 times
Reputation: 17987
From a fellow Etsy collector / sellers stand point, the correspondence has value, pretty much where the comparison to letters from the President or Mick Jaggar end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2013, 05:19 AM
 
12,703 posts, read 14,081,338 times
Reputation: 34816
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
Killers find Cherryfield man a sympathetic pen pal Down East Bangor Daily News BDN Maine


I think what disturbs me about this story is Mr. Torrey mourned Richard Ramirez's death!
I do not think Mr. Torrey is someone I would want to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2013, 10:59 PM
 
Location: Out there somewhere...a traveling man.
39,549 posts, read 47,756,756 times
Reputation: 110419
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
As much as I hate to judgmental, there are some really freakin' sick people in this world. (Ok, I AM being judgmental ) These people who write to convicted murderers and the ones who fall in love with them are just nuts. No way to sugar coat that one. How desperate must a person be to have to contact someone like that to get friendship or love ?

Yep, some people are just nuts.

Don
^^^Agree 100%. Most of the cons set up relationships to eventually con women out of their life savings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2013, 02:01 PM
 
7,112 posts, read 9,351,112 times
Reputation: 8162
I'm sure the woman who MARRIED Ramirez after his conviction mourned his death too. Remember -- they never saw that side of him. They only saw the 40-page letters he wrote full of compliments and loneliness and need to feed their egos -- so how can they not see him as redeemable, or even a great guy?

A lot of serial-killer pen pals believe the guy was innocent and railroaded. Others feel that if they love him enough they can change him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2013, 04:38 PM
 
2,759 posts, read 3,423,636 times
Reputation: 3087
Torrey told these guys - especially manson - all about his FAMILY??? manson (name deserves no caps) even knows his address??? How scary is that?! No wonder his wife is freaking out. The man has tons of followers who would do his bidding in a minute.

I understand the fascination with true crime and even criminals (ugly curiosity, yes), but this is beyond ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2013, 03:11 PM
 
7,112 posts, read 9,351,112 times
Reputation: 8162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
Torrey told these guys - especially manson - all about his FAMILY??? manson (name deserves no caps) even knows his address??? How scary is that?! No wonder his wife is freaking out. The man has tons of followers who would do his bidding in a minute.

I understand the fascination with true crime and even criminals (ugly curiosity, yes), but this is beyond ridiculous.
At this point I would say he has a handful of followers. Fans, yes, thousands, but he answers hardly any of his sacks full of mail. I do understand the wife's position, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top