Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 04:04 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,384,691 times

Advertisements

This thread will be posted as a "sticky" I thought it might be good to have a thread for general information, new books, any type of chat that might be of interest.

Recently, there was a kidnapping in my state, there are currently two different threads about this on City Data. It is unusual, because people in Montana feel relatively safe here...looks like another death penalty case
http://www.city-data.com/forum/monta...dney-mt-6.html

What happened to Sherry Arnold? Authorities, court records say little (http://bismarcktribune.com/news/state-and-regional/what-happened-to-sherry-arnold-authorities-court-records-say-little/article_53612d5e-4218-11e1-a124-001871e3ce6c.html - broken link)

Old 01-20-2012, 06:02 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,973,525 times
Have they found her body yet?

Old 01-20-2012, 08:32 PM

That is the worst part, especially for her family. The scum bags are being charged with aggravated kidnapping at this time. The FBI requested people to check areas by trees around their farms, but now, with the snow...who knows.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:27 PM

23,228 posts, read 29,071,258 times
Not sure about this new thread, what belongs, what doesn't!

I'm currently finishing By Their Father's Hand, true story of the Wesson Family Massacre in Fresno, CA in 2004. I recall the national media attention to this case back then. What an incomprehensible menagerie of a book this is!

Essentially, a small polygamous family cult, no less. Sheesh! Father impregnating his 3 daughters, them having babies by him, I simply can't keep track of all this madness! And then, in the end, shooting 9 of his children!
And where did these kids sleep at night, on top of their future caskets!

Thank heavens above, this guy is now on Death Row!

Old 01-30-2012, 01:26 PM

Wow. That sounds horrible. He definitely deserves death row...

For years, people pretty much turned a blind eye to polygamy, because it was "religion"...it was not until Utah activists, "Tapestry" Organizations and Websites – Polygamy Is Abuse started making an issue out of the child rape that occurs in many polygamy communities that the government stepped in to investigate these crimes.

Old 01-30-2012, 03:51 PM

5,585 posts, read 6,517,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Not sure about this new thread, what belongs, what doesn't!

I'm currently finishing By Their Father's Hand, true story of the Wesson Family Massacre in Fresno, CA in 2004. I recall the national media attention to this case back then. What an incomprehensible menagerie of a book this is!

Essentially, a small polygamous family cult, no less. Sheesh! Father impregnating his 3 daughters, them having babies by him, I simply can't keep track of all this madness! And then, in the end, shooting 9 of his children!
And where did these kids sleep at night, on top of their future caskets!

Thank heavens above, this guy is now on Death Row!
Sounds like the Ohio/Florida case from the early '90's. House of Secrets by Lowell Cauffiel. Eddie Lee Sexton is the patrioch's name. Wow! These cases really are mind-blowing!

Old 01-30-2012, 08:54 PM

I still have that book House of Secrets, hoping to re-read it some day! That book shocked the bejeezus out of me, particularly when I read of those stats informing me that incest was so widespread in the Appalachian mountain district, which is where this family came from.

Being that incest was so generally accepted there, they moved to Ohio and were in for a rude awakening, as there was zero acceptance of incest in Ohio.

Another high percentage of incest, I gleaned from the book, was the Ozark Mountain district.

In those lawless regions of the country, it's harder to catch them!

Remember the abortion clinic bomber, Eric Rudolph (fascinating book to read) who hid out in the Appalachian district all those years, evading capture? All those FBI agents, combing that area for years, couldn't find him. There's some 1300 caves in that area, where you can hide out for decades with the help of the lawless locals.

A million dollar bounty on Eric's head, and no locals turned him in earlier? The locals up there were as opposed to abortion, and they looked upon him as a hero?

Old 02-02-2012, 09:02 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,607,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I still have that book House of Secrets, hoping to re-read it some day! That book shocked the bejeezus out of me, particularly when I read of those stats informing me that incest was so widespread in the Appalachian mountain district, which is where this family came from.

Being that incest was so generally accepted there, they moved to Ohio and were in for a rude awakening, as there was zero acceptance of incest in Ohio.

Another high percentage of incest, I gleaned from the book, was the Ozark Mountain district.

In those lawless regions of the country, it's harder to catch them!

Remember the abortion clinic bomber, Eric Rudolph (fascinating book to read) who hid out in the Appalachian district all those years, evading capture? All those FBI agents, combing that area for years, couldn't find him. There's some 1300 caves in that area, where you can hide out for decades with the help of the lawless locals.

A million dollar bounty on Eric's head, and no locals turned him in earlier? The locals up there were as opposed to abortion, and they looked upon him as a hero?
scary story. I believe there are many places they hide--i am in (not much longer praise God, lol) in NE Tennessee, which is a city but if you drive an hour you get real rural, people living really in squalor...It does look still like the movie 'Deliverance". Hazard, Kentucky for example. I always feel sad for the little kids who are kept from school, they dont have any say, or much of a chance in life.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:37 PM

I know that people have a right to educate their kids at home, but I often felt like homeschooling could be a cover up for abuse, and that there should be some sort of wellness check, or something on children who are "homeschooled".

Nubia Barhonna in Miami, FL was going to school, and the teachers kept reporting her abuse to CPS, so the parents yanked her out of school, she died last year at age 9, from severe abuse.

Old 02-03-2012, 02:15 AM

I'm just wrapping up this book By Their Father's Hand, and all these kids were home-schooled. The Father continually distorted passages from the Bible, for his own selfish polygamous desires, and he had a gullible captive audience that believed every word of it!

These kids were virtual prisoners, they had to ask permission to even play in the backyard, never permitted to play with the neighbor kids!

There was, in addition to the incest, physical abuse of a horrific nature, and if the girls were out in public, they wore long-sleeved pants/shirts to hide the bruises. Small wonder he wouldn't allow them to go to school!

After reading about how he beat this poor 1-month-old boy for merely crying, it outrages me that this sadist merely got the Death Sentence. What kind of punishment is that!!! He deserves to be unexpectedly beaten a half-dozen times a day for the rest of his life!

At least now, those 9 kids that were killed, will never see someone brandishing a baseball bat or tree branch ever again!

And, not surprisingly, in this man's early childhood, he was reportedly molested by his father!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.