Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2014, 06:12 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times

Advertisements

He crossed the line self defense vs revenge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 08:51 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,935,527 times
Stand your ground or retreat if you are able to outrun a bullet.

I have been in two different wars and with two different countries.

Cannot recall where or when I was taught...."never point your weapon unless you intend to use it".

Recall when in North Korea I was cleaning my rifle and a fellow soldier was horsing around and pointed his bayonet at me in a threatening manner. I threw a round into the chamber and pointed my rifle at him and said "drop it or I will kill you".

He dropped it and backed off.

I stood my ground then and am still alive after a Chinese mortor exploded 30 ft from me.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:46 PM

11 posts, read 14,733 times
Default broken into our building

We had many of our belonging an building broken into , I would do the same we have to protect what we have ! Are all our hard work will be for nothing , an I guess people that here about this will think twice before breaking into someones home ! Really that's scary , think about it you come face to face with someone in your home I would think they are there to harm me an take my stuff , SO dead men are women can't talk an they got what THEY KNEW WHAT IF WE GET CAUGHTAN went into someones place shame on them , but I feel for the ones they left behind WHAT A BAD WAY TO BE REMEMBERED ! DON'T STEAL ARE BREAK INTO SOMEONES HOME THEN NO WORRIES ! AN TO THINK MORE THAN ONCE ! NO WAY !ARE AUTOS ! MORE PEOPLE GET THIS DONE WE WOULD NOT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT USING FORSE ARE WEAPONS !

Old 04-27-2014, 10:59 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,487,863 times
Castle Doctrine I support. Finishing thieves that are down, and are no longer a imminent threat, with kill shots to the chin I don't support that. That's called executing someone not putting them out of their misery.

Old 04-27-2014, 11:27 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,045,533 times
The dude is a psycho. He dragged the bodies around onto tarps so his carpet wouldn't get dirty, shot them both a few extra times in the head to make sure they were dead, didn't call the cops for days so he wouldn't ruin their Thanksgiving and audio taped the whole thing. Not really stuff normal people do in a self defense situation.

Old 04-28-2014, 04:39 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,425,894 times
He's definitely crazy and should be in an institution for the insane. As for the criminals who broke into his home, I have sympathy for their loved ones if they had any. But it doesn't make what they did right. Break into a crazy persons home and you have to deal with their version of crazy.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:44 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,074,074 times
as much as I'd like to have this ex-gov't spook locked up for the good of our community, I think he will walk on most counts. Can't find the link now, but I recall that the ME had stated that the first shot to each teenager would have been fatal on it's own. Plus, people in and near St Cloud are a bit goofy and probably think of Byron as some kind of hero.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:13 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,036,434 times
His only mistake was to record it.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:33 AM

112 posts, read 262,936 times
Defense has rested its case, and Byron Smith has waived his right to testify. I'm thinking he will spend the rest of his life in prison...

Defense rests in Byron Smith murder trial | Star Tribune

Old 04-28-2014, 10:39 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,639,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
The key is to use a caliber that will rectify the issue immediately.
For example I'm sitting on my living room couch while typing this while a loaded and chambered Kimber 1911 .45 caliber handgun is under one of the cushions.

If one uses a large enough caliber and gets off a good shot in the chest or abdomen area the exit wound from a .45 round will almost ensure non survivability.

This way the threat is neutralized while maintaining legal parameters that make up self defense as opposed to using X number of rounds from a smaller caliber making it appear as though you were crossing the line from self defense to man slaughter or murder.
hate to break it to ya, but most pistol calibers are underpowered for use on humans. They work, but they primarily work by bleeding out your assailant and/or punching holes in vital organs (mostly, the heart).

The exit wound has nothing to do with anything, what the bullet passes through is what matters. Hit major arteries and organs and then wait for them to expire, or get a central nervous system hit and stop them instantly.

You have fallen for the myth that .45 ACP is a magic round that stops all in it's path no matter what, the reality is someone could soak up all 8 rounds you put into them and still kill you before they expire. In fact they could get back in their car and make it a fair ways. A big reason for people either dropping after one shot or continuing to fight is their mental state, how determined they are. A lot of people fall down after being shot because that's what they've seen in movies and think that's how it goes, believe it or not.

Rifle rounds are a different story, most people don't survive a direct hit from a center fire rifle round. Most people survive pistol rounds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime