Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2016, 09:53 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,099,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHomunculus View Post
I wonder if the rising murder rate in Memphis correlates with the rising murder rate in Chicago. Doesn't Memphis have a lot of gangs with Chicago ties (I believe more so than any other city in the South, Northeast and West)? I would assume the hostility between gangs in Chicago transfers over to the same gangs in Memphis. That plus the drug disputes. Just my guess though...
Memphis does have a heavy affiliation with Chicago gangs like GD FOLKS aka Gangster Disciples and Vice Lords, but the South in general has ties because even though most places down here dont have Vice Lords, even the smallest of towns have GD FOLKS, many times outnumbering the more household name Crips and Bloods.

Also, is the crime rate really rising in Memphis and Chicago? I dont know about Memphis, but Chicago had many more murders in the 90s, and slightly more in the early 2000s than it's averaged in the 2010s.

What happened with Chicago is a very violent sub-genre of Hip Hop called "Chiraq Drill Rap" became popular and many people began following these characters on social media. Many of these underground, very young, rappers started getting gunned down and the media started sensationalizing murder in Chicago. Not that there isn't a problem, but it's not new and it's not even as bad as 15-20 years ago.

Chicago was reaching 900-1000 murders in the Early 90s, now they have around 500-600 year.

Old 07-06-2016, 10:14 PM

1,285 posts, read 1,394,538 times
It's rising in Memphis. It's on pace to break 1993's homicide record.

Old 07-06-2016, 10:29 PM

14,054 posts, read 13,929,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Soul Bro View Post
Memphis does have a heavy affiliation with Chicago gangs like GD FOLKS aka Gangster Disciples and Vice Lords, but the South in general has ties because even though most places down here dont have Vice Lords, even the smallest of towns have GD FOLKS, many times outnumbering the more household name Crips and Bloods.

Also, is the crime rate really rising in Memphis and Chicago? I dont know about Memphis, but Chicago had many more murders in the 90s, and slightly more in the early 2000s than it's averaged in the 2010s.

What happened with Chicago is a very violent sub-genre of Hip Hop called "Chiraq Drill Rap" became popular and many people began following these characters on social media. Many of these underground, very young, rappers started getting gunned down and the media started sensationalizing murder in Chicago. Not that there isn't a problem, but it's not new and it's not even as bad as 15-20 years ago.

Chicago was reaching 900-1000 murders in the Early 90s, now they have around 500-600 year.
Memphis is extension of Chicago South Side they connected cities. If Chicago pops so as Memphis shops been set up in Memphis.

Old 07-06-2016, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Memphis is extension of Chicago South Side they connected cities. If Chicago pops so as Memphis shops been set up in Memphis.
In ways yes, but still different because unlike Chicago, Memphis also has LA influence with bloods and crips, also the GDs and VLs there flag bandanas like in the rest of the south, which wouldnt go down in Chicago. I think Mississippi as an entire state is the true extension of Chicago's Southside. Most AA's in Chicago have roots in Mississippi. Most of Chicago's AA gangs were founded by guys born in Mississippi, and just like Chicago, most towns in Mississippi have no bloods or crips, just Chicago gangs like GD and VL. Mississippi is the only state like that down here. They are literally Chicago of the South. Just considering metropolitan cities, Jackson, Mississippi is probably the most "Chicago South" but Memphis and Little Rock would be 2 and 3 though, just slightly different because of having LA influence too which Mississippi lacks.

Last edited by Southern Soul Bro; 07-06-2016 at 11:32 PM..

Old 07-06-2016, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
It's rising in Memphis. It's on pace to break 1993's homicide record.
That's crazy

Old 07-07-2016, 07:22 AM

2,657 posts, read 2,097,567 times
Quote:
In ways yes, but still different because unlike Chicago, Memphis also has LA influence with bloods and crips, also the GDs and VLs there flag bandanas like in the rest of the south, which wouldnt go down in Chicago. I think Mississippi as an entire state is the true extension of Chicago's Southside. Most AA's in Chicago have roots in Mississippi. Most of Chicago's AA gangs were founded by guys born in Mississippi, and just like Chicago, most towns in Mississippi have no bloods or crips, just Chicago gangs like GD and VL. Mississippi is the only state like that down here. They are literally Chicago of the South. Just considering metropolitan cities, Jackson, Mississippi is probably the most "Chicago South" but Memphis and Little Rock would be 2 and 3 though, just slightly different because of having LA influence too which Mississippi lacks.
In Memphis there are other Chi mobs beside GDs & VLs; there's BPS, BD, NB, MC, LK, & SCR. Heard of Ambrose & SD but nothing official.

Mississippi have BPS, BD, MC, NB, LK, & SCR.
In Hattiesburg, Laurel, Natchez, Meridian, & Gulf Coast you have pockets of Crips, Bloods, Pirus , & Hoovers.

Memphis is on "pace" but that's just an estimation so far. It's record is 213 and do far that's still a ways off for now.

Old 07-07-2016, 07:25 AM

Oh, VLs have a presence in about half or so in the South just not spreaded out like GDs.

Old 07-07-2016, 03:53 PM

832 posts, read 1,254,842 times
How much for Boston, Seattle and Portland?

Old 07-07-2016, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
In Memphis there are other Chi mobs beside GDs & VLs; there's BPS, BD, NB, MC, LK, & SCR. Heard of Ambrose & SD but nothing official.

Mississippi have BPS, BD, MC, NB, LK, & SCR.
In Hattiesburg, Laurel, Natchez, Meridian, & Gulf Coast you have pockets of Crips, Bloods, Pirus , & Hoovers.

Memphis is on "pace" but that's just an estimation so far. It's record is 213 and do far that's still a ways off for now.
I know, that's why I said most and not all. Mississippi's still 90-95% Chicago gangs. No other southern state comes that close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharif662 View Post
Oh, VLs have a presence in about half or so in the South just not spreaded out like GDs.
They're over there in Tennessee (mostly West Tenn), Mississippi, and Arkansas......not sure about TX and Louisiana, maybe.

I'm sure we have some scattered around the southern states more to the east, but they hold basically no weight in Bama, Georgia, SC, NC, FL or VA. It's a lot of people over here who've probably never heard of a Vice Lord. For many places out here in Georgia, GD's are the only Chicago gang, and they grew up with bloods as their main rivals. I'm assuming you're from Mississippi (I see the 662 in your name). I think the guys take gang banging more serious in that part of the south. For instance, growing up, I never knew FOLKS Nation was an alliance of several gangs, including GD. Truthfully, I never really heard people say GD. Guys would just go around saying they were "FOLKS" with black bandanas. They were "cool" and calling themselves "cousins" with Crips, and they were allies against Bloods. I'd never heard of a Vice Lord, or that "FOLKS" and "Peoples" were Nations with several gangs in it, I thoughts it was just a gang called FOLKS lol.

All of it's crazy, people were more caught up with all that in the 90s and early 2000s here. Dying over some colors is silly. I was never into that, but living around the element you couldnt help but know this stuff going to school and playing ball with people in these gangs.

Last edited by Southern Soul Bro; 07-07-2016 at 08:53 PM..

Old 07-07-2016, 09:54 PM

Quote:
I know, that's why I said most and not all. Mississippi's still 90-95% Chicago gangs. No other southern state comes that close.

They're over there in Tennessee (mostly West Tenn), Mississippi, and Arkansas......not sure about TX and Louisiana, maybe.

I'm sure we have some scattered around the southern states more to the east, but they hold basically no weight in Bama, Georgia, SC, NC, FL or VA. It's a lot of people over here who've probably never heard of a Vice Lord. For many places out here in Georgia, GD's are the only Chicago gang, and they grew up with bloods as their main rivals. I'm assuming you're from Mississippi (I see the 662 in your name). I think the guys take gang banging more serious in that part of the south. For instance, growing up, I never knew FOLKS Nation was an alliance of several gangs, including GD. Truthfully, I never really heard people say GD. Guys would just go around saying they were "FOLKS" with black bandanas. They were "cool" and calling themselves "cousins" with Crips, and they were allies against Bloods. I'd never heard of a Vice Lord, or that "FOLKS" and "Peoples" were Nations with several gangs in it, I thoughts it was just a gang called FOLKS lol.

All of it's crazy, people were more caught up with all that in the 90s and early 2000s here. Dying over some colors is silly. I was never into that, but living around the element you couldnt help but know this stuff going to school and playing ball with people in these gangs.
Indeed Brother! You first to get the meaning in my name right ( True Southerner you are). 662 for North Miss.

For Tennessee it is definitely the West section have the largest numbers but a fair presence and the rest of the state. Arkansas got decent presence. Louisiana I don't think so outside a few spots. Texas got some in Houston and few spots. Georgia: Atlanta, few other cities. A couple spots in NC , SC (?), FL ( never heard of any there), Virginia (?). I notice that VLs tend to be more in clusters than spread out like GDs.

Gangbanging in my state peak in mid 80s to early 90s I assume. Hard to pull news articles from the past focus on gang activity due to local politics. Now days its more about cliques than affiliations except for the Delta & parts of the Gulf Coast & South Miss to some degree. I agree with you about the bandanas & colors tips , same here more or less on the individuals. I too didnt know much about the history until I started researching it. It's lengthy and intriguing in Chicago.

Don't forget about the BDs too. They here n there in your state and Macon too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime