Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2022, 02:19 PM

17,403 posts, read 16,553,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Peru View Post
A garrote is a very strange device to drag a body with
Most people strangle someone with their hands, I imagine it would be a very personal, even intimate way to strangle - the strangler would be looking right at their face, even looking into their eyes.
A garrote takes all that away - you're behind the victim and don't need to touch them, you just turn the stick (or paintbrush).
Garrotes are almost unheard of and rarely used these days.
The murderer foresaw what strangulation with their hands would involve and used a relatively unknown implement to avoid it at all costs.
This points to someone who knew JonBenet very well. So well that the thought of looking into her eyes while strangling her made them balk, they knew they weren't capable of doing it that way.
It would have to be a parent, no way Burke knew what a garrote was.
I can see Patsy reading a romance/murder novel where a garrote was used.
I think these are all good points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2022, 04:02 PM

26,748 posts, read 26,841,237 times
Quote:
Except that there's no evidence that her body was dragged.

Old 02-14-2022, 08:55 PM

9,500 posts, read 2,923,440 times
Quote:
Most people strangle someone with their hands, I imagine it would be a very personal, even intimate way to strangle - the strangler would be looking right at their face, even looking into their eyes.
A garrote takes all that away - you're behind the victim and don't need to touch them, you just turn the stick (or paintbrush).
The murderer foresaw what strangulation with their hands would involve and used a relatively unknown implement to avoid it at all costs.
This points to someone who knew JonBenet very well. So well that the thought of looking into her eyes while strangling her made them balk, they knew they weren't capable of doing it that way.
I can’t imagine what any reason to kill your own young child, poor baby going through the terror of being strangled to death especially by someone who should be the one protecting her

Old 02-14-2022, 10:02 PM

5,717 posts, read 4,298,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartGotts View Post
No need for snark.
OK then...

Quote:

And it was pointed out that nobody was dragged.

Quote:

Strange way to put it. Intimate?

Quote:

Were they commonly used at one time?

Quote:

You are mind reading, and not only know what they are thinking but what they foresaw. That's quite a feat. But this is not the only reason they might have used a garrote.

Quote:

This points to someone who knew JonBenet very well.

Well no, because your premise may very well be wrong in the first place. If there are multiple conceivable reasons someone might use a garrote your conclusion based on that premise is invalid. And any adult could strangle a 6 year old to death from behind too, and not have to look at them.

Quote:

So well that the thought of looking into her eyes while strangling her made them balk, they knew they weren't capable of doing it that way.
They wouldn't have had to, and that should be pretty obvious to most adults.

Quote:

A lot people see Patsy doing things with their florid imaginations, but they all lack any substantive evidence suggesting that they're right.

Old 02-15-2022, 07:12 AM

Quote:
There was a post a few pages back that said she was dragged by a garotte.
Read the autopsy report, which would have indicated this if it were true. Possibly you're thinking of this device in regard to military use.

Old 02-15-2022, 08:13 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,346,774 times
If BR had struck a blow that our JBR unconscious, I don't see where dragging her body has a relation to the garrote. She was small enough to pick up..

Old 02-15-2022, 09:20 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,883,118 times
The only new information that caught my mind when listening to two of the popular true crime podcasts that recently reviewed this was that apparently Burke previously hit JBR with a golf club, although I think it was said that this was an accident. They mentioned this kind of quickly and didn’t really discuss the context or many details.

The other thing that was mentioned, was that apparently Patsy got really really mad at JBR when she wet the bed. Per the podcast, apparently she yelled at her for doing it and punished her. This seemed really odd to me to get that upset at a child. That is an involuntary action that she can’t help, so if this is true that she really did get that mad at her for this, it’s a little weird..

I may have heard of these details before, but just forgot them. This case has been ongoing for so long that I can’t remember some of the details I’ve previously heard.

Old 02-15-2022, 10:11 PM

5,717 posts, read 4,298,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
The only new information that caught my mind when listening to two of the popular true crime podcasts that recently reviewed this was that apparently Burke previously hit JBR with a golf club, although I think it was said that this was an accident. They mentioned this kind of quickly and didn’t really discuss the context or many details.

Right. It was an accident. My brother hit me in the face with a baseball bat once, and I was gushing blood like a geyser and had to go to the hospital for stitches. But it was an accident.

Quote:
The other thing that was mentioned, was that apparently Patsy got really really mad at JBR when she wet the bed. Per the podcast, apparently she yelled at her for doing it and punished her. This seemed really odd to me to get that upset at a child. That is an involuntary action that she can’t help, so if this is true that she really did get that mad at her for this, it’s a little weird..

I may have heard of these details before, but just forgot them. This case has been ongoing for so long that I can’t remember some of the details I’ve previously heard.

Well the bedwetting rumor stuff makes great fodder for armchair theorizing but doesn't help solve the murder. Lets say JB did wet the bed a lot. Lets say Patsy did get angry.

Where does that lead us? Nowhere, unless we are willing to fabricate entire murderous scenarios out of it.

Old 02-16-2022, 04:46 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,883,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Right. It was an accident. My brother hit me in the face with a baseball bat once, and I was gushing blood like a geyser and had to go to the hospital for stitches. But it was an accident.

Well the bedwetting rumor stuff makes great fodder for armchair theorizing but doesn't help solve the murder. Lets say JB did wet the bed a lot. Lets say Patsy did get angry.

Where does that lead us? Nowhere, unless we are willing to fabricate entire murderous scenarios out of it.
Firstly, I’m glad you were right there with a first hand view to witness Burke “accidentally” hit JBR. The way you say it was an accident so definitively, makes it seem like you know that for a fact. In reality, you have know clue whether it was an accident or not. You weren’t there, so you’re going off the Ramsay’s word….. “If” it wasn’t an accident, it adds to suspicion to Burke as a suspect.

Second, it is weird and disturbing how Patsy reacted so angrily to JBR’s bed wetting. If true (which I qualified in my post), it is important because if she can get that angry over something like that, that JBR has no control over, it makes it more plausible that she could have snapped at her, and it makes her more suspicious.

Unlike you, I’m not trying to find out “Where does that lead us?” Just simply posted the new details I picked up, which somehow triggered you and you decided to twist into something deeper.

This is one of the biggest unsolved cases in history, and I am free to comment on it how I please. Not once in the post you responded to did I “speculate” anything. You did that……

Old 02-16-2022, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Firstly, I’m glad you were right there with a first hand view to witness Burke “accidentally” hit JBR. The way you say it was an accident so definitively, makes it seem like you know that for a fact. In reality, you have know clue whether it was an accident or not. You weren’t there, so you’re going off the Ramsay’s word….. “If” it wasn’t an accident, it adds to suspicion to Burke as a suspect.
He probably read the transcripts. Both parents were interviewed more than once about the incident.

THOMAS HANEY: Okay. There was mention while we are talking about that, there was mention of a situation where he apparently hit JonBenet with a golf club up at Charlevoix?

PATSY RAMSEY: Yes.

THOMAS HANEY: Could you tell us about that?

PATSY RAMSEY: He was taking a practice swing, he was just a little guy, he was two or three, or two and a half, and he was -- it was our first summer there, how young they were there.

THOMAS HANEY: About what year would that have been?

PATSY RAMSEY: That was '93, I believe. And he, you know, he was out there with his little Whiffle ball, golf balls, and she walked up behind and he kind of clipped her right on the cheek. And she screamed bloody murder. And I jumped down off the porch and grabbed her and, you know, slammed ice on it. I thought he got her in the eye, and went down there to the emergency room and, you know, the doctor looked and it was just, you know, that socket around your eye, protects your eye there, so she had a good old black eye for a while. She had a little, I don't remember which eye it was, little abrasion. I took her to a plastic surgeon just to see if there was anything to do to help there. He said it will go away. You know.

THOMAS HANEY: So that was just an accidental --

PATSY RAMSEY: Yeah. You know, he wasn't used to looking around and she walked right up behind him, so --

THOMAS HANEY: Okay.

TRIP DeMUTH: And who was the doctor?

PATSY RAMSEY: Oh, somebody there at the emergency room in Charlevoix.

Quote:
Second, it is weird and disturbing how Patsy reacted so angrily to JBR’s bed wetting. If true (which I qualified in my post), it is important because if she can get that angry over something like that, that JBR has no control over, it makes it more plausible that she could have snapped at her, and it makes her more suspicious.
JBR's bed was dry that morning. The bedwetting theory is Steve Thomas's, and was the premise of his book (for which he was later sued for defamation). He believed that PR slammed her against a bathtub because of the bedwetting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime