Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 02:01 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I feel sorry for her.....But, I am personally sick and tired of all the glorifying of mass murderers in our society.
Can you expound upon the 'glorifying' part on this commentary?

I sincerely want to understand this..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2017, 06:48 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post

There are several dictionary examples.

But, IMO the fact that we keep talking about people who did atrocious criminal acts, for years i.e. Manson, Lacey, the Uni-bomber....so many more. Who are only known for these atrocious criminal acts ....and after which they become household names..making them some sort of celebrity.

I can understand educationally the need to try to figure out what makes someone into these monsters....But, the focus becomes about them, not the atrocious act and not the victims.

Hope that helps.

ETA The best explanation of "glorifying" or "celebrity" as I used it....Google Dahmer....or any other famous criminals name.

Last edited by JanND; 11-12-2017 at 07:04 AM..

Old 11-12-2017, 08:09 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,476,460 times
Quote:

But, IMO the fact that we keep talking about people who did atrocious criminal acts, for years i.e. Manson, Lacey, the Uni-bomber....so many more. Who are only known for these atrocious criminal acts ....and after which they become household names..making them some sort of celebrity.

I can understand educationally the need to try to figure out what makes someone into these monsters....But, the focus becomes about them, not the atrocious act and not the victims.

Hope that helps.

ETA The best explanation of "glorifying" or "celebrity" as I used it....Google Dahmer....or any other famous criminals name.
They are indeed famous, just not in a positive way. I bet there are a lot of people who know the names Hitler, Mussolini, and Un, too. Personally, I am glad that I know these names, and the terrible acts associated with them, so that I will be able to use the lessons learned to avoid repeating the mistakes of those who fell victim.

Old 11-12-2017, 08:15 AM

2,264 posts, read 1,484,575 times
This thread illustrates a chronic problem with studying crime - many people can't comprehend the difference between trying to understand behavior and making excuses for that behavior. Attempts to identify environmental factors common to certain crimes are assumed to be absolving the criminal of responsibility. This is not so, but they shut down the discussion anyway.

Old 11-12-2017, 08:51 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
Quote:

Hope that helps.

Appreciate that clarification. I hadn't seen it in that manner. I do understand your concern here...the victims and the act/harm get sidelined.

Old 11-12-2017, 11:26 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post

Always great to be asked for clarification in such a pleasant way. Thanks. Glad it helped.

Old 11-12-2017, 04:49 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,017,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Those services are assumed to be relevant to the poor, teen moms, people like that. An affluent middle-class addict would never hear about them.
This is true ,in 1962 our mom smoked and drank with my sister and I to cover up some sort of mental illness and back then sometimes the Dr's would Rx this , before she finally succumbed to a stroke after 16 years of alcoholic dementia at age 80. Never once seeking any sort of help for her mental health issues.

My sister is very ill with Schizophrenia and I have internal issues that really affect my life and my work when I am able to.

Mom and dad were both very affluent from affluent families. In the 60's and 70's no one talked and money could make it go away or never exist .
My mother Is finally at rest and at peace I hope , but she would never have utilized a service like that ,although badly needed, and would have probably gotten angrier if anyone had confronted her about it or told her no .

Old 11-12-2017, 05:31 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,103,034 times
I’m concerned regarding a recent trend for media reporting that the perpetrators of some of these horrific & high profile crimes; are actually Autistic ( examples: James Holmes/Aurora theatre shooting & Adam Lanza/Connecticut school shooting).

With so much PC going on with not using phrases like “black perpetrator” or “female victim”; I’m surprised that they don’t get called out on this.

I’m afraid that their lack of knowledge could lead to public opinion being that of seeing Autistic people as the next “Boogey Man” & its going to lead to furthering the isolation & alienation of those who are the least likely to self-advocate.

It’s an understandable mistake, even for those who specialize in Neuropsychiatry, because so many psychiatric diagnosis’s share affective features of social impairment with Autism diagnosis. In the case of Jeffery Dahmer, a research study authored by a JA Silva, stated that it had been suggested that Dahmer had Asperger’s due to his fathers statements of him being socially awkward, with poor eye contact, etc. but that there were too many contraindications & comorbidities to actually assign that diagnosis to him.

Dahmer’s official but retrospective diagnosis ( due to being killed in prison) was : “ Personality Disorder Not Otherwise Specified, With Schizoid, Antisocial & Schizotypal Traits”.
Jeffrey Dahmer: His Complicated, Comorbid Psychopathologies and Treatment Implications | Strubel | The New School Psychology Bulletin

Another frequent assumption is of Autism as Schizophrenia, also due to atypical social interactions. What is interesting is that new research has found that while Autism & Schizophrenia share abnormalities in the same area of the brain; the causative features are actually the complete opposite: Its called “Synaptic Pruning” & Autistic brains don’t do enough of it, while Schizophrenic brains, do too much of it.https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/...naptic-pruning

What is truly concerning, is that this Synaptic process/lack there of is now being suspected in neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, and Huntington’s as well as Autism & Schizophrenia. What is causing this?

“All of this raises intriguing questions. Is it possible that many common brain disorders, despite their wide-ranging symptoms, are caused or at least worsened by the same culprit, a component of the immune system?”
https://www.technologyreview.com/s/6...eck-the-brain/

A damaged immune system ... Someone ought to get to work on that ...

Meanwhile; are you in imminent danger from a truly Autistic person?

The answer is likely to be similar to that of being in danger from any other person; in the event that other person has been “triggered” into aggression.

Most neurotypical people canbe triggered ... Try shoving yourself into a checkout line in a crowded store ahead of people who have been waiting. Or treating an animal with cruelty, or carelessly endangering somebody on the road. Those are understandable triggers that would inspire an understandable reaction. An Autistic person’s triggers are likely to be very un-understandable.

My 13 year old Autistic son is six foot tall & almost 200lbs. One of his harder to manage triggers is ... Whistling. The sound of whistling is literally painful to his hyper-sensory ears. And he lacked the verbal skills to communicate that much to me until about 1 year ago.

When I think of all those years of major meltdowns in grocery stores that happened “for no reason” ( in my eyes) ... The bad thing now is, that now that he recognizes what it is? He recognizes there is a “who” it is.

My job, is to have him in arms reach or in hand at all times. To remind him “We don’t control other people”. To divert... about face or exit stage left at a moments (or whistles) notice to avoid the sound & physically restrain or simply put myself in between, the “whistler” & him.

Have I incurred physical injury due to this? Yes. Has any innocent person who just likes to whistle? No.

Is this in any way similar to Dahmer-like capacity for violence? Hardly. Although, it’s not unlikely that those with that capacity will share similar traits. Or possibly, a potentially similar cause; of a damaged brain.

Old 11-12-2017, 07:07 PM

928 posts, read 969,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
It would be a great course to have in school.

Also, parents who use alcohol drugs, certain meds that they are not suppose to take during pregnancy, get a prison term along with therapy.

I have seen Children with Fetal Alchohol Syndrome that the mother never had any illegal consequences.
Yes, couldn't agree more and the idiot doctors who think it's a great idea to prescribe 27 pills a day to a pregnant mother, them too!

Old 11-12-2017, 07:20 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,745,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
Watching True Crime, I've noticed that most of them were neglected and/or abused as infants or young children.

We need to figure out how to educate people about proper care and parenting before they have kids.
Not always true.

Some of them are just born sociopaths. It's faulty wiring in the brain. They have no empathy and no compassion. They torture animals (and then humans) so that they can FEEL something.

Those of us who are not sociopaths can't really understand why they do the things they do.

Dahmer was a sociopath.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime