Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 11:18 AM

4,823 posts, read 4,945,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Why would the phone be evidence? There is nothing in the phone of relevance that can't be gathered from call records. Phones don't automatically record the content of a call unless you intentionally install software to do that.

So, if he handed over his phone, he'd be allowing police to view every photo in there, likely every email, every text message, every video. None of which are relevant to the case, and some of which could potentially be embarrassing for reasons that have nothing to do with the case. He's a celebrity, so there would be temptation by some in the police force to "leak" anything even mildly titillating on the phone for the gossip factor.

In light of all that, I wouldn't hand over my phone, either. There's zero benefit and enormous risk. So, no, the fact that they don't want to allow access to a device with a lot of personal and private content, when needed info can be had other ways, is not, at all, suspicious.
The phone log relates to verifying that, in fact, Smollette was on the phone with the agent; the agent's phone should have the same simultaneous call.

The phone call log isn't about the actual verification of the attack and slurs, it's to verify he was even on the phone at all, let alone with the agent who surfaced this unmentioned detail like 24-28 hours after the incident, you know, when Smollette's story was really tanking.

Btw, this story is still being reported with updates on national news. Unbelievable.

Last edited by Kamms; 02-01-2019 at 11:44 AM..

Old 02-01-2019, 11:36 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,485,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
So on the news, they gave a quick update, a witness said that he/she saw this guy with a noose hanging around his neck, but he was not walking toward security. As if he was just walking around with it maybe BEFORE the alleged incident happened.

Now Fox 32 news this morning, said that there is talk about this incident not being a true story.

Aha, so now the doubts are being reported.

This all points to a hoax.
But this is their MO. The damage is already done and now very few are following or reporting on the story so the masses will never hear that it was a hoax. All the masses will remember is that it happened the way the fake news stations told them so. MAGA hats and all. Crazy world we're living in...

Old 02-01-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
But this is their MO. The damage is already done and now very few are following or reporting on the story so the masses will never hear that it was a hoax. All the masses will remember is that it happened the way the fake news stations told them so. MAGA hats and all. Crazy world we're living in...
Local affiliates around the country are still carrying this story and the updates; ABC not, of course, mentioning any doubts of the veracity of the story and, obviously, of its own reporting.

Old 02-01-2019, 11:55 AM

2,820 posts, read 2,287,063 times
Eh..I'm not sure how much to make of the lack of phone matters. If you're a (minor) celebrity I could see not wanting to turn over your phone. Plus if you were going to stage a hoax you could easily stage a phone call as part of that.

I have my suspicions about this, but I have only very limited info from media reports. I'm trying not too get to out in front of my skiis on this.

Old 02-01-2019, 12:07 PM

2,195 posts, read 1,854,599 times
One of my black FB friends (and every one of his black friends commenting) think this is a made up story....

Old 02-01-2019, 12:09 PM

5,745 posts, read 4,701,984 times
This story is a lie.

It has been on the national evening news every night this week.

Once it comes out as a proven lie, I doubt that the national news networks will mention it. They will just ghost it like it never happened.

Absolute propaganda machines they are.

Old 02-01-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
This story is a lie.

It has been on the national evening news every night this week.

Once it comes out as a proven lie, I doubt that the national news networks will mention it. They will just ghost it like it never happened.

Absolute propaganda machines they are.
Yep, the media will ghost this story ASAP...

Old 02-01-2019, 12:55 PM

5,014 posts, read 9,464,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Why would the phone be evidence? There is nothing in the phone of relevance that can't be gathered from call records. Phones don't automatically record the content of a call unless you intentionally install software to do that.

So, if he handed over his phone, he'd be allowing police to view every photo in there, likely every email, every text message, every video. None of which are relevant to the case, and some of which could potentially be embarrassing for reasons that have nothing to do with the case. He's a celebrity, so there would be temptation by some in the police force to "leak" anything even mildly titillating on the phone for the gossip factor.

In light of all that, I wouldn't hand over my phone, either. There's zero benefit and enormous risk. So, no, the fact that they don't want to allow access to a device with a lot of personal and private content, when needed info can be had other ways, is not, at all, suspicious.
It would give an exact time of the attack, which would be of great help in piecing together the "video puzzle" that the Tribune wrote about this morning. As you know, they are trying to piece together video footage of the "two persons of interest" and video footage of the alleged victim from various cameras to find out what happened, since there's no footage whatsoever of the attack itself or of the three people together in one place.

Let me give an illustration (can't believe I need to but ok). Say the phone records show the call with the agent went from 2:03 a.m. to 2:05 a.m. The agent says he heard the "MAGA!" cry on the phone. So if the two persons of interest appear on a camera 3 blocks away from the alleged site of the attack during that time window, the phone evidence would rule them out and the police could look at other avenues.

Old 02-01-2019, 01:03 PM

21,939 posts, read 9,508,101 times
Overwhelmingly on the comments section of yahoo article the sentiment is hoax.

Old 02-01-2019, 01:06 PM

1,022 posts, read 774,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Overwhelmingly on the comments section of yahoo article the sentiment is hoax.

The comments on facebook and youtube as well are filled with endless remarks about this being fake
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime