Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 09:26 AM

2 posts, read 4,785 times

Advertisements

Hi. I'm moving to Tucson in April 2011. I'm interested in finding out the most popular places for meeting people in the area. I'm early 30's, in the military, enjoy hiking, cycling and triathlon/racing events. I know absolutely no one out there.

So far, all I've read says L.A. Fitness for attractive women. While I will definitely be on board for attractive women, I can't live at the gym. I want to get out, meet people and have an active social life. Being recently single and not moving with a significant other, I guess I'm a little lost on where to live, what to do and where to go in order to meet people in the area.

I know this kind of thing probably gets beat to death on here, but any help will be appreciated!
Thanks,
Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 09:41 AM

4,235 posts, read 14,066,008 times
you've probably heard of meetup.com.....several very active groups of it here in Tucson.....there are several hiking and biking groups and a dedicated marathon/triathlon "community".....I'm not a marathoner, but know of a few people who are into it.....if you have a street bike, biking up some or all of the Mt Lemmon highway is very popular and Le Buzz is a favorite coffee stop before or after.....though not in-your-face popular, biking is well-regarded here....year-round hiking possibilities all over - down low in the winter and up on Mt Lemmon in the summer.....

I'd join meetup first thing you do when you arrive.....are you going to be living at DM?

Old 07-07-2010, 01:28 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,807,738 times
where are you moving from?

Old 07-07-2010, 06:18 PM

2 posts, read 4,785 times
Thanks for the info. That helps a ton.

I'll be moving from Alabama. I'm in the Army, and will be working north of Marana. I'm interested in living in an upscale-type of area, with good amenities nearby. I don't quite know if I want to rent a house or an apartment, but QUALITY is SO much more importan than price or anything else. Being in Alabama, I've lived in my fair share of #$^tholes. I"m done with that style of living and want some place that's nice, where other people are in the same type of life situation that I am (active, non-drug, non-gang, etc etc etc).

I appreciate the advice and will check out meetup.com

Thanks again.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:11 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,323,563 times
I'll again recommend my favorite Website for browsing the real estate market in Tucson. You can familiarize yourself with the market without having to commit to anything. This site doesn't look like much, but it's comprehensive and not beholden to any particular RE company. If you see something you like in the thumbnail photos, you can then look for more detail using the MLS # on the seller's Realtor's site.
Create Your own Tucson Home Search

If you decide to go the rental apartment route, let us know where you'll need to go to work -- Tucson is spread out over a very large area and you might not want to live in a far NW suburb if you have to go to D-M every day. A good central location for rentals and condos is River Road or Orange Grove Road, both east and west of Oracle. I used to sell furniture in Tucson and I delivered an untold number of leather sofas to young singles in apartments in that area. Lots of people new to jobs at the University Medical Center favor that neighborhood. It's close to the bars and restaurants on Campbell south of River and the Tucson Mall and big box stores on Oracle.

I second azdr's recommendation of Meetup.com. There are currently nearly 300 Meetup groups in Tucson. Included are multiple hiking and biking groups. Plus adventure touring, triathlon, general fitness, horseback/motorcycle riding, singles who get together to golf, etc., etc. And for afterwards, there are food, wine, beer, dancing, and bar-hopping Meetups.
Meetups near Tucson, Arizona - Meetup.com

Good luck!

Old 07-07-2010, 10:30 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,708,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattR77 View Post
Thanks for the info. That helps a ton.

I'll be moving from Alabama. I'm in the Army, and will be working north of Marana. I'm interested in living in an upscale-type of area, with good amenities nearby. I don't quite know if I want to rent a house or an apartment, but QUALITY is SO much more importan than price or anything else. Being in Alabama, I've lived in my fair share of #$^tholes. I"m done with that style of living and want some place that's nice, where other people are in the same type of life situation that I am (active, non-drug, non-gang, etc etc etc).

I appreciate the advice and will check out meetup.com

Thanks again.
Quality without spending a bundle should not be a problem, Matt.

If you're working "North of Marana" then you'll more than likely be living in Marana, Oro Valley or possibly Northwest Tucson. You'll have more trouble finding a "bad" place to live than a good one in those areas.

Good Luck

Old 07-07-2010, 11:02 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,178,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Quality without spending a bundle should not be a problem, Matt.

If you're working "North of Marana" then you'll more than likely be living in Marana, Oro Valley or possibly Northwest Tucson. You'll have more trouble finding a "bad" place to live than a good one in those areas.

Good Luck
He can even rent in Red Rock if he wants a house. I'd imagine the rent would be very reasonable there and he can be also close to Phoenix and enjoy its amenities as well. Of course, Red Rock is definitely not a "singles" scene, but then neither are any of the areas you're talking about.

Old 07-07-2010, 11:19 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,066,008 times
Matt: for your info, Red Rock is a very, very small "town" along I-10 that, about five years ago, got a big subdivision next to it called Red Rock Village.....it's about 30 miles from NW Tucson and maybe 15 from "old" Marana (the original part of Marana).....if single, I wouldn't move to Red Rock!!...it's remote....check Google Earth!!....

meetup is a national online thing, by the way...you'll have to register, but it's very, very good.....look around it.....

you say you'll be working north of Marana for the Army....wondering if that's at Pinal Air Park??....things are all very hush-hush there sometimes....old stories of CIA action and Air America have been "whispered" for decades!.....much ado abour nothing, I think....I know you'd have to kill me if you said where!

Old 07-07-2010, 11:30 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,178,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
Matt: for your info, Red Rock is a very, very small "town" along I-10 that, about five years ago, got a big subdivision next to it called Red Rock Village.....it's about 30 miles from NW Tucson and maybe 15 from "old" Marana (the original part of Marana).....if single, I wouldn't move to Red Rock!!...it's remote....check Google Earth!!....
I only suggested that because of its proximity to his job AND Phoenix (for social life). I also hear it's nice as far as subdivisions go. It's not like the rest of NW Tucson is any playground for singles!

Old 07-09-2010, 12:51 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,575,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
It's not like the rest of NW Tucson is any playground for singles!
Aw, c'mon, Sierra! Oro Valley is a hopping, crazy place until they roll up the sidewalks at about 7:00 p.m.! Oh, wait. The movie theater is open till midnight. So, see! That and the new Mickey D's in front of Home Depot and hey, you've got your evening all good to go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson