Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 02:08 PM

833 posts, read 1,712,913 times

Advertisements

Assuming it is a success and ignoring all of the issues with expanding it (and since it is NOT light rail and my ideas fit light-rail better we have a whole different set of issues to deal with) I would say expand it to the airport (via 6th Ave most likely) and north to at least the Tucson Mall; maybe as far as Magee & Oracle.

Head east along ideally Broadway to Park Place or maybe to Kolb (save Houghton for later and put a big Park & Ride in there). Speedway is another option, but I think Reid Park and the mall on Broadway makes it the winner.

Somewhere you need a link to the base; perhaps down Alvernon? You could then take it a few more miles and link the base to the airport and you get a loop.

This leaves a LOT of the city unsupported, but hey, we can't even get a cross-town freeway so we aren't going to get this in under 30 years if ever. Also, as I said above light rail would work a lot better than our hokey street car solution, so maybe we have transfer stations...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 09:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,782 times
Default Wow this project is sad

$200 Million dollars for this?

Cat-tran links UMC with U of A for FREE, no streetcar bus fair. So UMC to UofA, check. U of A to downtown? Who actually goes to downtown from U of A? A few students once in a while? fail.

And that about wraps up the streetcar.

Sure if it went from a huge park and ride lot to UA then to downtown it would have a purpose. You could park at the (hopefully cheap and large) lot and then take the streetcar to school or work. But this doesn't do that. It does practically nothing.

I estimate that it will be really useful for about 200 people. A million bucks a pop if my math checks out.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:12 PM

100 posts, read 177,121 times
On nights when a big band is at the Rialto, downtown is swamped. I literally could not find a place on the sidewalk one night. The crowds were swarming everywhere. Congress will become a very active place due to the high rise living nearby right now. I think the young crowds will want to be down there where it's happening. This is a different scene than the more staid parts of town. If you think the streetcar is a boondoogle, you probably don't go clubbing downtown, right? And you don't drink. And you aren't twenty five. It's about a different set of people.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:09 AM

833 posts, read 1,712,913 times
Soo... on the nights when the Rialto is full (which is what, a couple dozen a year), AND school is in session so everyone is out clubbing AND all of those people in the nearby high rise living (?) are wanting to go where (they live so close after all)... for this we spend $200,000,000?

Yup, we are a different set of people.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:33 PM

484 posts, read 970,267 times
I see it now as a huge investment that is going to lose money for a while, if not longer. But, and this is a big but, Tucson needs to implement infrastructure that the younger generation is looking for when choosing a place to live and work. I think that this will help but really I think it would be much better if the line extended much further around the city. <fingers crossed>

http://www.insidetucsonbusiness.com/...9bb2963f4.html

Last edited by robabeatle; 05-07-2012 at 01:23 PM..

Old 05-08-2012, 09:23 AM

191 posts, read 789,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robabeatle View Post
I see it now as a huge investment that is going to lose money for a while, if not longer. But, and this is a big but, Tucson needs to implement infrastructure that the younger generation is looking for when choosing a place to live and work. I think that this will help but really I think it would be much better if the line extended much further around the city. <fingers crossed>

Early planning may promote infill, benefits streetcar - Inside Tucson Business: News: rta,
robabeatle, thanks for posting that link. Yes, this modern streetcar is a long term investment project and I believe, will be extended all over Tucson. Wherever this streetcar runs, new construction projects follow. Also, it does makes sense to build all those brand new good quality student and non-student housing considering the shortage of good housing all over Tucson.

Most of the posters in this forum seek the same question over and over - Where can I find a nice and safe place to live? Answer: the brand new mixed use high or mid rise (apts/condos on top, offices and retail/grocers bottom) complexes along the modern street car route. I've rented most of my life and good quality rental housing in Tucson is extremely minimal.

Thanks to the modern streetcar , Tucson can build more of these

notice the rail tracks below

so we don't have to destroy these

The modern street car is Tucson's piped piper of progress to the 21st century and protector of the desert.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:47 AM

15 posts, read 19,046 times
All I can say is that I would hope that there are plans to expand the rail service beyond downtown and the UofA. As far as helping folks from the Eastside and Northside to get to the Downtown area. Otherwise it's a large waste of money

Old 05-31-2012, 02:35 PM

191 posts, read 789,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flexw1 View Post
All I can say is that I would hope that there are plans to expand the rail service beyond downtown and the UofA. As far as helping folks from the Eastside and Northside to get to the Downtown area. Otherwise it's a large waste of money
I agree. There's talk of expanding the rail service route --> link

One of three possible route is Broadway going east (which I prefer since that's where Reid Park and other shops are). Other routes are Campbell Ave and 6th Ave.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:35 PM

3,610 posts, read 1,206,242 times
For the 18 years I've lived in Tucson, I've heard people complain that Downtown was dead. And they were right! This project seems like a good way to help breathe life back into it. Years from now, we will probably look back and realize it was a worthwhile investment.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:59 PM

484 posts, read 970,267 times
On the Phoenix forum, it seems that the street car there is generally given the thumbs up.

Sure, it may not be utilized fully at first, nor is the route the most encompassing but it is very forward thinking of Tucson. A nice change for once.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson