Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 04:17 AM

112 posts, read 273,352 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My green thumb is about as green as dirt ~ lol! Could sure use some advice.

Has anybody had any success growing avocados in the Tucson area (zone 12)? What variety? Do you have to plant 2 trees somewhat close together for pollinating each other? Which side of your house did you plant it/them?

What tree mists? Sitting in your patio chair underneath the tree periodically the tree will mist you. What variety of tree does that? Is it a Mexican Bird Of Paridise?

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 11:40 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,569,659 times
This is info about Zone 12; and below that is a link to balcony gardening, and her specific column on growing avocados. If you want avocados, it probably won't happen. One of the commenters said that winters here kill avocado trees. Personally, I've never seen an avocado growing here.

Mexican Bird of Paradise is a flowering shrub. http://designinginthedesert.blogspot...-paradise.html

I have never heard of a tree mist, unless you're thinking of a watering hose that has a misting nozzle for watering delicate plants.

ZONE 12: Arizona’s intermediate desert
The crucial difference between Arizona’s intermediate desert (Zone 12) and the low desert (Zone 13) is winter cold. But though the intermediate desert averages only 5 more freezing nights than the low desert (20 in Tucson compared with 15 in Phoenix and El Centro), it has harder frosts spread over a longer cold season. Zone 12 averages about 8 months between freezes, 9 months between killing frosts of 28°F (–2°C) or lower. Zone 13, on the other hand, averages more than 11 months between killing frosts, when it gets them at all. Extreme low temperatures of 6°F (–14°C) have been recorded in Zone 12.
The mean maximums in July and August are 5 or 6°F cooler than the highs of Zone 13. Many subtropicals that do well in Zone 13 aren’t reliably hardy here, but succeed with protection against the extreme winters. Although winter temperatures are lower than in Zone 13, the total hours of cold are not enough to provide sufficient winter chilling for some deciduous fruits. From March to May, strong winds (to 40 miles per hour) can damage young tender growth. Windbreaks help. Here, as in Zone 13 and the eastern parts of Zone 10, summer rains are to be expected and can be more dependable than winter rains.And as in Zone 13, the best season for cool-season crops (salad greens, root vegetables, cabbage family members) starts in September or October.

The Balcony Garden: Growing Avocados

Last edited by Marcy1210; 04-28-2012 at 11:54 PM.. Reason: Links added

Old 04-29-2012, 06:11 AM

Default Avocado Trees and Misting Trees

Thanks Marcy1210!! Great info!! It's the "Red" that I remember with vibrant floral color and wispy willow-like leaves, but thought it misted. Hhmmm, back to the drawing board, or should I say gardening book, I go.

There is a tree that will intermitently give off a mist-like moisture, or itty-bitty droplets of water, that help cool down the person or critter taking refuge in its shade. If anyone out there knows of such a tree I would like to plant it on the west side of my home between patio and fence, smaller yard (lot is .11 acres with east facing ranch-style 3-bdrm/2-bath home on it). Thanks in advance .

Old 04-29-2012, 05:52 PM

461 posts, read 1,313,402 times
Finernfrogfur...you are right about the misting tree. The first place I discovered this was at the Children's Memorial Park in town. I was working out with a group of ladies a few nights a week and we always picked under that tree. I thought I was being spit on, but turns out it was the tree. I have no idea what the name is. I'll do some research...

Old 04-29-2012, 08:01 PM

1,024 posts, read 2,746,838 times
For all your questions you might check in with the folks at Mesquite Valley Growers over at Broadway and Pantano. They have several horticulturalist on staff there and a lot of very knowledgable people in general.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:24 AM

Default Gardening and/or Landscaping Ideas Wanted...please/thanks!!

Avocado Trees and Misting Trees
Thanks jksn75 and RickTucsonHomes!! I'll check back to see if you can tell me the name of that tree. Will have to take a drive over to Mesquite and see what they've got. Looks like a huge place...might need to bring a bag lunch 'cause I'll be there a while ~ lol.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:19 AM

4,598 posts, read 6,352,889 times
Well, our Pecan trees "mist"...but it's really just the sticky excrement from thousands of aphids in the trees....

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 05-06-2012, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
Well, our Pecan trees "mist"...but it's really just the sticky excrement from thousands of aphids in the trees....

Regards
Gemstone1
Nope, not that kind of mist. Guess I need to keep researching.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:04 AM

461 posts, read 1,313,402 times
Yea, I couldn't find the answer either. I'm thinking it could be a Desert Willow.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:22 AM

Default Avocado Trees and Misting Trees

No, I'm afraid Desert Willow isn't it either. This has become a brain teaser for sure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson