Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2012, 08:19 PM

22 posts, read 67,612 times

Advertisements

Hi, I will be moving to the area in a few months. I will be swimming at UA's swimming pool with the club team, Tucson Ford Aquatics, so I want to be within a 15 min drive. I want to be close to the grocery stores in case I need to walk or take the bus. Can you mention areas that are not too expensive? I am 38yrs old, single, female, non partier. I will probably rent a room to start off and then rent a townhouse or house. What are the rental ranges for a room to rent? (I know this can vary)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 08:31 PM

484 posts, read 970,400 times
No offense, but you are starting several threads asking very similar questions, many of which have been asked many times before...

That said:

You could find a place just east of the U in the Sam Hughes district. Maybe a guest house or share a house if you dont mind. Craigslist has a lot listed but there are just as many rentals in Tucson that you will only find by driving through the neighborhoods. For instance, my last place there was ~650 sq ft., very large lot, very quiet, duplex (my neighbor was older and never made a peep of a sound) in mid town. I paid $450 for rent, not including electric, internet, gas. I dont think that I can find that kind of a deal on CL. Anyway, you can walk to grocery stores fro Sam Hughes, depending on exactly where you live. I would suggest a bike though. It will make you much more mobile and you can get to anything you need with a bike.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:36 PM

Thanks for the input. So you rented your own place for $450/mo? If so, thats a steal. Did they do a credit check? Im in the process of repairing mine which is why I am thinking of renting just a room.

Karrah

Old 05-08-2012, 08:47 PM

484 posts, read 970,400 times
No credit check. If you have reasonable circumstances, talk to the landlord and be honest. Maybe offer two months up front?

I personally would not rent in an apartment complex, though you would likely get better (newer) appliances, nicer interior, etc. for the same price. But, you have neighbors all around (noisy). The benefits of the complex don't matter too much to me. YMMV

Seriously, your best bet is to get to town and drive around.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:04 PM

Will do once I get to town. Thanks again!!

Old 05-09-2012, 07:47 AM

191 posts, read 789,519 times
Karrahs, in addition to what robabeatle suggested, might want to look at areas close to the UMC, the U of A Hospital (north of U of A). I wouldn't live in the south of U of A. West of U of A , might want to avoid that also .

Here's a thread that I responded, Traffic, West Tucson, and other questions . There's 2 small apts that you might like (with links). And yes, the "nicer" apts in Tucson do check your credit record. My credit history swings wildly, so I had experience Good Luck.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:58 AM

444 posts, read 1,352,483 times
You can rent a room relatively close to the university in a house or townhouse for under $500 including utilities. I would worry more about the roommate than the house, but you should generally stay east and north of the university. There is an area on the northwest corner of Euclid and Speedway where my wife lived for a period with a roommate. Very cute house, nice neighborhood, and I think she paid about $500. Wrong side of campus, obviously, but good luck with finding something close to the aquatic center that isn't student-y or very expensive. I rented on the east side of Sam Hughes (a block from Country Club) and paid about $500. I could walk to Rincon Market from there, which was nice.
That said, being walking distance to a supermarket and still in a good area is extremely rare in Tucson. My own personal experience has been at the place I mentioned and when I lived on Campbell across from the Albertson's. You can look at the latter area, but it's not as safe as other areas. A lot of low-end rentals and some street crime (female friend of mine in the same complex got mugged in the middle of the afternoon and there were a number of car break-ins). The big benefit there is that you qualify for a UA CatTran shuttle pass, which runs down Mountain Avenue to campus. There are buses as well into UA if you don't want to drive. I would ride the bus or bike, if I were you. Parking can be a bit much at UA.
Hope that helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
View detailed profiles of: