Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 09:14 AM

1,087 posts, read 3,518,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Mudpuppy. Is this your first time in the SouthWest?
Visited many times before, one time for a whole month, but this is my first time living here. I'm sure I will adjust to some of the critters eventually. I'm moving into the house today. It's a 2007 house. Not brand new but new to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2012, 10:04 AM

2,841 posts, read 3,199,649 times
Rattlesnakes control the rodent population. Once you have dealt with packrat damage in your house, car, garage,etc. you may think more favorably about the snakes. Scorpions love to eat crickets, which keeps the house quieter in the summer. LOL

Old 11-23-2012, 02:34 PM

205 posts, read 729,839 times
This may be a really dumb question but hey, I'm a damn yankee so I'm allowed : Do you folks find any need to keep anti-venom on hand? I don't even know if it keeps for any period of time or if it's even necessary. Would hate to find out the hard way

Old 11-23-2012, 05:39 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,704,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom4416 View Post
This may be a really dumb question but hey, I'm a damn yankee so I'm allowed : Do you folks find any need to keep anti-venom on hand? I don't even know if it keeps for any period of time or if it's even necessary. Would hate to find out the hard way
Not necessary, Tom . . . just keep reminding them they are more afraid of you than you are of them.

Old 11-23-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Not necessary, Tom . . . just keep reminding them they are more afraid of you than you are of them.
Yeh, what if the one in my yard hasn't read the rule book . I'm more afraid of lifting a rock with one under it or stepping on one accidentally and him not appreciating the interruption!

Old 11-23-2012, 06:42 PM

317 posts, read 576,573 times
leave 'em in there at least you know your house wont get robbed

Old 11-23-2012, 07:37 PM

1,024 posts, read 2,748,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom4416 View Post
Yeh, what if the one in my yard hasn't read the rule book . I'm more afraid of lifting a rock with one under it or stepping on one accidentally and him not appreciating the interruption!
Well, just had a rattler encounter myself! Had a baby one up on my patio about two foot from the door. As soon as I let my dogs out they started acting wierd, so I turned on the porch light and there the little fellow was! Dogs wouldn't come inside, they thought it was quite interesting. Finally got them in and called the Fire Department. Tom, and other newcomers, you might check with your fire service and see if they do snake removal. I have Golder Ranch in Oro Valley and they will remove them, you are last on the priority list, so if they have any type of emergency they will tend to it first. This is the 4th one I have had removed from my yard in my 24 years here. I am in the heart of Oro Valley but my house does back up to a natural area.

But if you do get bit get to the ER immediately. Do not try any of those old boy scout tricks for snake bites. Now they say those types of measures do more harm than good.

Old 11-23-2012, 07:50 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,046,521 times
Rattlesnakes are one of the least aggressive snakes around. As others here have stated, they fill an important niche in the ecosystem.
I've personally encountered them and all the other mentioned critters multiple times. Live in harmony with your local creatures if you can. Send them some good thoughts to stay away from the house. Animal Kingdom creatures are sensitive to human vibrations, IMO. And watch your step. You're integrating into their world, after all

Old 11-24-2012, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Send them some good thoughts to stay away from the house. Animal Kingdom creatures are sensitive to human vibrations, IMO. And watch your step. You're integrating into their world, after all
How about instead of good thoughts I send them a load of buckshot and a proper funeral Just kidding, don't like wiping out any critters if it can be avoided but lost a dog to a copperhead once and would prefer no close encounters of the third kind with a rattler. Our current dog is curious as heck an I'm sure if he encounters one, will think of it as a new chew toy.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:05 AM

398 posts, read 545,701 times
I tend to side with the idea that snakes don't read the "rule book". Coming home the other day I was taking a very pleasant drive through residential neighborhood and passed a place were a lot of kids play and people jog regularly. Someone---maybe the city?---had placed a well lettered sign reminding people that they could encounter snakes or alligators in the area.
There are probably few things that could cancel my morning run like the probability of running into either of these creatures.

I'm still trying to get my head around the idea of running into a gator or a water mocasin here in Miss. Anyone have any thoughts on "appropriate etiquette". The first thing that comes to mind is to back up slowly. What do you folks do if you turn over a rock and surprise a snake? Does it make a difference if the area is enclosed (IE. garage; shed) as compared to out in the yard? Any special thoughts about Hiking kinds of activities? Thoughts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson