Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2013, 02:12 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,573,613 times

Advertisements

I have looked in the phone book, online and made a few calls, but I can't find which agency is responsible for providing services for a mildly mentally disabled 24 year old to aid him in independent, possibly Section 8 housing, Medicaid, Food Stamps, etc. I got the run around with no one seeming to know who to call, all the way from being told to call Catholic Charities, to someone giving me a domestic abuse hotline number. It can't be this difficult...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 02:26 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
TucsonAZ.gov Home | The Official Website for the City of Tucson, Arizona

https://az.gov/

Old 06-04-2013, 06:51 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
The problem is that those things are all controlled by different offices, so the city, as suggested above, may be a resource for finding some entity that can help, but they are not likely to be able to actually help with most of those services. Actually, it might be "this difficult" with cutbacks in social services everywhere.

It's worth a phone call, though. I don't know if Catholic Charities was helpful, but you could try calling the Tucson office of Lutheran Social Services of the Southwest. 520.748.2300 Again, they may just be a resource, but organizations like those tend to know what else is "out there".

EDIT: Here's another one... Catalina Community Services, 520-825-0009.

Last edited by observer53; 06-04-2013 at 06:59 AM..

Old 06-05-2013, 01:17 AM

^Thank you. I did find out from the online site that CSD posted, no Section 8 housing is being offered at this time. I'm guessing cutbacks, but I'll keep trying....

Old 06-05-2013, 04:11 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
Marcy, I get my health care at Marana Health Center (and I don't even live in Marana). It was suggested to me by a health care professional when I was unemployed and broke and was unhappy with some care I had received at NW Medical Center's Urgent Care facility. I've been going there ever since because their services are so comprehensive and the people are so caring. They have a beautiful facility and are offering amazing programs for the community.

I have had a couple of consultations with a social worker (they call them "outreach coordinators") on their staff regarding county and state programs appropriate for my elderly mother. I got really good information from her. The coordinators see people by appointment and they also have an "eligibility coordinator" to help low-income people access the programs they are eligible for. MHC's phone number is 520.682.4111 (which gets you to one of those annoying voice mail systems). If you leave a message, though, they're good about calling back. They have a number listed online for their Counseling and Wellness Center and given your issue, you might try there first. It's 616.6373.

If they aren't able to provide help for your friend, perhaps they could direct you to someone else to call. I've never met anyone there who wasn't exceedingly polite and seemingly willing to help to the best of their abilities so they might have some suggestions, if nothing else. Good luck.

Marana Health Center :: Home
Marana Health Center :: Outreach

Old 06-05-2013, 06:19 PM

Thanks, Jukes!!! Tried to rep you but I couldn't. I will give them a call.

I did find an apartment place called Limberlost Studio Apartments at 15 E. Limberlost by the Tucson Mall that I was thinking might work for an apartment. It's not Section 8, but it's cheap. Plus it's walkable to lots of places of employment since he doesn't have a car. I don't know what kind of an area that is for living, but I've been around there many times to go to the Mall, restaurants and to Auto Mall, and even at night, it feels okay. I haven't committed to the studio apartment, but if it's a fairly safe area, it might work.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:31 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
You're welcome, Marcy. When I worked at American Home on Oracle at River, we had a couple of young male employees who lived in the area and either walked or rode bikes to work because they were unable to drive. It probably is the safest area in Tucson where there is potential employment and residential possibilities. There's someone posting here a lot who is a cab driver who knows a lot about that neighborhood, although his name escapes me at the moment. If I come across it, I'll let you know or maybe someone else here will remember and speak up.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:58 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,061,905 times
AZ dept of economic security/ division of developmental disabilities www.Azdes.gov/ddd
You need a diagnosis of CP, epilepsy, mental handicap or autism
They provide all the services you are looking for including group homes if needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson