Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 11:15 AM

1,707 posts, read 4,342,665 times

Advertisements

Now that this thread has been completely changed to something new - I guess I will continue it - Unfortunately the thread title will not tell others the main thrust of the thread now (Maybe mod can change it to "CG amenities - Boston's Rest latest to come to town" or something.....anyway.

AZDR - just found this facebook page and it sort of confirms what I thought is coming to our downtown soon:

https://www.facebook.com/oldtownale

Not sure if it will be an actual microbrew at first or just a beer house in general - but sure seems to be getting a lot of buzz before it's even open!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 08:03 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,064,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh9730 View Post
A little confused as to part of your post though - I don't think there ever was an "outlet" mall at Florence Blvd?

that building or buildings that sorta face inward on themselves on the SW corner of I-10 and Florence Blvd used to be an outlet mall several years ago...(I guess more than eight years ago!).....I think it failed pretty quickly - possibly because it was hard to see what it was from the highway....I think it might now be a branch of some community college???.....

yes, just noticed that "Citygate" sign a few days ago while driving by the "original" outlet mall - and the Phoenixmart welcome center unit......when that place first opened as an outlet mall, a Liz Claiborne outlet had the prime end unit at that far north end right next to, and very, very visible from, the highway....we always remember that outlet center as the Liz Claiborne place......

Old 02-28-2015, 12:16 AM

AZ - Oh, I didn't realize that was once an outlet mall also - although the arrangement of the buildings would make sense that it was....today it houses the Border Patrol station, Cracker Barrell, the CAC annex you mentioned and then some medical and other offices....

Old 03-01-2015, 12:09 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,574,783 times
The Outlet Mall was Tangeray (or something close). We used to shop there the few time we took I-10 home to CO after Spring Training in Tucson. We'd also stop at the Ostrich Farm and a shop that sold walnuts, pecans and such. Once we settled in Tucson, we never went up that way, so it's been probably 10 years, at least.

Old 03-01-2015, 11:45 AM

Marcy - yes it was "Tanger" (the street name is still Tanger Dr) - but that one has now changed into "CityGate" a more traditional type strip mall (not all outlets) - although still a lot of empty suites in it.

What AZ is talking about is the other set of buildings up at Florence Blvd where the Cracker Barrel is - apparently that used to be an outlet mall at one time as well I guess.

Old 03-01-2015, 08:54 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,433,260 times
In the late nineties that outlet mall was a busy place.

Oh, I did eat at that Cuban restaurant. It was different. White rice is just not my thing. The owners are as friendly as one can be, But Cuban might not be my thing. And the bad thing, I love the caffee con leche, Spanish latte, they boil the milk, latte it is steamed, or microwaved at my house, I'm just a lazy guy..., but the machine was broke....

Now get rid of the homeless in old town..... CG is actually a very nice and relative old town.

Old 03-01-2015, 09:08 PM

Corydon - well this thread is now way off course - but who cares - its just us C-D folks!

Of course relatively speaking there aren't A LOT of homeless in old town CG - but given it's size it is a slight issue - I think that is due in part to its proximity to both the TO and Gila River communities. Seems most of the homeless down there are of Native descent.

BUT - there is hope on the horizon!! There are some pretty major redevelopment plans in the works for the southern end (near the railroad tracks and south) of old town:

http://www.casagrandeaz.gov/files/20...13-08-13_1.pdf

This report is from 2013 so some progress has been made towards its fruition, but of course the major stumbling block is funding - that is why it is so important that we get these revenue generating business discussed in this thread into town so we can get some of this completed to give the town an "actual" downtown area from which to base the rest of the city in the future.

More likely though is the area EAST of I 10 will become the more urban hub first with Phoenixmart and all the existing stuff already there - but hopefully that will allow the old town area to thrive.

There is some smaller stuff happening in old town already - the "Ale House" I talked about above as well as a couple of other renovation projects that hopefully will serve to turn the area into more of a "destination" than it is now.

Old 03-09-2015, 06:22 AM

87 posts, read 190,609 times
Anytime I search here to catch up on things for Casa Grande sh9730 has been there already dropping knowledge!!

The "Ale house" is owned by Roy a buddy of mine actually. I helped him with drawings for approval. He has keys and should be opening up by June provided the renovations go according to plan. I hope he does well as downtown could certainly use a lift. I christmas shop down there every year and walking the streets it is suprisingly a lot bigger than most people realize. Just need some businesses like that to fill it up.

Other spots I would recommend
"Big House Cafe" for breakfast/brunch. They close early 2pm.
"Tommy's bistro" for Italian. Although I'll admit that some people aren't too high on his tomato sauce which is pretty crucial for an Italian spot. However the steamers, chicken marsala and cream sauced dishes are can't miss.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:12 PM

SO - as I was driving through town today I was thinking about this thread and noticed how many of the things discussed are now actively coming to fruition:

Raising Canes opened yesterday on Florence Blvd east of I 10 (near the Sams Club and across from the mall).

Buffalo Wild Wings has the framing all up and they anticipate an August opening - this is also in the mall behind In n Out.

The "Corner Store" Valero gas station/mini mart/car wash is just about completed on the west side of I 10 on Florence Blvd.

The Tractor Supply retail store has gone vertical further west on Florence Blvd. near the LA Fitness.

The Tractor Supply Distribution Center on the west end of town is getting close to completion and they are already hiring the management staff to get them trained ahead of that opening. This is about 300 jobs.

The drawings for the Boston's restaurant this thread began talking about have started floating around local Facebook pages - its a slightly new design as opposed to the Marana location and the owners hope to be open by year's end.

Then on the north end there will soon be a quicker place for you guys to stop for gas along the drive between PHX and TUC. The long planned Circle K (a big one) has gone out for construction bid this week so it shouldn't be too long before that is ready - it will be on the west side of I 10 at McCartney Rd.

Anyway - there is more - but it is cool to see so much construction activity going on in town......

Oh yeah - my Taco Bell on McCartney Rd also opened up a couple weeks ago!

Old 05-15-2015, 09:38 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,961,493 times
One thing that I like about Casa Grande is that for those of us who have lived in Phoenix & Tucson, CG gets both of their local chains.

They get a Barro's Pizza, an AhSo and a Filibertos (Phoenix)
But also an eegees and a Nicos (Tucson)

Lucky!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson