Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 06:31 PM

406 posts, read 624,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
TMC built a new 4-story surgical tower, which opened in 2013?, I think. Before that, TMC was the largest one-story hospital in the country with 8 miles of hallways. While I can see the reasoning behind the donor's request, as TMC has grown it was basically "land locked" on all sides and the only way to expand and compete with UMC was to go up. TMC also has a few parking garages that are multiple stories.
That is interesting about it being the largest one-story hospital. I only knew about the condition secondhand, but perhaps it being as essential to the public as a hospital and as you say landlocked with nowhere to expand outward, the exception was given. Maybe the heirs or the donor themselves, if still living, revised the terms.

I know we have a couple of real estate people here in the forum, perhaps they can add their two cents about what they know of TMC and applicable deed laws?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2017, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilmaWildcat View Post
This one? https://www2.cs.arizona.edu/camera/

That's been my go-to view for a couple of decades; I love it. Always go by there first. Check out the "Video Vault" for vintage images going back to 2000.
Yes, that is the one! It never gets old and I have a couple of great screen shots.

Old 04-20-2017, 07:58 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,334,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azmemories View Post
That is interesting about it being the largest one-story hospital.
I figure that most one-story hospitals are rural/in small population areas, so when you have a "major" hospital with a height restriction in a city that has grown quite well over the last 67 years (45,454 in 1950 to 520,116 in 2010), it will probably be the largest of that category, by default, sort of the exception of one-story hospitals!

Last edited by cjseliga; 04-20-2017 at 08:07 PM..

Old 05-17-2017, 11:39 AM

As construction continues, I feel that the view of A Mountain may soon be obstructed.

Old 05-17-2017, 05:45 PM

700 posts, read 919,347 times
^ Oh, no; you're probably right!

Old 05-21-2017, 07:47 PM

When we're looking at the line of jagged peaks there in the Tucson Mountains, I found out some years ago from this great little book below that we are looking at the remains of a 15-mile long volcanic caldera. In other words you're going down into what was the mouth of a volcano but is now worn down and filled in. Imagine what it was like when it was exploding boiling rock and be glad things have cooled down a bit, haha.

https://www.amazon.com/Desert-Volcan.../dp/B004Z88OBA

I found a bit of explanation on a page here: https://uanews.arizona.edu/story/new...cson-mountains

Quote:
Kring said he began working on the book 14 years ago 'just for the fun of it. I am a geologist and wanted to learn about the geology around here. And I wanted to share the geologist's perspective with students and non-scientists. I hope this book will bring the Tucson Mountains volcanic caldera to life for all its visitors."

The Tucson Mountains are largely the remains of an immense, more than 15-mile-long volcanic caldera, or collapsed volcano. Towering stratovolcanoes erupted here with far greater explosive force than did modern Mount St. Helens, spewing several hundreds of cubic kilometers of hot volcanic debris across the landscape about 70 million years ago.

Old 05-21-2017, 08:01 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,497,233 times
When we're looking at the line of jagged peaks there in the Tucson Mountains, I found out some years ago from this great little book below that we are looking at the remains of a 15-mile long volcanic caldera. In other words you're going down into what was the mouth of a volcano but is now worn down and filled in. Imagine what it was like when it was exploding boiling rock and be glad things have cooled down a bit, haha.

Crater Lake in southern Oregon is water filling one of these volcanic caldera's from who knows how long ago explosion. I never knew that the mountains surrounding Tucson were one of these, too.

Old 05-21-2017, 09:09 PM

The little book I linked is only about the Tucson Mountains; I remember from long ago someone telling me the Santa Catalinas were made from "folding," rather than volcanism. Pushing up. You can really see that at Sabino Canyon, I think. The lines in the rocks kind of tilt.

I just noticed a booklet about Sabino Canyon geology that I have is online for free: http://repository.azgs.az.gov/sites/...canyon-red.pdf

I think the biggest volcanic blast around these parts occurred down at Chiricahua National Monument. It was a blast said to be 1000 times the size of Mount St Helens. Unimaginable. It's called the Turkey Creek Caldera.

Chiricahua is where they have those "hoo doo" formations. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geolog...anced_rock.jpg

Just so glad things have quieted down a bit from those times.

Old 05-22-2017, 08:39 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,334,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
I never knew that the mountains surrounding Tucson were one of these, too.
Lots of extinct volcanoes throughout Southern Arizona, including the Tucson Mountains which date to 50-82 million years ago.

http://www.azgs.az.gov/Hazards_ocr/v...izona-2000.pdf

Old 05-22-2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilmaWildcat View Post

https://www.amazon.com/Desert-Volcan.../dp/B004Z88OBA

I found a bit of explanation on a page here: https://uanews.arizona.edu/story/new...cson-mountains
Great article! Thanks for posting that. That was always a great ride through the Tucson Mountains, Saguaro National Park and Gates Pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson