Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 02:28 PM

4,922 posts, read 8,568,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi_Mom View Post
You mean that's not the case here?

Back in the midwest that's what we always did. Back when I was a kid (back in the late 70's and 80's) and now with my kids. (My oldest is 8)

Hmmm...where have I moved to!
Parents are always told to check their kids candy before the kiddies eat it (pins, needles, torn wrappers, etc.) and throw out any candy that seems suspicious. Kids are also told to only go to houses where they know the people. The media has put the fear of dying from Halloween candy in parents minds. That's why the mall is "safe", Harvest parties that some subdivisions hold prior to Halloween are safe, or even private Halloween parties where all the kids and parents know each other. I don't know how it is in the midwest or east, but here in the southwest, trick or treating has declined severely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 04:55 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy1210 View Post
The media has put the fear of dying from Halloween candy in parents minds.
Exactly! Has there ever been any evidence of this happening...?

Old 10-16-2008, 06:51 PM

1,389 posts, read 3,532,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Exactly! Has there ever been any evidence of this happening...?

Not that I've ever heard, at least locally.

Old 10-17-2008, 09:55 PM

1 posts, read 7,820 times
Default Things to do in Tucson for Halloween

Actually there are quite a few neighborhoods that do the door to door trick or treating thing here in Tucson. The absolute best neighborhood to go to is Winterhaven, they also do a festival of lights for the Christmas holidays. Winterhaven is located off of Ft. Lowell and Country Club on the north central side of the city.

Another fun activity is to do Nightfall at Old Tucson Studios check our their link here: [URL="http://www.nightfallaz.com/"]NightFall - Release The Beast[/URL]

Old 10-26-2008, 09:07 AM

687 posts, read 2,031,956 times
Do they have specific times that they do ToT'ing around here? I'm not seeing things online or on a Google search. Just wondering. Back home they would have times posted for towns/subs/cities etc.

Oddly enough the place I used to live had ToT'ing from 4pm to 6pm. Some parents aren't even off work at that time.

Old 10-25-2009, 03:32 PM

1 posts, read 6,916 times
We have always taken our kids (oldest is 12) to continental ranch on silverbell north of cortaro. It is really hopping full of ghost and gobblins and has really great familes! We have never had any issues and feel very safe there. I hope you find a nice spot!!

Old 10-26-2009, 09:42 PM

65 posts, read 222,801 times
There are always a fair number of kids out in my neighborhood. We look forward to it .

Old 10-27-2009, 08:09 AM

101 posts, read 247,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motocross~Mommy View Post
We have always taken our kids (oldest is 12) to continental ranch on silverbell north of cortaro. It is really hopping full of ghost and gobblins and has really great familes! We have never had any issues and feel very safe there. I hope you find a nice spot!!

I live in this area and we always have tons of trick or treaters. It's great fun for our daughter to go door to door and run into some of her classmates along the way.

It is very safe, cops patrol all night long and there is always big groups of people walking around.

Have fun and be safe!!

Old 10-27-2009, 10:43 AM

2,916 posts, read 8,346,834 times
Cool, yet SCARY thread! How'd I miss this one last year? Tucson seriously used to be a GREAT Halloween town, and every NEIGHborhood I remember always was bustling with hustling trick'r'treaters. There were even treaters who went out on Beggar's Night (one day either before or after Halloween) - and BEGGED for more candy!

They also had a great Halloween "parade" on the Tucson High School football field, where literally hundreds and hundreds of little kids walked around the field in their Hallow's Eve best costumes and were supplied with New Year's Eve-like (orange & black) noise makers, and plenty of TREATS! What an event!

Slowly but surely, thanx to some razors or nails in apples or other candy... or other such mean tricks against the treaters, Halloween diminished here in the Old Pueblo. There was one incident where a guy and his brother had placed baling wire very low near the entrance gate of their front yard, and then when the treaters fell, they would fling chinaberries at them with their slingshots from atop their roof! Some other copy-cat idiots used BB-guns to hit the treaters with!

Thankfully, today we have NEIGHborhoods with Halloween parties, and of course the Nightfall thingy at Old Tucson. I believe that parents are definitely doing all they can to provide a safe evening for their children.

...:::Sigh:::... Oh, the good ol' days...

Old 10-27-2009, 03:51 PM

1,389 posts, read 3,532,343 times
The Cops and Rodders car show at Hi-Corbett Field on Saturday also has a safe trick or treat, during the day for the kiddos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson