Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving from swampy Florida to hot desert of Arizona, looking forward to arid and dry weather, thunderstorms, warm sunsets, mountains, unobstructed views and no more bugs

Old 01-12-2009, 05:28 PM

4 posts, read 8,248 times

Advertisements

I would just like to say how wonderfully lucky you zonies are. I was a former transplant back in 1980. I went to grade school through high school in Tempe. I left the desert in 1991. I visited on several occasions and hated to leave everytime. I have since lived in Georgia and currently reside in Florida. I have missed the desert everyday since I have been gone. My husband who is a Florida native, and I are going to be making the move back to Arizona. I have been reading the posts about transplants not liking the desert or complaining that it is to hot. They need to try living in a swamp. Florida is a swamp. They complain about bugs. I can't even sit outside on a summer night without an entire bottle of bugspray on me. It rains constantly in the summer.....Every afternoon....I am estatic about coming back to the desert. No place on earth is better. I look so forward to the warm sunsets with the orange and hot pinks against a beautiful mountain backdrop. I can't wait to sit on the summit of a mountain again and watch the thunderstorms off in the distance and see the twinkling lights of the city. I can't wait to have unobstructed views of the horizon. I look forward to the vastness and openness of the desert. It is truly a beautiful, magical awe-inspiring place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 05:56 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
WELCOME HOME, Leavin The Swamp!

Having lived in Florida and Georgia, I understand and sympathize fully!

Old 01-12-2009, 06:39 PM

2,916 posts, read 8,350,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leavin the swamp View Post
I would just like to say how wonderfully lucky you zonies are. I was a former transplant back in 1980. I went to grade school through high school in Tempe. I left the desert in 1991. I visited on several occasions and hated to leave everytime. I have since lived in Georgia and currently reside in Florida. I have missed the desert everyday since I have been gone. My husband who is a Florida native, and I are going to be making the move back to Arizona. I have been reading the posts about transplants not liking the desert or complaining that it is to hot. They need to try living in a swamp. Florida is a swamp. They complain about bugs. I can't even sit outside on a summer night without an entire bottle of bugspray on me. It rains constantly in the summer.....Every afternoon....I am estatic about coming back to the desert. No place on earth is better. I look so forward to the warm sunsets with the orange and hot pinks against a beautiful mountain backdrop. I can't wait to sit on the summit of a mountain again and watch the thunderstorms off in the distance and see the twinkling lights of the city. I can't wait to have unobstructed views of the horizon. I look forward to the vastness and openness of the desert. It is truly a beautiful, magical awe-inspiring place.
Now, THIS is a person who truly understands the wonders of the Arid Zone! My compliments to a very well written post, Mr Current Swamp Guy!

Old 01-12-2009, 10:14 PM

17 posts, read 39,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonyPony View Post
Now, THIS is a person who truly understands the wonders of the Arid Zone! My compliments to a very well written post, Mr Current Swamp Guy!
Actually Zony, I think that it's a Swamp Girl!

Old 01-12-2009, 10:40 PM

2,916 posts, read 8,350,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanCOAZ View Post
Actually Zony, I think that it's a Swamp Girl!
Oooops... sorry, ma'am! Now, get outta that swamp, will ya?

Old 01-13-2009, 02:25 AM

422 posts, read 1,271,514 times
Quote:
Happy Homecoming Zonie!
.........from a transplant that feels blessed to wake up each and everyday to the awe-inspiring beauty of the AZ desert.

Old 01-13-2009, 04:33 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,954,398 times
Quote:
Congratulations on being able to go back to where your heart is. The way you write about Arizona reminds me of myself and my love of the coast of Maine. I dream of being able to go to where my heart is someday as well. Best wishes for a smooth transition back home and a happy life there.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:25 AM

1,991 posts, read 3,969,721 times
Neither Florida nor Arizona is the same all over. I've lived in the Pensacola area before and visited Jacksonville, St. Augustine, Daytona Beach, Orlando, Tampa, and Pensacola is a lot more bearable humidity-wise than those other places. Still humid but not as much. I actually didn't mind being outside during the day.

Likewise when I traveled to Arizona, I visited Tucson, Phoenix, Sedona, Flagstaff, and the Canyon. It was summer and the Tucson heat and sun almost fried me. By the time I got to Sedona and Flagstaff, the weather was nice. It was still summertime weather, but that part of the desert was much more bearable than Tucson and Phoenix. I actually didn't mind being outside during the day.

Point being all of Florida is not a sweltering swamp, only some is, and all of Arizona is not a skillet of a desert, only some is. Neither is really a place I'd retire to, because when I'm out riding my bike in the middle of the day, I don't want to be fried by the scorching 105+ sun and I don't want to have to try to breathe water either. But both are nice places to visit.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:46 AM

602 posts, read 2,064,631 times
Congrats, Leavin the Swamp.

I'm really happy for you. Feel like I was in the same boat as you. I had previously lived in AZ and loved it, then had to live elsewhere (a number of places), but always dreamed of, and planned to, come back to AZ.

Finally had the opportunity to last May, and it's just as good as it was the first time.

I agree with the poster who said something about following your dream. Also, I'd rather be poorish in a place that I love than make way more money in a place that I hate.

I moved back here from Florida too.

Good luck and I hope it works out that you can move back here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson