Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2009, 01:41 PM

109 posts, read 341,586 times

Advertisements

I've been reading a bit about all the controversy about the temporary/permanent Tubac checkpoint on I-19, but nobody ever says what their actual experience has been going through it.

Sounds like it won't slow you down much, but hubby is thinking about commuting up to Raytheon through it daily, and is concerned about sitting in traffic for long periods of time.

Can anyone comment?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 03:17 PM

9,600 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GinnyFavers View Post
I've been reading a bit about all the controversy about the temporary/permanent Tubac checkpoint on I-19, but nobody ever says what their actual experience has been going through it.

Sounds like it won't slow you down much, but hubby is thinking about commuting up to Raytheon through it daily, and is concerned about sitting in traffic for long periods of time.

Can anyone comment?

Thanks in advance!
Tough to predict, Ginny.

I doubt seriously if that one little "check-point" will have much effect on what's already gonna be a lousy commute.

Sometimes those check-points barely slow the flow and then the next time they seem to have everything backed up.

Old 01-25-2009, 04:08 PM

109 posts, read 341,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Tough to predict, Ginny.

I doubt seriously if that one little "check-point" will have much effect on what's already gonna be a lousy commute.

Sometimes those check-points barely slow the flow and then the next time they seem to have everything backed up.
Hmm, on another thread I asked about that commute, and the consensus was there wasn't much traffic. When you call it "lousy" are you merely referring to the length of it and the cost of gas?

Old 01-25-2009, 06:30 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
It's never slowed me down by more than a minute or two. Nobody comes to a complete stop. You're normally waived through. I guess if they find a vehicle suspicious they pull it to the side. I'm yet to see it happen.

Old 01-25-2009, 10:06 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,913,045 times
Ooh, but if you go through a check point at four in the morning, they have you open your trunk! That was the most exciting thing that I have ever had to do at one...you just get waived through. Well, if you are as white-a** as me, you do.

Old 01-25-2009, 10:26 PM

9,600 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GinnyFavers View Post
Hmm, on another thread I asked about that commute, and the consensus was there wasn't much traffic. When you call it "lousy" are you merely referring to the length of it and the cost of gas?
I definitely wasn't part of that consensus, Ginny.

Let's just say that after driving in this area for over ten years, I would never consider a commute from Tubac to Raytheon.

As for the checkpoint . . . as others have posted, they are usually a "piece of cake" but they also can be a disaster.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:38 AM

1,222 posts, read 5,017,881 times
I've only been through it once, and it was in the evening. I don't think we even came to a complete stop. The officer shined the flashlight in my face and waved me through.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:11 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,006,467 times
The checkpoint isn't that big of a deal. If you're driving a rental car, they will ask you to open the trunk to see if you are transporting any drugs/people/etc. The agents have drug sniffing dogs and machine guns, but other than that, it is a breeze. Most of the Border Patrol agents are jerks, but every now and then you'll come across one who isn't.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:07 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,913,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
.... Most of the Border Patrol agents are jerks, but every now and then you'll come across one who isn't.
Oh, not if you are a woman...they are quite nice to me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson