Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 09:57 PM

17 posts, read 47,433 times

Advertisements

Hi,

As I am very new to USA, there are something that i don't know how it works.

I bought a 04 Honda Civic DX last December. Unfortunately i didn't know it's with RS Title but ofcos I bought at good price. The Car registration ("Or whatever you call it") end at Mar 09. I just received a letter from MVD about the renewal.

I read through the enclosed Emissions Testing Information and there are something I don' t understand.

1) In this test, what and how exactly do they test?

2) Do I required to go to a Car repair shop to do a pre-test?

3) Inside the emissions test information slip, it state something regarding one time only waivers for repair. What is it all about?

4) Inside the MVD letter inside, there's a column state "Last 2 of Vin" = 07. What is it?

5) Must I done my inspection before renew my registration with MVD

6) Inside the www.myAZcar.com, i can search my pass test record. Is the picture shown attached saying that this car had never done any test before?
Attached Thumbnails
Some question for renewal Registration and Emission test-inspection.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 10:14 PM

14 posts, read 170,439 times
At emissions they have a place where you can ask why you failed each area... and they provide a somewhat explanation what to do next.

Also there's usually plenty of locations near the testing for emissions where they will test and repair your vehicle to pass for a cost.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:25 AM

14 posts, read 74,302 times
I don't think you have anything to worry about with a 2004 Civic unless you bought it from someplace that is shady. What they will do at the test station is hook their scan machine up to the test connector under your dash and see if the computer in your car has logged any emissions related fault codes. If it has you will have to take it to an auto repair shop for repair and then go back to the test station and let them test it again.

Usually if there are emission related fault codes stored in your car's computer it will turn on a warning light in your instrument panel. If you are worried about it you can take your car to Auto Zone or one of the big box auto parts places and they can scan your car's computer and see if there are any fault codes stored. This is a little known service that they will do for free. Not too long ago my Service Engine Light came on. I took it to a local Checker Auto Parts store and they scanned it for me. They told me what was wrong (one of the sensors in the emissions system had failed) and I bought the new sensor and installed it myself.

Old 02-22-2009, 11:30 AM

522 posts, read 1,568,675 times
The other thing you need to know is not to disconnect the battery soon before you go. They don't always tell you this but when you disconnect you battery some codes can be lost/reset and they require a certian number of start/stop cycles before you can pass a test. I don't know the exact number but if you take it after a month of regular driving you should be ok.

For instance, your battery went dead and you replace it or you had the trans rebuilt. Either of these would reset the codes and you need enough start/stop cycles to pass. If you were to do any of these and then take it to be tested within the next few days you would fail.

Old 02-22-2009, 11:45 AM

63 posts, read 205,267 times
simply.....yes bring your car to be inspected before you go to renew at the MVD.....I doubt you will have any trouble there.... it is usually a painless test and just takes a few minutes....

Old 02-22-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dester View Post
At emissions they have a place where you can ask why you failed each area... and they provide a somewhat explanation what to do next.

Also there's usually plenty of locations near the testing for emissions where they will test and repair your vehicle to pass for a cost.
thanks for your guidance...

They repair on the spot?

You were saying paying a cost to pass? How much are you saying?

Old 02-22-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrgone View Post
I don't think you have anything to worry about with a 2004 Civic unless you bought it from someplace that is shady. What they will do at the test station is hook their scan machine up to the test connector under your dash and see if the computer in your car has logged any emissions related fault codes. If it has you will have to take it to an auto repair shop for repair and then go back to the test station and let them test it again.

Usually if there are emission related fault codes stored in your car's computer it will turn on a warning light in your instrument panel. If you are worried about it you can take your car to Auto Zone or one of the big box auto parts places and they can scan your car's computer and see if there are any fault codes stored. This is a little known service that they will do for free. Not too long ago my Service Engine Light came on. I took it to a local Checker Auto Parts store and they scanned it for me. They told me what was wrong (one of the sensors in the emissions system had failed) and I bought the new sensor and installed it myself.
Thanks. You give me a better idea

Old 02-22-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofIL View Post
The other thing you need to know is not to disconnect the battery soon before you go. They don't always tell you this but when you disconnect you battery some codes can be lost/reset and they require a certian number of start/stop cycles before you can pass a test. I don't know the exact number but if you take it after a month of regular driving you should be ok.

For instance, your battery went dead and you replace it or you had the trans rebuilt. Either of these would reset the codes and you need enough start/stop cycles to pass. If you were to do any of these and then take it to be tested within the next few days you would fail.
wow.. that's a great tips.

Just curious, if my battery dead and i went to change battery just before the test and it's failed. how can i drive for one month since the mvd renewal date is less than that?

Old 02-22-2009, 06:49 PM

2,897 posts, read 10,414,928 times
They sell products you can put in your tank that guarantee you to pass. I got my 79 to pass with no cats and a busted carb.

Autozone!

Old 02-22-2009, 07:07 PM

what if i went first time and failed the test? what will happen?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson