Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2009, 08:06 AM

103 posts, read 293,228 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Tucson soon and would like to know how the areas of Tucson in Pima County are different from each other - like Marana, Oro Valley, Catalina, Sahuarita, Green Valley, even "downtown" Tucson, etc... I am a "young" 58, and would like to live in a community with people of all ages, if that is possible. Any recommendations? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 11:58 PM

3 posts, read 7,763 times
If you want diversity, I would stick to central, 4th ave and the downtown areas (basically near the University). Also, it's a more "happening" area and the oldest part of Tucson.

Marana, Oro Valley and the NW are large retirement areas with golf courses and a lot of new big box stores. Mostly newly developed.

Sahurita, Green Valley are 30 minutes south and again is mostly 65+ master planned communities.

Eastside is of Tucson is mostly middle class 70's homes and has a very suburban feel.

Southside of Tucson is predominately Hispanic.

The foothills, which are just to the North of Tucson is more of your affluent professionals. Beautiful views, expensive homes, resorts, spas etc...

West side is a mix of middle/lower class areas with upscale housing developments in the Tucson mountain area.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:22 AM

1,024 posts, read 2,746,838 times
"Marana, Oro Valley and the NW are large retirement areas"
WOW! who are all those little people I see going to school everyday, and why did we build a new high school out here????
Wonders if poster has ever been to Oro Valley and Marana.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:46 AM

68 posts, read 210,055 times
Sahuarita is not filled with 65 plus, that would be Green Valley. Sahuarita is a more affluent area of Tucson but far out so there is not much to do. I know because I live here.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:31 AM

9,600 posts, read 31,688,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreylynn View Post
I am moving to Tucson soon and would like to know how the areas of Tucson in Pima County are different from each other - like Marana, Oro Valley, Catalina, Sahuarita, Green Valley, even "downtown" Tucson, etc... I am a "young" 58, and would like to live in a community with people of all ages, if that is possible. Any recommendations? Thank you!
Tough request, Audreylynn . . . as you can see from the previous posts, "labeling" different areas of Tucson is extremely difficult.

Django has done an excellent job considering the task. Yes, there are little kids in Oro Valley and "workers" in Marana and Green Valley, however, as with any generalization, there will always be exceptions.

I am in your age bracket and have enjoyed Northwest Tucson (The Tucson Mall area) for over ten years. I doubt I would not be happy in any of the "retirement areas" nor would I ever want to live in and around The University and/or 4th Avenue. Being close for activities and restaurants definitely has advantages but 24 hours a day . . . NO WAY.

Good Luck and I hope all of this makes sense!

Old 03-13-2009, 06:01 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,139,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmatical23 View Post
Sahuarita is not filled with 65 plus, that would be Green Valley. Sahuarita is a more affluent area of Tucson but far out so there is not much to do. I know because I live here.
Such posts always make me chuckle...

Here's an example: MLS (http://tarmls.rapmls.com/scripts/mgrqispi.dll?APPNAME=Tucson&PRGNAME=MLSPropertyDet ail&ARGUMENTS=-N657359104,-N414287,-N,-A,-N30566620 - broken link)

It's CHEAP! And the reason it's cheap is it's in the boonies!

And that's the Rancho! Never mind the real town of Sahuarita!

Old 03-21-2009, 08:29 AM

1,024 posts, read 2,746,838 times
Quote:
Toooooooo funny, wonders what ashmatical been smoking to be this far removed from realty.

Old 03-21-2009, 09:56 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,280,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Tough request, Audreylynn . . . as you can see from the previous posts, "labeling" different areas of Tucson is extremely difficult.

Django has done an excellent job considering the task. Yes, there are little kids in Oro Valley and "workers" in Marana and Green Valley, however, as with any generalization, there will always be exceptions.

I am in your age bracket and have enjoyed Northwest Tucson (The Tucson Mall area) for over ten years. I doubt I would not be happy in any of the "retirement areas" nor would I ever want to live in and around The University and/or 4th Avenue. Being close for activities and restaurants definitely has advantages but 24 hours a day . . . NO WAY.

Good Luck and I hope all of this makes sense!
My husband and I are a few years younger than you guys, but we also live in the Tucson Mall area and love it. Our community has a large proportion of retirees, but there are a few couples with kids. Very few.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:55 PM

430 posts, read 1,312,086 times
Quote:
Totally made me laugh. Affluent, to who? Nogales. Sahuarita is filled with middle class. People who wanted more bang for their buck.

Affluent, look at Finisterra or Miramist at Ventana.

When someone asks me where to live in Tucson, my first question is, "Where is your job?" If your retired or telecommute; "What do you like in a home and neighborhood"

I think if you want to know where to live, give us at least some of your requirements, it helps give better info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson