Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 10:00 AM

7 posts, read 35,931 times

Advertisements

I've done several searches on this forum and haven't been able to come up with much as far as specifically related to the Catalina area.

I'm looking at purchasing a home in the Eagle Crest Ranch area and I'm wondering what the general thoughts are on this part of town. How badly was this hit by the housing crisis (I know no area was spared), is there a growth potential in the future, do you think this will be a desirable area 5-10 years down the road, etc.?

I'm self-employed, so driving into Tucson is not an issue. I'm also not from the area and I'm curious to know if this is a high-foreclosure area compared to the rest of town.

Am I right in my findings that Tucson didn't suffer such a hit as Phoenix when it comes to the mortgage meltdown?

I've driven through there and the area seemed very nice. It was a quick drive down Oracle to all the shops in Oro Valley - everything seemed to be within a short driving distance.

Are there plans in the future to develop some additional commercial areas along Oracle? Is this future freeway going through the area?

I really just don't know much about the area and haven't been able to find much online.

This is such a scary housing market and any input regarding the area would really be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 10:27 AM

359 posts, read 1,197,364 times
Eagle Crest Ranch is a nice area to move into. No crime in the area that I can speak of. As for the housing crisis, practically anywhere you move to either has a foreclosed house or a house for sale. But for Eagle Ranch, the crisis really didn't hit the area that hard. More development is suppose to be taking place when Oro Valley annexes up to the Pinal County line on the western half of Oracle Rd, but environmentalists are fighting the issue to protect the open spaces. Access to I-10 is on Park Link Rd (North on Oracle Rd, Turn left on to Highway 79 go north 10 miles to Park Link Rd), but it is a 20-mile drive, and the road is not very well maintained. But there is plans to repave the 20 mile road to support the folks that live in Catalina, Saddlebrooke and Oracle.

Old 01-11-2009, 05:36 PM

683 posts, read 2,650,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetucson View Post
Access to I-10 is on Park Link Rd (North on Oracle Rd, Turn left on to Highway 79 go north 10 miles to Park Link Rd), but it is a 20-mile drive, and the road is not very well maintained. But there is plans to repave the 20 mile road to support the folks that live in Catalina, Saddlebrooke and Oracle.
Park Link Road is now paved. It's not a great road, but at least it's not washboard anymore. That's going to be a major road someday. Not long ago, they were thinking about building a bypass northeast around the Catalinas and Rincon mountains with Park Link becoming a segment of freeway.

Catalina, Oracle, and Oro Valley are beautiful areas and there will be a lot of growth in the next 5-10 years. It's a little cooler there in the summer and they even get a bit of snow during the winter.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:30 PM

7 posts, read 35,931 times
Thanks for the info. I got the impression it was a nice area too. A little far from the city, but then I don't really have a need to go into the city on a regular basis.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:17 AM

529 posts, read 2,393,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryl1966 View Post
I'm looking at purchasing a home in the Eagle Crest Ranch area and I'm wondering what the general thoughts are on this part of town. How badly was this hit by the housing crisis (I know no area was spared), is there a growth potential in the future, do you think this will be a desirable area 5-10 years down the road, etc.?

I'm self-employed, so driving into Tucson is not an issue. I'm also not from the area and I'm curious to know if this is a high-foreclosure area compared to the rest of town.

Am I right in my findings that Tucson didn't suffer such a hit as Phoenix when it comes to the mortgage meltdown?
As ihatetucson mentioned, most of Tucson felt the effects of the housing plunge. That being said, I know I've been seeing less short sales and foreclosed homes lately than in the past year or so, and it seems that the worst is over.

The Eagle Crest Ranch subdivision currently has 30 active listings ranging from $152k to $539k. Of those listings, 7 are short sales and a couple of them are bank-owned homes. Last year it probably would have been the other way around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryl1966 View Post
Are there plans in the future to develop some additional commercial areas along Oracle? Is this future freeway going through the area?

I really just don't know much about the area and haven't been able to find much online.

This is such a scary housing market and any input regarding the area would really be appreciated.
You may have already seen Oro Valley's town website but if not check it out.

Here are some recent area-related commercial news stories:
VMSI Ventana Medical Systems plans major growth in Oro Valley (http://www.tradingmarkets.com/.site/news/Stock%20News/1977678/ - broken link)
Biotech flourishes in Oro Valley
News : Oro Valley finds formula for mix of development, historic preservation - Inside Tucson Business - newspaper, business news, opinion, classifieds

Old 01-19-2009, 12:55 PM

163 posts, read 824,146 times
I like the area and the development you mention The only negative and this is just me would be that
the only road to get in and out and go anywhere is Oracle which is already high traffic and if they put in more develoment supposedly the road can't handle it, this is what I understand from what I have read

Old 03-20-2009, 12:38 AM

5 posts, read 14,011 times
Default Also looking at the Catalina Area

I hope this is the way to further discuss the Catalina area.

We are looking at retirement property in Catalina--a lovely area. We are looking in an established ranch-like neighborhood with mixed housing. We like hiking & the beautiful mountain views. I would really like to be able to swim too. Does anyone know of swim clubs, etc.? Hopefully indoor swimming?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I hope I am using the thread properly.

Old 03-20-2009, 06:58 AM

529 posts, read 2,393,361 times
Here is a link to swimming resources in and around Catalina from Google.

swim loc: Catalina, Arizona - Google Maps

Old 03-21-2009, 11:08 AM

52,194 posts, read 52,629,348 times
What would the drive time be to go from say Catalina to dowtown Tucson?

Old 03-21-2009, 11:16 AM

1,024 posts, read 2,746,607 times
"What would the drive time be to go from say Catalina to dowtown Tucson?"

To get parked and to your place of business give yourself 45 minutes to an hour. Will vary somewhat by time of year and road construction.

Last edited by RickTucsonHomes; 03-21-2009 at 11:17 AM.. Reason: additional comment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Tucson