Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 10:01 AM

104 posts, read 521,722 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering what kind of place this is to raise a family. We have 3 (soon to be 4) small children and need excellent schools. We also would like to have all the modern conviences such as good shopping, great hospitals, and lots of parks and recreation. I'm also curious about the taxes. Is there state income tax? What about property tax?

Thanks in advance for you input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2007, 06:38 AM

Wow! The amount of replies is overwhelming! How will I ever find the time to read them all?

Old 01-02-2007, 07:10 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,925,657 times
tiffani,
Oklahoma does have a state income tax, but property taxes are pretty low. I don't live there anymore but you can try a forum called Tulsanow (www.tulsanow.org) (broken link). Those people might be able to help you.

Old 01-02-2007, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
tiffani,
Oklahoma does have a state income tax, but property taxes are pretty low. I don't live there anymore but you can try a forum called Tulsanow (www.tulsanow.org) (broken link). Those people might be able to help you.
I'll check it out! Thanks so much for your help. I appreciate it.

Old 01-03-2007, 10:30 PM

500 posts, read 2,859,877 times
Hi, Tiffani. I live in New York City but my wife comes from Owasso, where her parents still live. I've visited there too. She says the schools are among the best in Metro Tulsa. There's a big shopping area with Target and Walgreens and Wal-Mart and all those things, and good clinics (not a big hospital, but Tulsa is 20 minutes away by car).

Wife says Owasso is considered one of the best suburbs of Tulsa, and it keeps getting better (more services, better roads). My parents-in-law there are proud to be neighbors of Garth Brooks. (!?)

Now, if you ask me, I would NEVER ever live in Owasso, Tulsa or anywhere in Oklahoma. Cowboys and bbq rednecks are not my thing. But that's just my opinion.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-04-2007, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan-ite View Post
Hi, Tiffani. I live in New York City but my wife comes from Owasso, where her parents still live. I've visited there too. She says the schools are among the best in Metro Tulsa. There's a big shopping area with Target and Walgreens and Wal-Mart and all those things, and good clinics (not a big hospital, but Tulsa is 20 minutes away by car).

Wife says Owasso is considered one of the best suburbs of Tulsa, and it keeps getting better (more services, better roads). My parents-in-law there are proud to be neighbors of Garth Brooks. (!?)

Now, if you ask me, I would NEVER ever live in Owasso, Tulsa or anywhere in Oklahoma. Cowboys and bbq rednecks are not my thing. But that's just my opinion.

Hope this helps.

Thank You!
I'm thinking it's not really my kind of place either, but I thought I would atleast research it a bit, at the suggestion of a friend who lives in OKlahoma.

The schools sound nice, and I know the housing is cheap. Those are both huge pluses in my book. The cowboys.....not so much.

Old 01-04-2007, 03:03 PM

75 posts, read 285,241 times
Hmmm, I've thought of the Tulsa area while considering a move back to OK...thanks for the comments on Owasso.

Old 01-04-2007, 03:08 PM

Default owasso taxes

Forgot to mention- Owasso is one of the best places to live in Metro Tulsa also because the taxes are higher than in other areas. Somebody mentioned in a different thread.

Old 01-04-2007, 10:15 PM

11 posts, read 77,038 times
Default owasso

I live in Collinsville which is only 10 minutes from Owasso. Owasso is a great town if you like suburbs. It has about everything you could want and more from a suburbian town, and everything else is 10 minutes south in Tulsa. It has great schools, great shopping, virtually no crime, and great health care. There are alot of churches which may or may not be your thing. I also cannot think of one bar in Owasso either (besides resturaunt bars like chilis, applebees, ect.). I think it is the perfect place to raise a family. Even though OK may be alot more rural than NY, we are not all a bunch of rednecks like previously mentioned on this forum. Those kinds of people tend to live in the really small towns in OK and all over the U.S. However, I would rather live around rednecks because they are some of the friendliest people who would literally give the shirt off their back for a stranger. I'll take a friendly redneck over a stuck up urban yankee who only cares about himself/herself any day.

Old 01-04-2007, 11:38 PM

Default Gimme a damn Yankee anyday

First of all, why is a bland soulless suburb dotted with Applebee's and Wal-Marts the best place to raise kids? I would find it pretty unappealing if I had kids.

About rednecks: I partially agree with you- some are friendly. America is 90% redneck, and I love this damn country to death.

But many rednecks are wary of strangers, and if you don't look like them and do what they do (huntin', fishin', praying) they may not like you.

I've visited 35 of the 50 states in the Union and I've never felt like any redneck would give his or her shirt for me. On the contrary, they will look at me funny for looking different and having an accent. "You ain't from around' ere, are ya boy".

People here in New York City may look like we're stuck in ourselves, but we're the first to help a stranger, give directions, give money and give a shirt. For real, I mean.

If I'm lost in a rural highway, knocking at the nearest trailer home will most likely mean I will be greeted by a gun. Buzz my apartment in Manhattan and I'll give you some bucks for a Greyhound ticket home and let you use my phone and my bathroom.

As nice as some rednecks are, they've never been as friendly as a true New Yorker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa