Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 03:34 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,581,661 times

Advertisements

The Phoenix Coyotes NHL Team recently attempted to leave the Phoenix AZ area for Hamilton Ontario Canada (The Toronto Ontario Area)...Do you think that TULSA should make a play for the team..simular
to the attempt that Tulsa made for the Pittsburgh Penquins when they considered moving.

www.tbo.com/content/2009/jun/16/judge-rejects-phoenix-nhl-teams-sale-canada-move/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 05:41 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,919,738 times
I think it would be worth a try. Tulsa has been a hockey town for some time. What do they have to lose? And that nice shiny new arena doesn't hurt things a bit.

Old 06-27-2009, 07:11 AM

687 posts, read 2,350,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
I think it would be worth a try. Tulsa has been a hockey town for some time. What do they have to lose? And that nice shiny new arena doesn't hurt things a bit.
As the resident hockey expert I'd have to disagree, to be honest.

While it would be really cool for Tulsa to say we had a major professional sports team, it's difficult enough right now for them to be financially viable. We'd also be the smallest market in the league. The BOK Center holds for hockey about 17000, which is fine, but how many in this area are going to want to plop down $125 for glass row seating?

I just don't see it happening. I think Tulsa needs to look at the AHL first.

That's my two pennies worth.

Old 06-27-2009, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOkie View Post

While it would be really cool for Tulsa to say we had a major professional sports team, it's difficult enough right now for them to be financially viable. We'd also be the smallest market in the league. The BOK Center holds for hockey about 17000, which is fine, but how many in this area are going to want to plop down $125 for glass row seating?

Wishful thinking on my behalf.

Old 06-27-2009, 05:23 PM

Default I Agree With You.......

Quote:

I agree with you , but what I think would work for the State Of Oklahoma is for the "ownership group" to be a 50% 50% split between
the BOK and the Ford Center in Tulsa and OKC...that way Tulsa would foot the financial weight only 50% of the "time" maybe that could be viable for the state of Oklahoma......

Old 06-27-2009, 07:28 PM

687 posts, read 2,350,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
I agree with you , but what I think would work for the State Of Oklahoma is for the "ownership group" to be a 50% 50% split between
the BOK and the Ford Center in Tulsa and OKC...that way Tulsa would foot the financial weight only 50% of the "time" maybe that could be viable for the state of Oklahoma......
I just don't see the NHL Board of Governors approving anything like that at all, especially with all the talk of moving Phoenix to Hamilton that I've been hearing. Hamilton is likely a much more hockey-friendly city than Tulsa OK is.

And if we're to get an NHL team, I don't want to share it with OKC. They didn't share the Thunder with us.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:55 PM

Default I See Where You Are Coming From..........

Quote:
I just don't see the NHL Board of Governors approving anything like that at all, especially with all the talk of moving Phoenix to Hamilton that I've been hearing. Hamilton is likely a much more hockey-friendly city than Tulsa OK is.

And if we're to get an NHL team, I don't want to share it with OKC. They didn't share the Thunder with us.
I see where you are coming from , i was just trying to wrap my head around a senario that would support Tulsa getting a 1st tier professional
sport franchise , and that was the one and only senario that would work much like what Kansas City and Omaha did with the Kansas City Kings which was a NBA Basketball Team.

I was trying to come up with a senario where Oklahoma could eventually
support all (4) First Tier Sports Leagues NFL and MLB and NBA and NHL.
I envisioned NHL shared between Tulsa and OKC and the NBA in OKC and
MLB and NFL Stadiums Built At The Half Way Point At The Turner Turnpike.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
I see where you are coming from , i was just trying to wrap my head around a senario that would support Tulsa getting a 1st tier professional
sport franchise , and that was the one and only senario that would work much like what Kansas City and Omaha did with the Kansas City Kings which was a NBA Basketball Team.

I was trying to come up with a senario where Oklahoma could eventually
support all (4) First Tier Sports Leagues NFL and MLB and NBA and NHL.
I envisioned NHL shared between Tulsa and OKC and the NBA in OKC and
MLB and NFL Stadiums Built At The Half Way Point At The Turner Turnpike.
As much as I would love that Howest, I don't think Oklahoma will get an NFL team for at least 30 years, if ever. The NFL is the premiere major league sport in the US and probably draws in more revenue than all of the other major sports combined.

If they expand the teams, and that's a big if, they will likely always go for the big markets these days.

Old 07-01-2009, 12:51 PM

Default I Agree But I'm A Little Bit More Optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
As much as I would love that Howest, I don't think Oklahoma will get an NFL team for at least 30 years, if ever. The NFL is the premiere major league sport in the US and probably draws in more revenue than all of the other major sports combined.

If they expand the teams, and that's a big if, they will likely always go for the big markets these days.
I agree synopsis as far as the NFL and MLB coming to Oklahoma before 2020 or 2030 that would be 11 to 21 years at the very minimal into the future of the combined potential of the Tulsa and OKC Metro's, and i'm only talking about "stadiums built" at the "half way point" of the
Turner Turnpike.

MLB teams are much harder to get than NFL teams , because they have
81 "Home Games" as opposed to 8 or 9 for the NFL and the most expensive tickets can go for anywhere from "one dollars to "5,000 to 7,000 Dollars a piece.

To Get To The Article At TBO About The Phoenix Coyotes Moving To The
Hamilton Ontario Canada Area...Click On My "LINK" Then Enter " Phoenix
Coyotes " Into The Browser Box...And Click On The Phoenix Coyotes LINK.

Old 07-10-2009, 02:26 PM

Default TULSA Isn't A Sports Town...It's A ART And Music Town

I was just trying to work up a scenario where TULSA and Oklahoma City and the state of Oklahoma could somehow come up with all (4)
first tier Sports franchises. Secondly it's important that TULSA Shows
Itself As A CONTENDER In The EYE'S Of ALL Of THE COMMISH'S of the sports leagues.....TULSA and OKLAHOMA CITY Made A Play For The
Pittsburgh Penquins that put them both into the DISCUSSION of CITIES
(trying) to land a NHL Team.It's not a SHAME Being Turned Down By BIG
LEAGUE SPORTS It's A Shame to Not Even TRY....

P.S. Oklahoma Made A Attempt To LAND A NASCAR Track At The
HALF-WAY Point OF The TURNER TURNPIKE Half Way Between TULSA And Oklahoma City....But Was Turned Down By NASCAR.....AND OMAHA And
KANSAS CITY Convinced The NBA Commish's to Place A TEAM In Both
OMAHA And KANSAS CITY And Have The TWO CITIES SHARE IT...So There's A LONG SHOT CHANCE...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Tulsa