Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2012, 09:06 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,681,265 times

Advertisements

I feel bad for the families who will be living on the street soon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 09:31 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,273,721 times
Default Ha...

As bad, or "good" as the show is, one thing is certain.... many people have the inner/suppressed desire to strike it rich! Whether it stems from the stories we heard as kids about lost pirate treasure, or remembering the feelings we had as kids when we'd find change, especially big shiny quarters on the ground, or even the myth of the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, we all watch because we truly want to see them find huge nuggets, regardless of how 'Laurel & Hardey' those guys are.

Heck, I don't take the show seriously, but even I was intrigued by the new shaker machine that seperates the gold and the gold flows down those channels. I guess I am sub-conciously thinking it would be me holding a jar at the end of that trail and collect that gold.

I know my little kids even get into the show and keep hoping to see gold in the mud! HA! The producers have made the cast appear to be underdogs and get people to hope for them and at the same time, display their crappy attitudes and obvious ignorance for what they are doing.

That's entertainment!

Old 01-18-2012, 10:37 AM

4,246 posts, read 12,027,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
I feel bad for the families who will be living on the street soon

Please. Discovery is paying them more than they would make working back in the lower 48.

They need to lay off the we love America but there's no jobs. Oh come on, there's plenty of jobs across America. Get out and look. You're (todd and the others) just trying to convince everyone else this is a good idea and it's a last ditch effort to make money. It's nothing more than a treasure hunt to get rich quick. Throw enough money at it and you might find some gold. Meanwhile when that Discovery money runs out you'll be back at the construction site you left.

Hopefully Todd didn't write they're contracts with Discovery.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post

I know my little kids even get into the show and keep hoping to see gold in the mud! HA! The producers have made the cast appear to be underdogs and get people to hope for them and at the same time, display their crappy attitudes and obvious ignorance for what they are doing.

That's entertainment!

The only one I pull for is the kid. The others can flop for all I care. Todd and his crew are a waste of resources with Todd being hazardous waste.

Old 01-18-2012, 04:56 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
Please. Discovery is paying them more than they would make working back in the lower 48.
Wouldn't count on it, that's why a lot of these networks like these reality shows. They are cheap to film as they often don't require sets at their cost, much of the filming is done with cheap GoPro HD cameras attached to everything and since these folks are not professional actors and most everyone wants to be famous, labor is cheap.

A lot of these folks on reality shows make hardly nothing.

Hopefully these guys are smart enough to do a licensing deal on all the Gold Rush crap that is sold.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Wouldn't count on it, that's why a lot of these networks like these reality shows. They are cheap to film as they often don't require sets at their cost, much of the filming is done with cheap GoPro HD cameras attached to everything and since these folks are not professional actors and most everyone wants to be famous, labor is cheap.

A lot of these folks on reality shows make hardly nothing.

Hopefully these guys are smart enough to do a licensing deal on all the Gold Rush crap that is sold.

I doubt they make more at their old jobs. They probably came from double wides. Not there's anything wrong with that but it's not hard to make more than what they were making. I bet they're each getting at least 2k week plus free meals. Which is more than enough to get by for their families back home.

And most of it isn't shot by HD Pro cameras. They might use something like that for certain shots but a majority of it is recorded by camera men. It's hard to take a steady shot with a Go Pro. You can tell most of this is staged to get a certain shot which they probably use rail and booms.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:10 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,380,507 times
The Behind the Scenes episode a few weeks ago, showed exactly how the show is shot! The crew is much larger than I would have expected - lots of bodies on that set! And they use all kinds of cameras - including tiny cameras mounted all over the machinery, but there are also plenty of those beautiful big swooping shots from above - which means big bucks!

It's a beautiful show - really beautifully shot - and that's no accident. They've invested heavily in shooting it.

As for salaries, usually the participants on reality shows like this one are paid very little in the first season. MTV reportedly paid the cast of Jersey Shore $2200 each for the entire first season of that show - and now they each make over $100,000 per episode. Gold Rush obviously isn't as popular as Jersey Shore - but it's a pretty safe bet that the cast is making more this season than last!

Old 01-19-2012, 06:43 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,213,226 times
How is Todd so obese working in the outdoors and Alaska everyday?!?! Also his crew seems to be the most clueless, lol.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:40 AM

337 posts, read 793,946 times
I like the kid and actually like Todd's odd lot. But, they have made Dakota Fred an easy person to hate...

What surprises me is that the Mine Safety inspector did not shut them down form more hazards...

Old 01-19-2012, 11:34 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augustabuckeye View Post
I like the kid and actually like Todd's odd lot. But, they have made Dakota Fred an easy person to hate...

What surprises me is that the Mine Safety inspector did not shut them down form more hazards...
I think last season they tried to twist it into Fred being this big bad guy and the Todd gang being the underdogs that Fred bullies.

But I think it's clear that Fred really isn't that bad a guy and he has some knowledge and a better idea of what he's doing than the Todd gang.

It would be interesting to know the story of Fred and his son as his son speaks with a New Jersey accent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV