Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 12:23 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,732,457 times

Advertisements

You know, even Cheers, a show about a bar, I can't recall ever seeing a character raise a glass to their lips and partake of the drink. They might have drinks sitting in front of them, but you'd have to pay them extra to actually imbibe. They're not cold and frosty, you know. I don't even think they're real alcohol, but faked to appear "like" alcohol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 12:28 AM

6,790 posts, read 8,212,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
You know, even Cheers, a show about a bar, I can't recall ever seeing a character raise a glass to their lips and partake of the drink. They might have drinks sitting in front of them, but you'd have to pay them extra to actually imbibe. They're not cold and frosty, you know. I don't even think they're real alcohol, but faked to appear "like" alcohol.
Really? I could of sworn I have seen Norm take sips of his beer, but I'd have to rewatch to be sure.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:57 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,045,757 times
How I Met your MOther ! I think of this every time. I do think Norm drink on Cheers and on lot sof interviews for other shows, the actors talk about drinking iced tea in place of alcohol...sometimes apple juice or some concoction the crew makes up

Old 03-14-2011, 02:08 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,099,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
It seems that almost every comedy and drama contains drinking alcohol either on a regular basis or at least once per episode. I gave up drinking back in 1995 and even back then I didn't drink nearly as frequently as what's shown on TV. Do you, your friends, and or your family drink this frequently?

no,but it would destress my life if i could

Old 03-15-2011, 11:18 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,658,600 times
I used to. Once I got out of high school up until I was about 34 I got drunk (on beer) almost every day. I knew plenty of others who did as well.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:39 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,396,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
It seems that almost every comedy and drama contains drinking alcohol either on a regular basis or at least once per episode. I gave up drinking back in 1995 and even back then I didn't drink nearly as frequently as what's shown on TV. Do you, your friends, and or your family drink this frequently?
Now that I think about it; yes.

My girlfriends and I have drinks whenever we get together. Happy hours, movie nights, dancing, game nights; there is always alcohol offered.

My hubs and I also drink regularly either having a beer, a glass of wine or cocktail at least 1-2 nights out of the week. There are weeks when I have a small "nightcap" almost every night before bed. Just helps me relax.

When we're with his friends, yes, there are always drinks.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:59 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,951,399 times
I'm really out of the loop regarding current sitcoms and dramas. I pretty much watch History channel, HGTV, Food Network, Discovery, A&E, etc. They don't do much drinking on those shows, unless you count Intervention on A&E Actually, there's some drinking on Iron Chef America too.

I do buy TV series on DVD, and recently watched Ad Men for several days in a row. Whew, they sure drink a lot! I'm pretty much a red wine drinker, but I'll admit the show had me craving and drinking a few glasses of scotch! I'm a lightweight with that stuff, so I was loopy after like two episodes.

Back when Frasier was on, I remember they would constantly be drinking either coffee or wine, and then I'd crave one or the other. I'd be drinking right along with them.

Good thing I tend to flick over commercials; I'm just the kind of viewer that starts to crave what I see people eating or drinking on TV. If I actually watched commercials, I'd probably have a weight problem and an alcohol problem.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:37 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,212,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I'm really out of the loop regarding current sitcoms and dramas. I pretty much watch History channel, HGTV, Food Network, Discovery, A&E, etc. They don't do much drinking on those shows, unless you count Intervention on A&E Actually, there's some drinking on Iron Chef America too.

I do buy TV series on DVD, and recently watched Ad Men for several days in a row. Whew, they sure drink a lot! I'm pretty much a red wine drinker, but I'll admit the show had me craving and drinking a few glasses of scotch! I'm a lightweight with that stuff, so I was loopy after like two episodes.

Back when Frasier was on, I remember they would constantly be drinking either coffee or wine, and then I'd crave one or the other. I'd be drinking right along with them.

Good thing I tend to flick over commercials; I'm just the kind of viewer that starts to crave what I see people eating or drinking on TV. If I actually watched commercials, I'd probably have a weight problem and an alcohol problem.
I definitely don't drink as much as they do on Mad Men, I usually wait until I get home from work to open up a bottle, lol, it was a different world back then.

I don't really crave drinking when I see it on TV, but my fiancee' does big time, especially if he someone drink scotch, or super expensive sipping tequila, he has to have one.

Old 03-15-2011, 03:01 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,951,399 times
Whooops, meant "Mad Men"

Old 03-15-2011, 04:41 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,511,073 times
Quote:
Me too! I rented the first season of Mad Men from NetFlix and now I am hooked. I haven't gotten into a series this much in a long time. One of the reasons I like it is because I was one of those "girls" in the office during the 60's and I can tell you the show does not exaggerate about how women were treated during that time.

They do drink a lot but they smoke even more. I think it's a pretty accurate portrayal. I don't think office drinking is anywhere near today what it was then. When it is done, it's done more discreetly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV