Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2014, 07:55 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,948,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
Oh, he does! Didn't he propose to her last season or so?

I'm confused about one thing -- just what did Edith sign? Why is she signing anything?

I felt bad for Lord Gillingham -- just a case of bad timing, like so much of life. I understand why he had to propose now, it's just a shame he didn't come back into Mary's life a year from now. Six months really is too soon for most people to consider moving on, especially after a sudden death.
The document was supposed to give Edith control over her boyfriend's affairs while he was in Germany. She didn't read it before she signed it, which seems like a bad sign. Poor Edith....I don't see good things happening for her, though it would be nice to see her finally happy. Everyone seems to gravitate towards Mary, who is such a snobbish cold fish. Edith really is the better person, but doesn't have the looks that Mary does, unfortunately.

Now Anna is moving back into the servants quarters and leaving Bates alone? If she's trying to hide the fact that something happened, that isn't the way to do it. Everyone is noticing the change in Anna....wonder how long she will be able to keep her secret.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 08:23 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,581,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
The document was supposed to give Edith control over her boyfriend's affairs while he was in Germany. She didn't read it before she signed it, which seems like a bad sign. Poor Edith....
That just seems very weird to me. You'd think he'd have a business associate or lawyer sign instead of Edith. I wonder if he's run up debts that she's now responsible for. And does no one at Downton know that he's married??

Quote:
Now Anna is moving back into the servants quarters and leaving Bates alone? If she's trying to hide the fact that something happened, that isn't the way to do it. Everyone is noticing the change in Anna....wonder how long she will be able to keep her secret.
I think she'd rather die than have anyone know. I wouldn't put it past the writers to have Anna commit suicide. I started feeling sorry for Bates - so bewildered!

Old 01-20-2014, 12:39 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,574,372 times
I think Edith is a chump with a capital C - blindly signing a document she never read, legally she will have no power if something happened to him anyway - they aren't married or related - unless she unwittingly signed a voucher for debts or something stupid like that. Wouldn't his legal wife still have rights - and who really knows if she is mental or not. Nobody has met her. Edith obviously spent the night with him so she has now surrendered her morality and honor to be with him and her aunt knows it (and would no doubt use it if necessary). I'm wondering about the boyfriend too - I don't trust him - and there is just something about him. This is a very bad time for him to be so interested in Germany - I predict he will either join or already is a member of the Nazi party and if Edith still hooks up with THAT - well, you can imagine how that will play out. Edith is desperate to have a man of her own - any man.
As for Anna, virtually everybody suspects something - and Mr. Bates will put two and two together eventually. Her abrupt behavior when seated at the breakfast table next to the pig who attacked her was noticed by all - and her quickly asking if the valet was with Lord Gillingham when he stopped by to see Mary - I think even Carson noticed how jumpy she is. I really believe she feels that Mr. Bates will judge her and not want her - but she fails to consider how much he loves her and how she stood by him and supported him through his ordeal. He would never blame her - but I do think it was a sign of the times then (and in some instances today). I predict she becomes pregnant and will be forced to reveal her ordeal, but I hope she doesn't drive him away before then. Unless others are planning to leave the series (God, I hope not!) this opens all sorts of possibilities to get rid of cast members. Anna is loved and respected by the entire house - and nobody would think badly of her - and everybody saw her battered face and her personality change. She is not a convincing liar. Mrs. Hughes is a wonderful soundboard to her staff - a good friend and a loyal one too. She and Carson would be wonderful for each other. I have a feeling Edna is not gone for good yet - what a conniver she was. Mrs. Hughes handled her quite well I thought.
I am thoroughly enjoying season 4 so far, and it will be over all too quickly. I DO NOT live in a fantasy world, and I am fully aware these are NOT real people, so in case anybody wants to take me to task for that - please don't. It's just a show, but a mindless release that I can enjoy and look forward to each week. I enjoy the scenery, the sets, the different culture, all of it.

Old 01-20-2014, 12:52 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:
The document was supposed to give Edith control over her boyfriend's affairs while he was in Germany. She didn't read it before she signed it, which seems like a bad sign. Poor Edith....I don't see good things happening for her, though it would be nice to see her finally happy. Everyone seems to gravitate towards Mary, who is such a snobbish cold fish. Edith really is the better person, but doesn't have the looks that Mary does, unfortunately.

She said she was moving back since taking care of both ladies took more time. But it looks like next week the older woman is the other ladies maid. She's going to have to come up with a new excuse. The real thing she's terrified of is that Bates will find out and kill the man. It's not an unreasonable fear. I'd think if she's moving back that her secret is bound to come out even sooner.

Since Mary said no Lord Gillingham has less reason to come and visit so his servant might not be returning. I don't see Bates hunting the guy down, but if something happens to Anna over it I think he just might.

I think Anna will end up telling even if she didn't intend to and just how and when will make the difference.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
I think Edith is a chump with a capital C - blindly signing a document she never read, legally she will have no power if something happened to him anyway - they aren't married or related - unless she unwittingly signed a voucher for debts or something stupid like that. Wouldn't his legal wife still have rights - and who really knows if she is mental or not. Nobody has met her. Edith obviously spent the night with him so she has now surrendered her morality and honor to be with him and her aunt knows it (and would no doubt use it if necessary). I'm wondering about the boyfriend too - I don't trust him - and there is just something about him. This is a very bad time for him to be so interested in Germany - I predict he will either join or already is a member of the Nazi party and if Edith still hooks up with THAT - well, you can imagine how that will play out. Edith is desperate to have a man of her own - any man.
As for Anna, virtually everybody suspects something - and Mr. Bates will put two and two together eventually. Her abrupt behavior when seated at the breakfast table next to the pig who attacked her was noticed by all - and her quickly asking if the valet was with Lord Gillingham when he stopped by to see Mary - I think even Carson noticed how jumpy she is. I really believe she feels that Mr. Bates will judge her and not want her - but she fails to consider how much he loves her and how she stood by him and supported him through his ordeal. He would never blame her - but I do think it was a sign of the times then (and in some instances today). I predict she becomes pregnant and will be forced to reveal her ordeal, but I hope she doesn't drive him away before then. Unless others are planning to leave the series (God, I hope not!) this opens all sorts of possibilities to get rid of cast members. Anna is loved and respected by the entire house - and nobody would think badly of her - and everybody saw her battered face and her personality change. She is not a convincing liar. Mrs. Hughes is a wonderful soundboard to her staff - a good friend and a loyal one too. She and Carson would be wonderful for each other. I have a feeling Edna is not gone for good yet - what a conniver she was. Mrs. Hughes handled her quite well I thought.
I am thoroughly enjoying season 4 so far, and it will be over all too quickly. I DO NOT live in a fantasy world, and I am fully aware these are NOT real people, so in case anybody wants to take me to task for that - please don't. It's just a show, but a mindless release that I can enjoy and look forward to each week. I enjoy the scenery, the sets, the different culture, all of it.
Edith is caught between the world she grew up in and the one she yearns for, but she's so very innocent. I actually wonder if the card sharp and the boyfriend were working together. Robert feels indebted to the boyfriend now since he saved his finances and he doesn't have to tell the wife. But Edith is trying very hard to think of herself as the modern woman, but she is far too trusting. And she's trilled that a man wants her. It is very odd he'd have her take charge of his affairs, especially since she has no experience in that and he knows it.

I don't see Edith ever wishing to be in Germany as history unfolds, but she could easily get herself ensnaired in things. I'm pretty sure that document wasn't what it is supposed to be and given his ability to manipulate her boyfriend is trouble. And she has no clue she's about to make a disastorous mistake.

Since Anna is slowly falling apart, and everyone notices, I think eventually she'll have to tell. Even if she doesn't, Mrs Hughes knows. I think she might tell privately since its in everyone's interest to keep Bates from getting his revenge, including the upstairs.

I'm certainly not taking you to task over getting really into DA and its characters. Hey, I'm still writing Trek DS9 stuff and watch my dvd's. Don't feel the need to defend yourself here. The people who think immersing one in a story is bad are missing a lot of enjoyment. I LOVE that we have boards where we can share our fascination.

I'm thinking that maybe buying the dvd amazon had for a reasonable price is going to be necessary since I'm not sure I can stand all this suspense.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:51 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,201,370 times
Apparently we, who live in the present, are the only ones who think 6 months is not enough time to get over a husband's sudden death. Everyone at Downton except Mary thinks it's just fine to move on already. I suppose in those days with a woman being a 2nd class citizen and actually needing a man in her life, it was par for the course. Thank goodness Matthew was as progressive a thinker as Mary is.

I don't know what to make of Gregson's decision to become a German citizen. Is Hitler a factor yet in Germany? Stupid, stupid Edith, not reading those papers.

I feel so sorry for Bates. He does not deserve the way Anna is treating him. Part of me can understand her reaction but part of me can't.

Has anyone noticed that Hugh Bonneville is going to be in the upcoming movie "Monuments Men"? His face just stood right out and then I heard his voice. I'm not a George Clooney fan but I'd go to see "Robert"!

Old 01-20-2014, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Apparently we, who live in the present, are the only ones who think 6 months is not enough time to get over a husband's sudden death. Everyone at Downton except Mary thinks it's just fine to move on already. I suppose in those days with a woman being a 2nd class citizen and actually needing a man in her life, it was par for the course. Thank goodness Matthew was as progressive a thinker as Mary is.

I don't know what to make of Gregson's decision to become a German citizen. Is Hitler a factor yet in Germany? Stupid, stupid Edith, not reading those papers.

I feel so sorry for Bates. He does not deserve the way Anna is treating him. Part of me can understand her reaction but part of me can't.

Has anyone noticed that Hugh Bonneville is going to be in the upcoming movie "Monuments Men"? His face just stood right out and then I heard his voice. I'm not a George Clooney fan but I'd go to see "Robert"!
My guess is that in that day, or more properly before that day, most marriages of the upper class were arrainged, maybe with the bride having a say with no, but they were not love matches. She and Matthew were in love very deeply. But they would be the exception. From what I've seen in other things, a year was usually the cut off, but the old friend was just asking for an engagement, not the ceremony so I'm sure it would have waited. He had to ask then since he he had to be married and had a fiance but not one who was a deep love.

I do think Gregson started out looking for a way for a divorce. But with his gambling ability and the way he's not got favors from the other victums, I'm sure there is something more going on. I think he likes Edith, and really does want to marry her, but she fits into other unmentioned plans. Maybe a country gentry connection would serve him very well.

If its still 1922, Nazism and Hitler hadn't become known yet. But those brits who had married into German families had a very hard time of it when they did. If Edith married him and moves there, leaving could be complicated. My feeling from him is he'd find a way to fit in so she would be expected to too.

Poor Edith for being so stupid. I did notice how he seemed to be hurrying up her signing them, and she is so trusting.... I'm sure there is much more to it. And picking then to consumate the relationship is suspect too.

I hope our family doesn't start moving on too soon, since DA only shots part of the year and they have time to make movies and stay. Eventually DA will reach a point where its not the same story, but I'll stick around.

Old 01-20-2014, 03:51 PM

1,632 posts, read 1,850,357 times
The story lines improving a bit now...but the actings still as bad .

Old 01-20-2014, 05:32 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,063,850 times
Do you think Mr.Carson and Mrs Hughes will ever get together?

Old 01-20-2014, 11:41 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,201,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Do you think Mr.Carson and Mrs Hughes will ever get together?
NO! LOL I mean, no. I think people tried to be so bloody "civilized" they bit off their own noses for appearance sake. I think the having a little wine/sherry is as close as Carson and Mrs. Hughes will get.

Loved how Mrs. Hughes handled Braithwaite(?), Edna. I couldn't make out what Barrows responded to her after she asked if he was glad also that she was leaving. He had a smirk on his face so I doubt we've seen the end of Edna. Too bad.

Yeah, I think we are still in 1922. I haven't read much European History so I'm unclear as to when Hitler took over Germany.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV