Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2016, 05:30 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,264,689 times

Advertisements

Interesting that Cora scolded Mary about being insensitive about Mrs. Hughes' preferences for her wedding reception and Mary scolded Cora about being insensitive about lending her clothes.

And they both sent their ladies maids to dress the bride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 05:43 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,989,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDave View Post
Interesting that Cora scolded Mary about being insensitive about Mrs. Hughes' preferences for her wedding reception and Mary scolded Cora about being insensitive about lending her clothes.

And they both sent their ladies maids to dress the bride.
Cora was a witch to those ladies. It was inexcusable.

Old 01-19-2016, 05:58 PM

8,044 posts, read 10,638,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Looked like Tom spent his time in the US over eating.
Yeah maybe, but I realized I had big stupid grin on my face when he showed up at the wedding.. Cripes, it's just a show, but such an affecting one.

Old 01-19-2016, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
Yeah maybe, but I realized I had big stupid grin on my face when he showed up at the wedding.. Cripes, it's just a show, but such an affecting one.
I must admit, when Tom walked in, my first response was "Did he eat EVERY cream pie in Boston?!".

Old 01-19-2016, 07:29 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,257,117 times
Tom's return took the focus off the wedding couple. It was their special day. I realize it as a servant's wedding, but it seemed insensitive to interrupt the celebration for Tom. Now that Mary has been solely in charge of managing Downton's business affairs, will she want to relinquish some of her responsibilities to Tom? Edith has a rewarding career. I sense Mary might be envious.

Old 01-19-2016, 07:35 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBeingAMommy View Post
Cora was a witch to those ladies. It was inexcusable.
I dunno, if I walked into my bedroom and saw three of my employees helping themselves to my clothes, I'd probably be upset as well. Granted, Cora didn't give them time to explain -- and idiot Mary definitely should have asked Cora's permission before even mentioning the coat to Mrs. Hughes -- but Cora had every right to be angry.

Old 01-19-2016, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I dunno, if I walked into my bedroom and saw three of my employees helping themselves to my clothes, I'd probably be upset as well. Granted, Cora didn't give them time to explain -- and idiot Mary definitely should have asked Cora's permission before even mentioning the coat to Mrs. Hughes -- but Cora had every right to be angry.
I thought it was unbecoming of her as a lady, and just so I'll mannered toward four very devoted, loyal employees. Did she really think all four would just turn into thieves and steal her coat? It was just too out of character for her. Either she over acted, or the writing wasn't up to snuff, IMO.

Old 01-20-2016, 05:15 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,186,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBeingAMommy View Post
I thought it was unbecoming of her as a lady, and just so I'll mannered toward four very devoted, loyal employees. Did she really think all four would just turn into thieves and steal her coat? It was just too out of character for her. Either she over acted, or the writing wasn't up to snuff, IMO.
I agree. It was out of character based on her behavior the entire series. But the possibility of her over acting is believable. I used to think Elizabeth McGovern's acting in Downton was the worst of all the principal characters, but over the past couple of seasons, she and the character have started to grow on me.

Old 01-20-2016, 06:23 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,264,689 times
In the last episode...

The first scene with Mrs. Hughes and Mrs. Patmore showed them climbing the stairs all the way from the basement servants work area to the 3rd floor servants quarters, something they had to do numerous times a day. Being a servant in a big house meant climbing a lot of stairs.

After Mrs. Hughes was called into the Drawing Room to express her preferences for her wedding, the Crawleys immediately started sniping about them as soon as she and Carson left the room and stopped abruptly when Carson returned. Molesley, however, was also there, apparently invisible.

They'd never showed Mrs. Patmore meeting with Cora to discuss menus, which she likely did on an almost daily basis. (I remember Mrs. Bridges meeting with Lady Marjorie on Upstairs Downstairs regularly.) When they finally showed the meeting, it was downstairs instead of upstairs, which surprised me.

Edith is taking her time about deciding to work full time at the magazine. She talked about needing a purpose, but she has no purpose at Downton -- that's Mary and George's future. And why does she think she can hire a new editor in just a few days? London is where Edith's future lies. It'll be interesting to see how Bertie Pelham fits in to it.

We heard Molesley express his motivation for helping Daisy. "I've missed everything, but Daisy doesn't have to." Looks like he's got a job lined up for Daisy at the school. I hope her plans for Mr. Mason to take over Yew Tree Farm work out. It'll be a big disappointment if they don't.

Why didn't Mr. Bates get a rose? Doesn't he rate being an usher? They seemed to have plenty.

Looks like Tom wants something more than being Downton's agent. What paths could be opening for him?

Glad that we'll get to see what became of Gwen. I wonder if she still has a career or gave that up to get married. I hope they bring back other old characters just long enough for us to find out what happened to them.

Old 01-20-2016, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
I agree. It was out of character based on her behavior the entire series. But the possibility of her over acting is believable. I used to think Elizabeth McGovern's acting in Downton was the worst of all the principal characters, but over the past couple of seasons, she and the character have started to grow on me.
I agree with your take on McGovern. I never took to her, and I didn't know if it was her character or the way she acted. I still don't know which it is lol. Maybe I expected her to be more American in an English household? But my heart broke for her when she lost Sybil, and I think she had a heart of gold to forgive Robert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV