Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2016, 03:07 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,328,033 times

Advertisements

And all of a sudden Robert is quoting lines from literature?

I caught 3 quotes last night:

"You're a better man that I, Gunga Din."

One about a son's eyes seeing everything his mother is and does.

I can't remember the third one. Duh.

I don't remember his doing that in the other seasons. Did he?

I'm not complaining. I love it even though I can't remember two of the three.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 04:42 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,326,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
And all of a sudden Robert is quoting lines from literature?

I can't remember the third one. Duh.
And you're quoting Rick Perry... it's "oops" by the way.

Ah, that's why Robert complained that Mama did think that he could come up with anything on his own.

Old 01-25-2016, 06:07 PM

888 posts, read 454,381 times
I agree with much has been said about this season. It is dragging. Even if everyone is concentrating on finding their next big fish as this season, more focus on dialogue would help. I understand that they've got to wrap everything up, but let us in on conversations with conflict. Because we know the characters so well by now, it's as much about how they work things out as whether or not they do. We all know every story has a problem and then a solution. It's the resolution that's the interesting part.

Examples of missing conversations include those between Robert and Mary's blackmailer, Denka and Spratt walking off together after she covered for him with the constable, and Tom "telling" Mary Mr. Drew will become a tenant farmer. Mary wouldn't look at Tom and say "That's fine Tom. It's not what I would choose, but I don't mind." She would have said something else to show her disapproval, much as Violet wouldn't accept an undesirable outcome without arguing her point or at least giving some pointed comments. Each of these conversations could have provided good zingers. After Bates learned Ana is pregnant, once they had some privacy, it's unrealistic he wouldn't press her to stop withholding information. Even couples with an idyllic relationship will sometimes have to work to resolve a situation, not because they're in conflict with each other, but because the situation is messy and requires work to sort it out.

Scenes could have been cut. We didn't need all of them with Baxter deciding whether or not to testify. The look of fear on her face told the audience she's really scared. The scenes did show how she is becoming closer with Mosely, but that too could have been done with less.

Thomas poisoning Robert? I wouldn't put it past him, but I think he lacks motive to go after Robert. With Robert gone, Mary will be running Downton. Although she is an ally for Thomas, I don't think he would consider her being the sole owner worth the risk. The thought of Robert dying from a heart attack is interesting. Violet would loose her major protector.

Mary appears be starting to be less self-centered. Whether she wants to change or just change how people perceive her in order to get what she wants remains to be seen. She complemented Edith and was upset at how little she has done to help people compared to Sybil. I enjoyed the dinner scene when Gwen, the former house maid who became a typist and then a member of society, returned as a guest. Mary does go out of her way to help Ana, but that is not selfless considering what Ana does for Mary.

Old 01-25-2016, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedPeach View Post
I agree with much has been said about this season. It is dragging.
I don't agree that the show is "dragging," but that was the best critique justifying the argument.

Old 01-25-2016, 11:12 PM

888 posts, read 454,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
I don't agree that the show is "dragging," but that was the best critique justifying the argument.
Thank you!

Old 01-26-2016, 01:06 AM

2,080 posts, read 1,606,242 times
I just hope that Marigold has learned to talk by the end of the series. And that Daisy leaves Downton and gets an education or something; I'm sick of her. Also, I want Robert to get another dog (if he's still alive, that is).

At this point, I don't really care about the administration of the hospital; I'm rather sick of the whole issue; though it has prompted some good lines from Violet.

Old 01-26-2016, 05:12 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,186,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
I just hope that Marigold has learned to talk by the end of the series. And that Daisy leaves Downton and gets an education or something; I'm sick of her. Also, I want Robert to get another dog (if he's still alive, that is).

At this point, I don't really care about the administration of the hospital; I'm rather sick of the whole issue; though it has prompted some good lines from Violet.
I'm inclined now to agree with the PP's who have suggested the whole hospital story line has to come to arc in something to do with Robert's illness. Hopefully this time, everyone will listen to the wise and handsome Dr. Clarkson, because we all know what happened the last time he was right but everyone blew him off for some fancy London doctor....

Old 01-26-2016, 07:29 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,349,198 times
When is this over??

Old 01-26-2016, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Hopefully this time, everyone will listen to the wise and handsome Dr. Clarkson, because we all know what happened the last time he was right but everyone blew him off for some fancy London doctor....
I forgot all about that! Quick someone text Mama reminding her.... oh that's right she doesn't like using telephones much less a smart one.

Old 01-26-2016, 02:27 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,170,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
Based on many of the recent comments, perhaps it is best that this is the last season. It would seem, to me, that many viewers are becoming too "nit picky"?

I have already finished the season and loved it.........
Well, hopefully this season ends more interesting than it has started.

Just seemed to me that they were rushing through things to get to the next without much interesting detail. I did notice that they are giving Violet some really juicy lines and I'm enjoying that!

I think Mary should marry Tom. and I'd guess Lord G.'s pains will result in him having to go to hospital, and the local one not having the advanced equipment they need to attend to him...

Daisy needs to go off and work with Drew.

No matter what I think about this season's quality, I will still continue to watch. All that beautiful scenery and costumes and music. Way more quality I think than a lot of other stuff on tv these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV