Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2016, 08:54 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,327,909 times

Advertisements

Well that was fun. I'll have to watch again tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2016, 09:04 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Well that was fun. I'll have to watch again tomorrow.
I SO want to unwrap the dvd I got for my pledge and watch the Christmas episode now. But its only a few weeks. I'm getting the Science Channel some day soon, so recording all I can from that to watch over time until them make it free again, and keep having to juggle dvr time.

Somehow the Grantham family makes me glad I'm an only child. But they do remind me of my cousins.

I loved that when Robert is sitting in his chair his new beloved pup is sitting in her wicker basket happily working on chewing it up. Good puppy!

What was that that Robert said, Golly something? Where do they get words like that?

Old 02-21-2016, 09:18 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,078,154 times
Through the whole episode I was shouting at Edith to come clean! I was so disappointed that she didn't. The breakfast scene was excruciating to watch. But Edith used the right word--twice--to name her sister what she is in their row. I don't think I could have ever been as generous to Mary as she was, coming home for her wedding. Mary didn't deserve her presence there, but Edith showed herself to be the bigger person when she explained why she came. I believe Edith will have a happy ending--it feels like they're heading that way--and she will end up with a higher social standing than Mary. And for me, that will be the best ending the series could have.

The only one who is a bigger snob than Mary is Mr. Carson. Kudos to Robert, Cora and Rosamund for being so eager to help Mrs. Patmore out.

Old 02-21-2016, 09:56 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,188,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post

Carson is a grade A a-hole.
Yeah, what's up with that? I hope it gets rectified before the end of the series. Not the way I want to remember him.

Old 02-21-2016, 11:43 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,488,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Through the whole episode I was shouting at Edith to come clean! I was so disappointed that she didn't.
Indeed. Edith brought this on herself. And, what would have been the outcome had she told Bertie when it began to look serious? He might have accepted her when he was a mere estate agent - but, now, he is titled. And, don't forget about his Mama. To my mind, he needs time to think. His walking away isn't just because "she didn't trust him." That's baloney.

Quote:
The breakfast scene was excruciating to watch. But Edith used the right word--twice--to name her sister what she is in their row. I don't think I could have ever been as generous to Mary as she was, coming home for her wedding. Mary didn't deserve her presence there, but Edith showed herself to be the bigger person when she explained why she came.
Mary shouldn't have done what she did - BUT I will NEVER forget with Edith did when she - for absolutely NO GOOD REASON - wrote the Turkish Ambassador about the death of Mr. Panuk in Mary's bed - which tale got over the entire of London, to the point Mary felt the best she could do was Richard Carlisle.

What Edith did then was TOTALLY UNFORGIVABLE - and has made Mary a permanent enemy.

Family be damned - Edith was so jealous and resentful she saw to it that the worst possible scandal be visited on Mary.

Why did Edith do this at that time?? What had Mary ever done to Edith that Edith wanted Mary's reputation in tatters???

No...........I can NEVER forget that. I would hate Edith the rest of my life - and I think Mary does.

Quote:
I believe Edith will have a happy ending--it feels like they're heading that way--and she will end up with a higher social standing than Mary. And for me, that will be the best ending the series could have.
This I agree with. March 4th is, after all, the LAST episode. There need to be happy endings all 'round.

That said - I am NOT happy for Mary's current marriage. A race-car driver??? She's gonna go to the races every week and be happy about it?? Not on your life. This is an insane match. I think she made a HUGE mistake marrying this guy - and Edith will, indeed, have the last laugh in the end.

Old 02-21-2016, 11:51 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,162,840 times
Wow, what an episode today! Sounds like everyone is in agreement that there were a lot of surprises and excitement in this next to last episode (yes, I can't believe it's all about to end, too). I wished that Edith had told Bertie the truth way before he became the Marquess, but Mary is still a liar when she claims that she thought Edith had already told him already. She was torturing Edith at the breakfast table like a cat playing with a mouse. She really enjoyed it, too. You can tell how jealous she was when Robert was so delighted that Edith was going to marry Bertie, the Marquess, which would put him in even a higher class than the Granthams. It was really eating her up inside. With a relative (or even a friend!) like Mary you do not need enemies. There are certain people that do not celebrate with you at your triumphs and these people you need to keep a distance from. Edith has Mary's number all right and that "word" (lady dog) fits Mary perfectly. I loved it when Edith told Mary that she understood why she did it - "because you weren't happy and you didn't want me to be either" Edith should be a psychiatrist.

As for Carson, can he be more snobbier? He has been quite an a*%, but Mrs. Hughes seems to tolerate it better and even joked that he was her "curmudgeon". He really showed how clueless he was when discussing Thomas with Robert and saying "I didn't know he had feelings". Poor Thomas, he was so deathly pale, but I am glad he is going to be okay.

I was really happy to see Violet back! That was a great scene between Violet and Mary, who doesn't deserve to be treated so kindly but it really showed how sweet Violet can be.

Great show tonight!

Old 02-22-2016, 12:55 AM

888 posts, read 454,498 times
Now we know why Sprat was always reading the newspaper when he was downstairs.

...didn't see that one coming

Old 02-22-2016, 05:11 AM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedPeach View Post
Now we know why Sprat was always reading the newspaper when he was downstairs.

...didn't see that one coming
I just knew it was going to be a man who wrote that column, but Sprat was a surprise.

Old 02-22-2016, 06:41 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
Yes, Sprat was a big surprise...I was actually hoping that Bertie might be waiting in the office and they could be reconciled right there...

Of course, Sprat leaving the Dowanger's house w/o notice/approval will get him sacked and leave a perfect place for Barrows to wait until Carson retires (and the Dowanger's death)...

The only decent thing Mary has done has been to approve of Barrow's time with George and she was the only family member brave enough to visit him after the failed attempt...
How politic/caring of Barrow to slit his wrists while clothed...that way no one had to be confronted with his naked self...proving he does have feelings for others...

Still can't see what Henry finds to love beside her lithesome body and maybe the fact that she is willing to work to keep the estate afloat--but that is as much about her own, personal status as her family's at large...
Mary could never stand to be sidelined to a shabby apartment and reduced circumstances...so what she is doing comes from self-preservation not family loyalty...

Is there any hope that Michael Gregson can be resurrected at this late date?
Can he have been imprisoned by the Nazis or suffered amnesia after his attack?
Personally that would be the perfect ending for Edith, even if it would have been the perfect comeuppance for Mary to be seated below her sister into eternity...

Old 02-22-2016, 07:02 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,012,063 times
I was hoping Mary would make it right by talking to the Marquess and explaining the circumstances of Marygold's birth. The fact that she was engaged, the fiancé died, etc etc. Just apologizing doesn't seem enough.

And, they never did address whether or not he would continue with race-car driving.

Did anybody else tear up when Mary was at Matthew's grave and the person in the background came into focus and it was Isobel?

Speaking of Isobel, bravo! She is handling that family perfectly, "The ball is in Larry's court now."

I want Tom Branson to be my best friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV