Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2015, 04:34 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,356,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
LOL - I think your feelings about Cora are the same as mine about Edith

Well, Edith is a very close second for me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 04:47 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,816,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
What precisely are the duties of Mrs. Hughes? I know that she is in charge of the lady servants, but is that really a full time job? Mostly she seems to be more of a personal adviser and helpful friend when any of them get into trouble. If she were not there, wouldn't the household still run pretty much as it does? Doesn't Carson have a handle on matters? I'm trying to recall the last time she was depicted doing anything which could be described as her normal duties.
She's the head woman of the female staff which would have been a busy job in itself. And as such, is keeper of the keys... as in 'The Other'. Carson and Hughes, sort of an Management, Operations and Maintenance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
I had a bad feeling about Cora watching him leave from the upstairs window. What was that supposed to mean??

I also think (or would have wanted) Cora to tell her husband that she had clearly asked him to leave and he would not. I don't know if anything legally could have been done, but I think the punch and the exile was too mild.
She had already told him earlier 'if he would behave', then she had to tell him to leave her room. She didn't react to his looking up. I took it as an 'Can you hear me now?'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
A description of the duties of the different servants (though I have never seen Mrs. Hughes do anything like what is supposed to be her job)

Article 046--Servants--Their Hierarchy and Duties
Cool reference, aquietpath. Thanx

Last edited by metroxian; 02-02-2015 at 04:57 PM..

Old 02-02-2015, 04:49 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,268,226 times
With all this talk of Marigold, I'm wondering about Charlie, the bastard son of Ethel Parks and Major Bryant from seasons 2 & 3. His grandparents, the Bryants, are raising him as their grandson, but how do they explain him? His future will also be influenced by that fact that his parents weren't married. I'm wondering how the Bryants plan to pull that off.

Also, Ethel is working as a cook in a house nearby. I wonder if she stalks Charlie the way Edith stalks Marigold.

I doubt they'll have a "whatever happened to?" episode, but it would be interesting to see how Ethel and the Bryants are coming along.

Old 02-02-2015, 04:52 PM

16,686 posts, read 17,460,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Crawley family home - you mean the home Isobel is occupying? She/Matthew took that house when they moved back to claim his inheritance.

Yes, indeed, current owners/'caretakers' of Highclere need the millions derived from tourist revenue and filming to maintain the place. They've said the DA series has been a lifesaver.

I've lately been thinking about heat - since we just got 12" of snow with very low temps. What temp are those palaces usually kept in winter? I'll bet 60 degrees Fahrenheit is considered an achievement.
Yes, I just checked. It's Isobel Crawley's house.

The large Stately Homes such as Highclere are not easy to keep warm.

Old 02-02-2015, 05:02 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,268,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
I don't watch this series but my mother told me that the house used for the Crawley family home is one I know.

It used to belong to a colleague of my father and we used to go there quite often.

It's the one next to the church in the village of Bampton where a lot of filming is done.
Here's Downton Village (Bampton) on Google Maps.

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.7272.../data=!3m1!1e3

The big tree in the middle is in the center of town (village green). Crawley House is to the left.

Use Google Street View (drag the little orange man onto the map) to see where a lot of the scenes are filmed. The Bampton Library is the entrance to Dr. Clarkson's hospital, and the Post Office is on the next corner.

Old 02-02-2015, 05:03 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,816,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Isn't there usually a marriage or cancelled wedding every season ? What about this year ?

1. Isobel and the Lord ?

2. Rose and the guy she just met ?

3. Mosely and Baxter ?

4. Mary and Charles ? With ? or Without trying him out first ?

5. Edith and a returning Gregson [if he's alive] ?

Other ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
You should start a new thread - with a poll!

I have my guess.
Yes, great discussion. Is anyone getting married this year? Who do you think? There's been some prophetic comments the last couple of days, who can get it on the marriage stuff?

I think Isobel and the skinny Lord would be a good duo for Season 6.

Old 02-02-2015, 05:04 PM

28,109 posts, read 30,019,183 times
I'm noticing that Anna still refers to her husband as "Mr. Bates," even when they're alone. Is that just a peculiarity with her or what? It drives me crazy.

Old 02-02-2015, 05:26 PM

11,654 posts, read 12,733,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'm noticing that Anna still refers to her husband as "Mr. Bates," even when they're alone. Is that just a peculiarity with her or what? It drives me crazy.
Many people referred to their spouses in such a formal manner in the US as well.

Old 02-02-2015, 06:30 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,668,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
But, but wouldn't Bates know if Anna used the device??
probably not (when was the flashlight invented?), but I believe Lady Mary told Anna that it turned out to be unnecessary. Tony must have come prepared.

Old 02-02-2015, 07:05 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,978,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie'smom View Post
probably not (when was the flashlight invented?), but I believe Lady Mary told Anna that it turned out to be unnecessary. Tony must have come prepared.
It really troubled Anna to make that purchase for Lady Mary and then it wasn't used. When was condoms invented?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV