Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2015, 10:43 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Cora is such an idiot. IF she was really furious with Bricker's arrival to her bedroom she would have gone straight to the door, opened it and demanded that he leave. She didn't. He got totally in her room and she gave one of those lame brained looks she has when she told him to leave. I don't think for a second she would have been raped.

Edith needs to go away with the child and not listen to Violet or Rosalind again. She needs to grow some and take charge and stop acting like a passive little girl.

Barrows needs to die. Yes, I know he is troubled but he needs to go bye bye.
I'm thinking that Cora is so used to Robert ignoring her or saying stupid things like he did early on in the episode that she was tuning out all the subtleties. He was courting house party style like society did things. She wasn't listening and just liked the attention. She had zero intention of doing more than bugging Robert and perhaps making a hint.

She was ready to move and he had no clue and there were heavy objects in the room.

I guess Robert cut himself since someone upstairs needed a bandage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 10:46 PM

888 posts, read 454,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
When Star Trek was on, DS9 in particular, the usenet newsgroup was read by the production people since it told them if the fans got the same message they intended you to get. One of the writers even posted and answered questions. I think in today's web based society every show watches boards and other social media.
It's quite possible this discussion is being watched, although I wonder how many forums are discussing Downton and what criteria they use to decide which ones they'll follow.

Actually... Everything on CD is being watched, since the main purpose of the forums is to gather information about us to sell to the data miners. (At least that's my opinion based on what I know about the world of the internet.) Perhaps we will start to see Edwardian English Vacations show up in the ads sprinkled between forum posts.

Old 02-02-2015, 10:56 PM

1,632 posts, read 1,850,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'm noticing that Anna still refers to her husband as "Mr. Bates," even when they're alone. Is that just a peculiarity with her or what? It drives me crazy.
In England most of the sales women call each other by Miss or Mrs , in the bigger stores they do in front of customers anyhow .

Old 02-02-2015, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedPeach View Post
It's quite possible this discussion is being watched, although I wonder how many forums are discussing Downton and what criteria they use to decide which ones they'll follow.

Actually... Everything on CD is being watched, since the main purpose of the forums is to gather information about us to sell to the data miners. (At least that's my opinion based on what I know about the world of the internet.) Perhaps we will start to see Edwardian English Vacations show up in the ads sprinkled between forum posts.
Hmmm. Just might. Click on something different on Amazon and you find it popping up everywhere. I might even enjoy reading about Edwardian English Vacations. I've checked out a lot of boards though and tend to stick mostly with this one and I'm picky.

I don't get ads on this board which is very refreshing.

Old 02-02-2015, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supplies View Post
A lot of those castles and statley homes in England have been bought up by Russians now, use be Arabs buying them years back now most are Russian owned . Such a same the Brits couldnt afford to hang onto them much longer .
There's this great series on PBS where they showcase historic buildings. Secrets of Highclear Castle was really fascinating. The current owners reclaimed it after it being left unoccupied for a time, and virtually everything needed to be repaired. The ceiling was falling in in the main room you walk in. They restored it to just what it had been. But virtually everything there is used to make money. The land is farmed. The butler, one of a handfull of servants, runs the gift shop. They sell a specialty horse feed that the Lady of the house developed for her horses. The chef is world class and has two sui chefs as his only staff, but they operate a full time catering service. You can get married there, and they have the tours. When they're shooting the attendance with tours really spikes. They work hard to maintain their beautiful estate, a much different kind of live than the owners of country estates back when Robert and Cora were in residence, and looking towards the future with worry. About half of the country estates ended up knocked down they were in such bad repair and the land sold so the Carnarven family was lucky.

Old 02-03-2015, 07:11 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,508,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Temp43k View Post
Yes, great discussion. Is anyone getting married this year? Who do you think? There's been some prophetic comments the last couple of days, who can get it on the marriage stuff?

I think Isobel and the skinny Lord would be a good duo for Season 6.
I'd like to see Gregson return from Germany and marry Edith, but I fear he's dead.

Mosely and Baxter, meh, not enough interest.

Rose and the new guy, maybe, 3 episodes left is long enough for them to get together.

Isobel and the Lord is almost too sensible; she'll end up with the Dr. ?

Mary and Charles ? Possible, though somewhat awkward after her tryout with Tony.

I'll go with a return of Bunting to marry Tom.
----------------------
To end the series next year, the Christmas special. The wedding of Mr. Carson and Mrs. Hughes, who we see leaving DA as the final scene of the show.

Old 02-03-2015, 07:17 AM

6,472 posts, read 6,679,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Many people referred to their spouses in such a formal manner in the US as well.
I remember that on The Waltons, Corabeth Godsey always called her husband "Mr. Godsey." (Ike and Corabeth owned the town's General Store.)

Old 02-03-2015, 07:22 AM

6,472 posts, read 6,679,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie'smom View Post
probably not (when was the flashlight invented?), but I believe Lady Mary told Anna that it turned out to be unnecessary. Tony must have come prepared.
What was the device that Anna bought? And what does a flashlight have to do with it?

Old 02-03-2015, 08:03 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,664,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
What was the device that Anna bought? And what does a flashlight have to do with it?
the flashlight reference was a crude attempt at humor..... I should have put a in there

I assume the the device was a cervical cap, similar to a diaphragm. Mr Bates need not know. If he found it (in a drawer), he would feel that Anna was deceiving him about wanting a family with him.

Best I remember, when Lady Mary asked Anna to purchase it, Anna asked if Tony wouldn't take care of the issue, and Mary said she wasn't leaving it to chance. I think she really was still deciding. Tony took her acceptance as meaning that the decision was made. She wouldn't sleep with him if she didn't intend to marry him.

I don't think Tony pushed Greene under the tram because Greene supposedly said "What are you doing here?" before he fell, and I don't think he would have said that to Tony.

Even so, I sort of wanted Tony to tell Mary that he killed his valet for her when she tried to drop him

Old 02-03-2015, 08:44 AM

1,635 posts, read 1,814,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedPeach View Post

Well, yes. Some topics can be found directly linked in a search engine results. And there are entertainment websites that have the same discussions we see here, with the same variations of response. And I realized a dozen or so years ago that if I'm thinking about it then there's a thousand or so others thinking about it too. Which reminds me to get an early start to the grocery store to beat the long lines.

And data mining companies know that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV