Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2011, 07:49 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,478,660 times

Advertisements

the father is not very bright. he needs to understand that there is a war between the sixers and the colony.

sheesh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 08:31 PM

7,395 posts, read 5,510,468 times
I think the sixer spy is the guy who wants to 'court' the teen daughter.

Old 10-18-2011, 03:11 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,608,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
the father is not very bright. he needs to understand that there is a war between the sixers and the colony.

sheesh.
I don't know. I think maybe he wants to better understand why there is this conflict. Until this episode he'd only heard that one guy's side to it.

Still the Sixers threaten kids to do their dirty work and, if I understood it right, are themselves being threatened by the people back in the 22nd century. If they are an agent of the 22nnd c. government, even if a coerced one, they would be unlikely to be any ally to the Dad as the Dad was imprisoned by that government. So even if the Terra Nova leader is lying to him the other side is probably not good at least not from his perspective.

I'm thinking the original purpose of Terra Nova was either to throw out their society's malcontents, the scientist who recommended the Doctor/Mom is apparently a critic of the government as well, or maybe based in hope that someday it would be two-way and they could use its resources to save their own timeline. If it's the first maybe they resent his trying to make a working society from the dissidents and malcontents. Like maybe it was supposed to be "a trick." Tell them they're essentially going to enjoy "a better life on the alternate timeline colony" when it's really meant to be more like a cushier version of a Gulag. If that's the case he'd still be "good" by making it not a Gulag. If it's the second (a desire for two-way travel) maybe Terra Nova's leader guy was supposed to research, on his end, how to turn it into a two-way conduit but he refused. This scenario could make him good or bad. He could be simply giving up his old world for dead when maybe resources or research from this world could save it if he'd just do his dang job. Or he's "good" because the 22nd c people just want to exploit and plunder this world to prop up a society that's irreparably doomed.

Or I'm putting way more thought into this than they ever would.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:56 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,409,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I don't know. I think maybe he wants to better understand why there is this conflict. Until this episode he'd only heard that one guy's side to it.

Still the Sixers threaten kids to do their dirty work and, if I understood it right, are themselves being threatened by the people back in the 22nd century. If they are an agent of the 22nnd c. government, even if a coerced one, they would be unlikely to be any ally to the Dad as the Dad was imprisoned by that government. So even if the Terra Nova leader is lying to him the other side is probably not good at least not from his perspective.

I'm thinking the original purpose of Terra Nova was either to throw out their society's malcontents, the scientist who recommended the Doctor/Mom is apparently a critic of the government as well, or maybe based in hope that someday it would be two-way and they could use its resources to save their own timeline. If it's the first maybe they resent his trying to make a working society from the dissidents and malcontents. Like maybe it was supposed to be "a trick." Tell them they're essentially going to enjoy "a better life on the alternate timeline colony" when it's really meant to be more like a cushier version of a Gulag. If that's the case he'd still be "good" by making it not a Gulag. If it's the second (a desire for two-way travel) maybe Terra Nova's leader guy was supposed to research, on his end, how to turn it into a two-way conduit but he refused. This scenario could make him good or bad. He could be simply giving up his old world for dead when maybe resources or research from this world could save it if he'd just do his dang job. Or he's "good" because the 22nd c people just want to exploit and plunder this world to prop up a society that's irreparably doomed.

Or I'm putting way more thought into this than they ever would.
Except (barring the dinosaurs) TN seems way better than where they came from, no? It's no Siberia that's for sure...

Judging by the episodes they've aired - we are ALL puttng more thought into it than the writers..........

So my husband is out of town and I'm baby-wrangling by myself so I wasn't able to totally focus on lat nights episode but did the Shannon family "adopt" both kids at the end? They're like the Pitt-Jolie family of the new world?

I don't get the courting angle either? Vs. the other teens (sullen brother and his posse) who seem to be a bit more relaxed in their dating?

Old 10-18-2011, 09:59 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,185,807 times
Yeah, lets save humanity by going to a place in time, when we know for a fact, that ALL life on earth that weighed more then something like 10lbs died along with most the worlds vegetation. Great idea!

Old 10-18-2011, 11:58 AM

6,790 posts, read 8,214,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
Except (barring the dinosaurs) TN seems way better than where they came from, no? It's no Siberia that's for sure...

Judging by the episodes they've aired - we are ALL puttng more thought into it than the writers..........

So my husband is out of town and I'm baby-wrangling by myself so I wasn't able to totally focus on lat nights episode but did the Shannon family "adopt" both kids at the end? They're like the Pitt-Jolie family of the new world?

I don't get the courting angle either? Vs. the other teens (sullen brother and his posse) who seem to be a bit more relaxed in their dating?
No, the other kids went to live with a widow we never met, but it was implied that it was a happily ever after for them.

Old 10-18-2011, 04:12 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,134,069 times
Quote:
But why on earth would anyone in their right mind choose the Cretaceous period to resettle humankind when you know damn well know that the era ended in one of the greatest extinction events in earth history???

Old 10-18-2011, 06:37 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,478,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
But why on earth would anyone in their right mind choose the Cretaceous period to resettle humankind when you know damn well know that the era ended in one of the greatest extinction events in earth history???
1 - i think the wormhole might have been to a random time

2 - they have about 20 MILLION years to figure it out. Now, I may be mistaken, but I think a 20 MILLION year period with no mass extinction events might be a pretty nice time to live in!

Old 10-18-2011, 08:23 PM

627 posts, read 1,298,332 times
Did they kind of hint that they may be able to go back after all? In the conversation Jim had with Mira about how she's being threatened also? She said they told her she can see her family if she succeeds.

I guess that could go borh ways. Either they would send them or let her go back to see them...

I don't know.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:24 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,608,683 times
Quote:
That's a good point. And they did apparently give them enough to build nicer houses than they have at home.

Although it could still be a way to get rid of malcontents. I did say "a cushier version of a Gulag." The people are still, basically, disconnected from everything back home and will have minimal influence there. So it could be like "we admire your intelligence and gumption, but we also fear and dislike you so we'll make you a nice prison over there." I mean they live a rather confined life in some ways. And it's at least implied they no longer have much or any access to movies, TV, video-games, whatever. And they seem to die at a fairly high rate, even if it's in warmer and more exciting ways than respiratory failure. Still I guess you're right that it doesn't quite work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV