Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 10:18 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,162,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Yeah, but they don't hardly carry them in the stores. If you want a DD you have to mail order them. However C cup and under they'll have everything you want in every style they sell in store. And if your are a busty woman who is foolish enough to go in there and be sized by one of their "experts" they will sister size you down to 34/36C because that's a vanity size that most women "want" to wear. It appears to me that they purposely feature skinny but busty models whether natural or augmented and purposely put them a bras a cup or two too small so they have lots of excess cleavage bubbling out of the top.

I have no problem with the ads, but I do admit they are racy (because of the bouncing - MJ doesn't cavort around in his briefs). I don't see how they are marketing themselves to young girls at all, but even if they are not, they may or may not create image problems for them, but that's another thread. I seem to remember some controversy over Lane Bryant wanting to run a racy ad with one of their full figure models and it getting yanked whereas a similar VS spot ran in the same time slot. Maybe it was a publicity stunt, or maybe it was bias against big girls?
Sorry to hear that..I'm not sure where you are located, but ALL of my local VS stores carry these sizes. Both my daughter and I shop there for those sizes. Never had a problem.
I have no problem with the ads at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 10:36 AM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,306,891 times

Old 04-05-2012, 10:45 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
The average size women in the Dove commercials are sometimes in their underwear. The plus size ladies advertising Playtex are too. And they (gasp) move around. So because they are regular or on the plus side does that make them any less provocative than the VS commercial? I don't hear anyone complaining about them.

I think they all look just fine.
I'm not quite sure what you are asking, or if this is directed at me.

I think the difference between the Dove and Playtex is that those people are going for a more natural woman look with everyday comfortable underwear. The women aren't dolled up in makeup nor is their hair exotically styled. The VS women are generally making love to the camera, walking on a runway and generally acting seductively. There is definitely a difference in the way the ads are shot. The Lane Bryant ad had a plus size woman acting almost as provactive (or arguably more so) as they typical woman in a VS ad which is why I think it got the attention it did and why there is no real backlash about the Dove or Playtex ads.

I have no problem with any of them.

Old 04-06-2012, 03:12 AM

4,061 posts, read 9,884,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Pardon my abruptness...but the kid sounds like he needs a male father figure in his life. For all I know, he may indeed have one, but the concerns you seem to have and express are something that single moms might have with their only teenaged son.
I have three sons and they are all fine, thank you. This has nothing to do with any of them. I think everyone is reading way too much into this subject.

Old 04-06-2012, 03:18 AM

4,061 posts, read 9,884,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Do what we do...when you see these types of commercials, scream out "Whores!" and have everyone run from the room.
I don't think they are whores.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:03 AM

2,887 posts, read 2,635,197 times
They aren’t any more revealing than what can be seen at any beach or poolside. Some of the gals are a bit on the overly skinny side but that’s just me I suppose.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV