Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 11:22 AM

1,068 posts, read 2,022,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Did I say it was going to compare? No, I did not. I'm merely discussing a new firefighting show about to come on. Min asked about a show dealing with a fire a week and I responded that Rescue Me was on for awhile so maybe a firefighter show can go the distance. Musta got scrambled over the Atlantic.
Woah, not so fast tazmania. Slow down, your wheels are spinning off the grid. I'm detecting a little fuzziness on the line and some over-sensitivity in the crossed wires here? A little touchy there for reasons unbeknown to me. Are you in the show or something?

i'm just curious and this is a TV section. Wasn't expecting that kind of reaction. My question was a simple one.

And I'll now aim it at anyone who has actually seen the show so relax this is for anyone. I just gave an outline of what made Rescue Me a drama that sustained 6 Seasons and was just looking for a rundown of what this shows angle is going to be on the whole firefighting thing.

Is the only thing that really sets this show apart the location? I'm genuinely interested because I have some relatives in Chicago and like the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 09:46 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,201,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear&Whiskey View Post
How does it compare? I liked Rescue Me even though it wasn't very fashionable here in the UK. Had a big Irish connection so I could relate to alot of the humour and as well the 9/11 connection seems to have built a strong foundation from which Dennis O'Leary could contrast the changing New York with the changing skyline that resonated so much in the opening credits.

I'm just wondering how Chicago Fire is going to compare when it hasn't got such a cataclysmic event to propel it into contention.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear&Whiskey View Post
Woah, not so fast tazmania. Slow down, your wheels are spinning off the grid. I'm detecting a little fuzziness on the line and some over-sensitivity in the crossed wires here? A little touchy there for reasons unbeknown to me. Are you in the show or something?

i'm just curious and this is a TV section. Wasn't expecting that kind of reaction. My question was a simple one.

And I'll now aim it at anyone who has actually seen the show so relax this is for anyone. I just gave an outline of what made Rescue Me a drama that sustained 6 Seasons and was just looking for a rundown of what this shows angle is going to be on the whole firefighting thing.

Is the only thing that really sets this show apart the location? I'm genuinely interested because I have some relatives in Chicago and like the place.
Sorry, my good fellow! I read your first post with a snotty attitude behind it. The pond shortcircuited my wires. I'm too used to people having 'tude so I cop one first.

LOL, I like that.."tazmania".

I can't answer you about how they would/will compare. I never watched Rescue Me except for once.

My apologies. Pip pip and cherrio!

Old 10-03-2012, 01:22 PM

1,068 posts, read 2,022,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Sorry, my good fellow! I read your first post with a snotty attitude behind it. The pond shortcircuited my wires. I'm too used to people having 'tude so I cop one first.

LOL, I like that.."tazmania".

I can't answer you about how they would/will compare. I never watched Rescue Me except for once.

My apologies. Pip pip and cherrio!
Chicago Fire. This time it's personal.

Seriously though, that's fine. This forum has helped me out in finding good American dramas and so I trust the posters here in pointing me in the right direction. Even some of the best American shows don't make it here so any advice is always gratefully received.

I have managed to locate a trailer for the show and I like the look of it, so it's definitely one I hope to catch at some point even if I might have to wait until it comes out on DVD.

Anyway, glad we're back on the same wave level. Message received loud and clear.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:29 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
Watched it the other night (on demand) and didn't care for it. People screaming at each other "I know best", making fun of the rookie, just way too much in the first episode.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:21 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,201,370 times
I watched it last night on demand too. I liked it. The first 5 mins....wow. If you've ever known a firefighter who was killed on the job, get ready for some heavy duty emotional reaction. (just like I can't stand to see someone hanging)

The show was created by Dick Wolf, the creator of Law and Order. It seems to be heavily driven character based, like a soap. I will watch it when it starts it's regular run.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:15 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
I used to live in Chicago. So maybe I will watch it for the scenery. Or Mrs. O'Leary's cow.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:32 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,472,161 times
No offense to the people who actually fight fires for a living, but do we really need a weekly tv show that revolves around this? Those of my generation remember the shows Emergency and Firehouse back in the 70s. Firefighting was put in the spotlight with movies like Backdraft and Ladder 49. Granted, there haven't been anywhere near as many tv shows about firefighting as police dramas through the years, but it just seems to me like the people who create tv shows are running out of fresh ideas.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:10 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,646,222 times
Ha! The "fresh ideas" thing...for the most part, that ship sailed long ago! And then when fresh, creative ideas do somehow come along in a new TV show, the show is usually cancelled because not many people of the "right" age group watch it. I guess we pretty much get what the majority of people in the 18 to 49 demographic group (so valued by advertisers) want to watch. Sad, but true!

Old 10-10-2012, 06:42 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,186,581 times
I'm gonna check this out.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:56 AM

9,138 posts, read 5,804,991 times
I was looking forward to this one, but I thought it sucked.

It would be good for a drinking game.
Every time you see the Sears (Willis) Tower, you take a shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV