Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2018, 10:12 PM

2,837 posts, read 2,696,311 times

Advertisements

[quote=loves2read;52053804]for me--disappointing and drawn out...
I was hoping for certain things that I felt were more in keeping with the show's proclivities...

It was extremely...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2018, 10:16 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,201,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Wow, had no idea The Americans was based on real events!!
I remember when that happened. I was stunned that real Russian spies lived in Cambridge! Big news in Mass. I also did not know The Americans was based on them.

I feel a little bad for the kids. They can't help that Mom and Dad were Ruskie spies but we will never really know if the kids knew, were being groomed. Terrible situation.

As for the finalé, meh. Was René a spy or not?

Old 05-30-2018, 10:21 PM

2,837 posts, read 2,696,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I remember when that happened. I was stunned that real Russian spies lived in Cambridge! Big news in Mass. I also did not know The Americans was based on them.

I feel a little bad for the kids. They can't help that Mom and Dad were Ruskie spies but we will never really know if the kids knew, were being groomed. Terrible situation.

As for the finalé, meh. Was René a spy or not?
Good question. Her behavior was weird. Poked all our imaginations.

Old 05-30-2018, 11:57 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
I thought it was a splendid ending. They did follow real life as I surmised, sort of, for the kids.

Old 05-31-2018, 12:48 AM

4,490 posts, read 4,984,317 times
I was a little confused when Elizabeth was in bed with the black guy, he touched her stomach and she said "I never wanted a kid anyway"
And confused to see where Paige ended up.

Old 05-31-2018, 12:57 AM

4,490 posts, read 3,931,395 times
I'm not exactly sure what I was hoping for, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't it.

Old 05-31-2018, 05:42 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
I was reading something on the NYTimes last night after the final episode and just the headlines told me the Times was happy with it---
That was a little pandering I think--
Just because it has been a good to great series doesn't excuse last night's plodding pace...

Spoiler
It was intersting to see Paige return to the the "meetup" apartment (sans Claudia of course). She is stuck with the identity on that passport now---I don't know if she would try to meet Stan and work out some some of reapproachment with him/FBI in order to be with Henry...but she has set herself a very hard row to hoe for the rest of her life.
I didn't think she really cared for Henry that much, that she was jealous of him in some ways...
But the idea that Stan would let them walk away when he KNEW they had murdered people because they were just "doing their jobs" showed he was pretty much spineless...I just remembered that Stan said he never killed anyone when he was undercover before coming to DC--so he really was a wuss...and apparently will be living with a Stazi agent for the rest of his life...or career...
I was hoping they would be met at the border and taken up by the anti-Gorbchev actors in the KGB to be shot...holding hands...and buried in unmarked graves...
Plus can we agree that US Border Guards/sheriffs/whatever those guys were are just dumb...

Old 05-31-2018, 06:12 AM

1,253 posts, read 1,380,975 times
I liked it. I liked that Phillip got "real" with Stan in the garage. I like that they ended up alone and disconnected from everything. They don't fit in anymore and they have no future without their kids.

I think the Elizabeth dream sequence with the man in bed was just designed to show her anxiety and sadness -- she has trouble putting things into words. And the paintings -- they always spoke to her on some level -- so it was interesting that they were in the dream.

I think Renee IS a spy -- and I think Stan now suspects that. Who knows?

The only thing I have trouble with is Stan actually letting them go. Despite the feelings between them -- I don't think a dedicated and trained law enforcement office would do that. But it was good for the show.

Old 05-31-2018, 08:31 AM

4,362 posts, read 6,533,449 times
Kind of liked the ending, it was subdued and a bit introspective. It sort of went out like how "The Shield" did.

I think Paige stayed behind because they disguised her as Thelma from Scoobie-Doo.

Music was good in the episode.

Old 05-31-2018, 09:10 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post

Same for me....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV