Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 08:46 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
"The Waltons", after Olivia moved away for tuberculosis treatment. That always seemed like a highly unlikely illness for her to contract, considering the role was of only one person in a large family which lived a very healthy lifestyle and came into contact with a limited number of others and spent a lot of time outside.

It didn't help when John-Boy moved to New York, or when the other kids grew up, got married, had babies, joined the armed forces, etc., nor when Grandma and Grandpa's roles were necessarily changed due to stroke and death - it was sad to see the show struggle on, and the newly introduced characters just didn't seem convincing.
This was when she chose to leave the series, and instead of having her suddenly die or something, freeing up the story line, they exiled her to Arizona. She changed her mind later and 'recovered'. This is the classic example of why when a character goes don't try to pretend they are sitting out of view in the same room. If she'd died it would have left husband free to mourne and meet some other mom fill ins. The idea that she was on the phone but we neither see nor hear her just didn't work. I actually liked the war era shows, even if they had a strange looking John boy, since so few times has anyone portrayed wartime civilian life during that time period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 12:35 AM

580 posts, read 965,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
They should just call this category the "Simpsons Award". I guess you could make a case for SNL also.
Sorry but I happen to believe the Simpsons and SNL are both institutions. I do understand where you're coming from.

For me, they're not shows, they're movies. The Die Hard series seems to be getting like that. I don't know why. I think it's because they just make too many Die Hard movies. To me three or four is enough. Also anything with Freddy Kruger and Jason. They come, they kill a bunch of people then they get defeated in some way only to return for more killing. It's all played out.

When it comes to actual shows, I don't know, The Ninja Turtles seem to be played out too much. Same with Transformers. The original series from the eighties were both good and I'll even say I liked the newer versions from the early turn of the century (2000s) but this whole trying to keep everything hip and appealing to little kids is kind of a dumb idea. It would just be better if they showed the old stuff.

Other than those things I can't think of anything else. The Kardashians franchise? they should have been off the air a long time ago.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:41 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,810,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
"All in the Family" should have known it was time to hang it up when they started writing the "adopt that semi-hot chick from the New Radicals" storyline, much by the time they changed it to "Archie Bunker's Place."

When Rob Reiner and Sally Struthers left, AITF should have packed it in.
When Richard Thomas left, The Waltons should have packed it in.
When Dana Plato left, Diff'rent Strokes should have packed it in.

Any series that relies on a gimmick to keep it going (e.g. "Who Killed Laura Palmer?") is bound to end up disappointing.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:47 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,810,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Ghost Whisperer (TV series 2005-2010) - IMDb ghost whisperer. The show went off the deep end after the third season.
Prison break
Mork and Mindy...
Suits...rapidly goimg...

The honchos at ABC tampered with Mork and Mindy and it never really recovered. Maybe it was doomed from the start anyway.

Mork & Mindy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-11-2013, 09:51 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
X-Files got very corny toward the end, And i loved that show.

2 And a half men-This show needs to end. It's basically 3 men now and Ashton does not have Charlie Sheen's character nailed down at all.

Jersey Shore-Should have been cancelled before airing. 30 something men walking around out here talking about "smooshing". Ugh.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:52 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,679,772 times
2 1/2 men

Old 03-11-2013, 10:10 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,993,784 times
They should have ended The Mentalist when Patrick Jane killed Red John. Instead, they went for the hackneyed, "Oh, that wasn't really Red John" storyline. I still watch but I hate myself for it.

When Damages moved to DirecTv, the quality dropped off considerably. Such a shame, first 3 seasons were incredible.

How I Met Your Mother better tell us soon, how he met their mother, or it may get cancelled before we find out!

Old 03-11-2013, 01:50 PM

2,727 posts, read 6,153,802 times
Yup, Two and a Half is now there too. I couldn't even watch all of last week's episode.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:57 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Gilmore Girls lost a lot of its steam after Palladino left.

Law & Order in all its incarnations is a show I just don't get the appeal of. Totally predictable plots. Horrible dialogue. No one on those shows act so much as pose.

ALIAS. The first 2 seasons are some of the best action adventure TV ever made. But unfortunately, they made 3 seasons after that.

Happy Days kind of goes without saying. First 2 seasons good. After that, not.

The West Wing never recovered from Sorkin's departure.

Frasier felt very tired the last season or two.
Law & Order was very good in the beginning (1st 4 - 5 seasons). The last 5 years they were over the moon political and it stunk.

Tour of Duty decided to take the guys out of the jungle and put them on a base in Season 2 just so they could justify adding some women, I think. HUGE mistake.

And we all know psycho Mulder really killed his sister on The X-Files when he was a kid and made up the whole alien story but because they wanted a movie franchise, they couldn't end the series like it should have been ended --- with John Doggett, other FBI agents and the Massachusetts State Police police digging up Samantha's remains in the Mulder's Chilmark house backyard and arresting the psycho.

Old 03-11-2013, 02:12 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,548,625 times
The last two seasons of Desperate housewives.
The whole Real House wives series(mostly real House wives of Atlanta)
The last season of Curb Your Enthusiasm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV