Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 01:58 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times

Advertisements

It would be hard for anybody to put together a comprehensive list, you've done a good job... except.

James Evans (John Amos) Good Times.

Alan Eppes (Judd Hirsch) Numbers

Lucas McCain (Chuck Connor) The Rifleman

Rick Castle (Nathan Fillion) Castle

George Lopez (George Lopez) show of the same name

Maj. John D. McGillis(Gerald McRaney) Major Dad

Gomez Adams (John Astin) The Addams Family

Bernie McCullough (Bernie Mac) Bernie Mac Show

John Robinson (Guy Williams) Lost in Space

Carl Winslow (Reginald VelJohnson) Family Matters

Dan Connor (John Goodman) Roseanne

Phillip Banks (James Avery) Fresh Prince

Capt. Benjamin Sisko (Avery Brooks) Star Trek NG

Herman Munster (Fred Gwynne) The Munsters

I had to stop, I was getting tired...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 02:03 PM

2,095 posts, read 3,103,217 times
I have to say, I have yet to see a dad listed that I would want as my father. That being said, I can't really think of any man on TV who I would want to be my dad.

Old 04-24-2013, 02:04 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,033,859 times
Andy Griffith from the Andy Griffith Show would probably top my list, however, Steven Keaton from Family Ties or Mike Brady from The Brady Bunch would be a close second. Those three men were all intelligent, patient, wise, and easy-going and very similar to my own father.

Old 04-24-2013, 02:05 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,261,268 times
Definitely Gomez Addams.

He's a good guy, easy-going, likes to have fun, rich, has a great house, and cool relatives.

If there was any TV family that I'd like to spend time with, it would be the Addams.

Old 04-24-2013, 02:25 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
and Don Porter (Gidget) as widower dads.
Porter had a long and strange career in that every role he played through dozens of tv guest appearances were pretty much the same character, a competent but immemorial actor.

With one amazing exception.....he was absolutely incredible as Crocker Jarman, the California senator Robert Redford is trying to unseat in Michael Ritchie's "The Candidate." Jarman was supposed to be a slick, smooth operator without much substance, and those were exactly Porter's acting skills.

If it wasn't for that film, I would have spent my life constantly confusing Porter for All State spokesman Ed Reimers.

Old 04-24-2013, 02:56 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,619,995 times
Psycho Dad

al bundy - psycho dad - YouTube

Old 04-24-2013, 04:20 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,190,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildaLoo View Post
I'm not going to argue with you. I have the benefit of reading history books on my side. You might want to give it a shot!
You are by stating your first sentence. This is an entertainment thread with an entertainment question I answered you've only attacked and not stayed on topic.

Back on topic again Charles Engalls from the choices.

Old 04-24-2013, 04:35 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,584,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildaLoo View Post
I have to say, I have yet to see a dad listed that I would want as my father. That being said, I can't really think of any man on TV who I would want to be my dad.
Why would you not want Andy Griffith as your dad?

For me it would be Andy Griffith and Hank Hill. They were great men that stood up for what they believed in and both were great dads. I love how Hank Hill loved everything about America and Andy Griffith was "the sheriff without a gun".

Old 04-24-2013, 04:55 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,435,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
In terms of being an admirable father, I have to go with Sheriff Andy Taylor. The original Andy Grifith Show is one of those TV shows I never tire of watching.

He gets my vote too. I love The Andy Griffith Show re-runs.

Old 04-24-2013, 05:07 PM

808 posts, read 1,878,936 times
I'll admit I've only seen a handful of these shows but none of them seem particularly appealing to me. It probably goes without saying that Red Foreman, Homer Simpson, Al Bundy and Archie Bunker make for great entertainment but would be terrible fathers in real life. I can't see Andy Griffith, Cliff Huxtable, Mike Brady or any of the other old school head-of-the-household patriarch types being relevant in modern America so they're out. Maybe the dad from Glee would be okay. I've never seen the show but at least it's set in the 21st century.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV