Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 11:04 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
she could actually carry a tune...

And by implication, a woman who can hang with indisputably one of the greatest voices performing today can't. That is an assertion that on the face of it is patently absurd.

Different performers speak to us in different ways. I will take Sarah Vaughn over Ella Fitzgerald any day of the week, but I would never have the temerity to denigrate Ella's talent or artistry. I can't conceive of time when I would actually spend money on a Beyonce recording, but I would never say that she doesn't have a magical voice. So, by the same token, over the five seasons of the Voice there have been contestants who I did like, who did not speak to me or send a chill up my spine, but I would describe one of them as being untalented, not a one. Music may be the universal language but not every one speaks in a dialect that speaks to us, and that's ok, so I don't see the need to claim that they can't fluently speak in whatever dialect that they choose and I have never grown to appreciate.

One last thing before I go, another sentiment that runs through these discussions is that "seasoned" performers are less deserving, not because of their talents, but because of their experience. Well there are thousands of working artist who have struggled to garner some degree of success in an industry that isn't based so much on talent as much as some bean counter who values style over substance or some preconceived subjective formula that as a matter of course excludes them. If it was left to such individuals, whole genres of American popular music would have never been heard by the American public.

But luckily back in the day, when creative record producers, who actually loved music, connected with music loving radio DJ's who promoted these under heard artist, giving them a platform to be heard by wider audiences we have enjoyed artists as diverse as Mississippi John Hurt, Donna Summers, Barry White, the Clash and Nirvana. Those days are long gone, eclipsed by super conglomerates like Clear Channel Communications that employs formulaic criteria, and a lot of record company money, to pick and choose who we get to hear or see. Fortunately, innovations like YouTube have helped to correct that, but so does a program like the Voice, which has never promoted itself as an amateur singing contest even though "amateurs" are welcome and have been successful.

One of the things about the The Voice that separates it from others in its genre is that it recognizes the reality that confronts thousands of everyday working musicians. The producers and especially the judges intimately understands what a program like the Voice can do for their careers. Judges like Black Shelton labored for year in Nashville before being signed by a minor label; Levine and his first band were "discovered" while playing a house party, eventually signed to Reprise records where their first album was an utter failure and were subsequently dropped from the label. If either artist had had the opportunity to perform and perhaps vie in the final would music be better or worse if the prevailing attitude was that they were undeserving because of their past experience as musicians, I think not. And while Cee Lo, or Xtina may have had a smoother rise to success they certainly have come into contact with working artist who they have thought deserved a chance at their own big break as well. Why some viewers don't get this is beyond me.

So like my first "rant", vote for the artist that speaks to you, that inspires you, that makes you want to shake your butt, whatever, judge them for what they do on the stage and not all the other extraneous crap that has nothing to do with music.

Till next season....

PS - This wasn't aimed at the person whose comment I quoted, per se, but it was a good starting point to say what I've thought for a long time.

Last edited by ovcatto; 12-18-2013 at 11:33 AM.. Reason: grammar and clarity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 01:43 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,824,328 times
Excellent post Ovcatto. I know Blake's story very well. It took him over ten years to make it and he almost threw in the towel many times.

I love the finale and I sure loved the result!

See y'all in February. Let's start a new thread for that season when the time gets closer.

Merry Christmas!

Old 12-18-2013, 04:55 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,411,370 times
Tessanne is a good person, with big talent. I don't think she's that interesting myself, but at least it didn't go to someone totally unworthy. I'm still satisfied with the outcome. Second place is a strong finish for a 16-year-old girl. And she got a new car. Congratulations to Jacquie, the true winner of The Voice in my heart.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I did not really watch this show much this time, I really missed last 2 seasons. And I miss Shakira and Usher, wish they would come back - Christina is just too hard to take.
I don't think people can take her confidence. It's unusual.

Even Blake said that in an interview, and he knows her. He said it's fun to be around someone with that much confidence. He said a lot of people say they don't give a crap what other people think, but she really doesn't give a crap.

Old 12-18-2013, 10:14 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,546,864 times
I think its good that Jacqui didn't win- it means she won't be bound by a bunch of contracts with The Voice going forward.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:07 AM

I don't think anyone needs to worry about little Jacquie.

Jacquie Lee - Approached by Labels - The Voice Season 5 Finale - YouTube

Old 12-19-2013, 12:10 AM

She's so sweet... Xtina's going to take good care of her, give her good guidance. And she has a solid family too.

Old 12-19-2013, 11:54 AM

5,333 posts, read 8,546,864 times
Given her age, the connections and exposure Jacqui has "won" from being on this show will probably end up being worth more than what the actual winner gets out of winning.

Old 12-19-2013, 02:28 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,485,113 times
The season finale was very good. I enjoyed the performances. It was a toss up between Tess-Ann and Jacquie. I honestly think Tess-Ann won because she made Adam Levine tear up. He was really in awe of her.

Does Lady Gaga have a crush on Christina? The vocals were good but it was a weird performance.

Adam is so hot and he has the sweetest dimples. I used to be a hardcore fan of Maroon 5. I know they keep talking about how great Christina is but Adam Levine is very talented. His first CD was amazing. I am glad to see that he is doing well.

Old 12-19-2013, 11:12 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,487,074 times
What happened to last seasons "winner"?

No one will remember Tess 2 days from now either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV