Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 04:19 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,777,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
Extinction is possible but not probable, since it's proven (or the term you prefer to use, canon) that they can still reproduce even though they are infected.
Which is why I said MAY. Being pregnant and going through childbirth is very risky and so is being a kid in this world. Weve seen a two or three couples deal with these issues.

Quote:
You say that, to you, "the most interesting parts ... is that first few days of outbreak", then it would stand to reason that the show is now less interesting to you since the show is far past the first few days of outbreak.
I explained this in my previous post. This group of people haven't been able to settle down to rebuild society or have two or three generations. To do that would require a farm or woodbury or prison that is immune to attack. This would mean whole episodes where you wouldnt even see a zombie since most casual characters would never have a reason to go outside. That doesnt sound very compelling to me.

Quote:
I don't know why you included the CDC in the spoiler, since they'd already been there.
Is it that big a deal? Worthy enough to even mention? I thought i was in the thread with "the beginning" in the title. Maybe someone here is still on the first couple of episodes. I was mainly trying to hide the last destination i mentioned in that list. My bad.
Quote:
The only answer that they learned from the CDC was that the virus was in everyone. I also don't know what sorts of elements of discoveries or answers you are expecting, since Kirkman had commented that he is not interested in explaining the how's or why's of what had happened that resulted in people turning into zombies. There may be little teaser tidbits, or maybe not, but even if there is then I wouldn't expect to learn of anything earth shattering.
They also learn that it is a world wide extinction level event and that no one is close to a cure except maybe the French before they ran out of power. That is very earth shattering. I also like that the cause is never explained. But that wont necessarily stop people from looking for answers.

Quote:
If a generational show was created after the current show, and the possible spinoff, has wrapped up then the "skip all that" would be a moot point. There would still be the back story of the current show, and the possible spinoff, that would act as the springboard for the next generation (or two). The technical civilization, as we know it, has not completely collapsed in the current show, but in future generations it would collapse, since the current people are mainly focused on surviving and not rebuilding. There would still be "progression of character" in a generational show, as long as there are characters who are learning and mentally/emotionally growing then there is progression, and even regression of characters.

As CarbonCountyLiving commented ..
"No stores to loot, no cars to steal, no gas to siphon--they have to start from scratch." .. Also, add no bullets to that list. So in (the fictional) reality they would be reduced to hand to hand fighting (using knives/swords, rocks, tree limbs, etc) or using bows and arrows to fight other humans and zombies. To get around they would either have to walk or capture horses to ride, and many animals, such as horses, appear to be in short supply.

The difference between the two of us is that I'd been raised to look past the 'face value', to wonder and to look at the what ifs, while you are content to sit back and take things at face value (you must have heartily disliked a tv show like LOST, where the majority of things were not face value). An example of your face value way of looking at things, in the other TWD thread you were quick to be dismissive and condescending of others about walkers crossing water (when the walker had stepped into a deeper part of the stream and started bobbing downstream like a cork) ..
You sat back and took what a known liar (the gov) had said as "canon". You took it on face value that a walker, who cannot drown, cannot cross water. While I looked at it as if the water current had deposited the walker on an underwater sandbar then the walker could make it out of the river, though which side the walker would come out on would be a toss up. So yeah, it's possible that a walker could cross water, even probable if the riverbed and the water was shallow. So, you can let it rest for good, other people may have different opinions on that particular subject.

Anyway, back to future generations, if Kirkman made a generational show that is written as well as the current show then I would watch it and probably enjoy it. If that type of show would not be for you then, stating the obvious, don't watch it.
There again. A survival show where people have rebuilt society would require walled cities or a mass extermination of most of the walkers. Cant really have one without the other if most people have settled in to colonial life and making babies. That means walkers are under control and no longer pose a threat to everyday life. Not much fun at all. Thats not even a zombie show at that point just a generic post apocalypse drama.

the gov lies but he wasnt lying about the water. He and Milton are the most knowledgable people of biter capabilities and behavior that we have ever seen. Maybe jenner, but I think he dealt more with the virus rather then running experiments on biters like the gov did. And he had no reason to lie to lilly and meghan. Any body who has every tried to walk across a river or lake or even the deep end of a swimming pool should know that. A live human cant do it so theres no reason a reanimated human can. It just doesnt make sense. I do not share the same opinion of others that just because physics and nature dont allow for zombies that they should also be able to do supernatural or superhuman feats. The show doesnt allow for that.

you can keep all that other stuff about how I was raised or what other stuff I do or do not like because it is nothing but borderline ad hominem attacks and silly strawmen.

Last edited by Tourian; 12-10-2013 at 04:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 06:25 PM

23,620 posts, read 12,543,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Which is why I said MAY. Being pregnant and going through childbirth is very risky and so is being a kid in this world. Weve seen a two or three couples deal with these issues.
Childbearing/birth and raising a healthy child has always been risky, even more so in the past than it is now. The 'whole' human race hasn't been on the edge of extinction, past or present, because of those risks, and I see no difference between the risks on the show compared to the risks that people had gone through in the (before modern medicine) past.

I explained this in my previous post.
Explained your comment about "the most interesting parts to you is the first few days of outbreak"? Not really.
Quote:
The human race may still go extinct because there is no cure for the virus and everybody is infected. So people that die of natural causes or get murdered may still turn. That said I would not be interested in a story two generations down the road. To me one of the most interesting parts of a zombie story is that first few days of outbreak when life gets turned upside down and people come to realize what is going on.
As far as there being "no cure for the virus", the virus isn't actively killing anyone. Yes the flu they had gone through had killed people, but, the flu people get in real life kills people too.

This group of people haven't been able to settle down to rebuild society or have two or three generations. To do that would require a farm or woodbury or prison that is immune to attack. This would mean whole episodes where you wouldnt even see a zombie since most casual characters would never have a reason to go outside. That doesnt sound very compelling to me.
Not necessarily. People down through the ages have successfully procreated and built societies while battling the elements, wild animals, marauders, etc., without being "walled up".

Is it that big a deal? Worthy enough to even mention? I thought i was in the thread with "the beginning" in the title. Maybe someone here is still on the first couple of episodes. I was mainly trying to hide the last destination i mentioned in that list. My bad.
Perhaps not a big deal or worthy of being mentioned, by either of us. If someone is still on the first couple of episodes why would they be reading this thread, where things that 'have happened' are openly discussed? I do agree that things that 'haven't happened yet' should go into spoilers.

They also learn that it is a world wide extinction level event and that no one is close to a cure except maybe the French before they ran out of power. That is very earth shattering. I also like that the cause is never explained. But that wont necessarily stop people from looking for answers.
Is? Perhaps it should be .. 'could be'. Again, people aren't dying because of the virus. They are living and procreating even while having the virus in their system.

There again. A survival show where people have rebuilt society would require walled cities or a mass extermination of most of the walkers. Cant really have one without the other if most people have settled in to colonial life and making babies. That means walkers are under control and no longer pose a threat to everyday life. Not much fun at all. Thats not even a zombie show at that point just a generic post apocalypse drama.
Again, people have been doing that successfully throughout human history without being walled up.

the gov lies but he wasnt lying about the water. He and Milton are the most knowledgable people of biter capabilities and behavior that we have ever seen. Maybe jenner, but I think he dealt more with the virus rather then running experiments on biters like the gov did. And he had no reason to lie to lilly and meghan. Any body who has every tried to walk across a river or lake or even the deep end of a swimming pool should know that. A live human cant do it so theres no reason a reanimated human can. It just doesnt make sense. I do not share the same opinion of others that just because physics and nature dont allow for zombies that they should also be able to do supernatural or superhuman feats. The show doesnt allow for that.

Good golly, people CAN'T wade across rivers. LOL. Personally, I have waded across a river or two in my lifetime. FWIW, the river the zombie was wading through was not a fast moving flood stage river. It wasn't very deep until the zombie reached the deeper channel near the middle. If the channel hadn't been deep then the zombie would have probably made it across. Typically, because of silting, bends, debris, etc., there isn't 'deep' channels along the full length of the river either. And, we are talking about rivers, not lakes or swimming pools. (I'm sorry, I'm still laughing about how you think people can't wade across a river)

you can keep all that other stuff about how I was raised or what other stuff I do or do not like because it is nothing but borderline ad hominem attacks and silly strawmen.
As for your last comment .. . You have been the one to say, more than once, that you take things at face value, and, what happens on the show is the way it is. I believe I had previously mentioned to you that some things that happen on the show could be 'plot twists'.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:47 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
If the channel hadn't been deep then the zombie would have probably made it across.
Yeah by walking across it. In most posts people are talking about how zombies cannot cross bodies of water because either they cannot swim or they cannot walk on the bottom of the lake/ocean/whatever with water over their heads. I think the person you were responding to just used a poor choice of words when they said people can't wade across bodies of water. Yes people can wade through water, but walking at the bottom of a deep body of water is a little more difficult.

Old 12-10-2013, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Yeah by walking across it. In most posts people are talking about how zombies cannot cross bodies of water because either they cannot swim or they cannot walk on the bottom of the lake/ocean/whatever with water over their heads. I think the person you were responding to just used a poor choice of words when they said people can't wade across bodies of water. Yes people can wade through water, but walking at the bottom of a deep body of water is a little more difficult.
Sometimes people just want to be difficult so they can argue on and on for whatever reason.

Old 12-10-2013, 08:30 PM

23,620 posts, read 12,543,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I agree that they wouldn't be able to cross deep bodies of water. I re-watched that part of the show and the zombie had gotten across a good portion of the river, with the water constantly varying between ankle deep to a little over the knees deep. He was making good progress until he hit either a hole or the channel, if it weren't for that then the zombie may have made it across.

Old 12-16-2014, 11:24 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,279,449 times
Spinoff locale announced: THE WALKING DEAD Spinoff Setting Revealed

Have to say I'm more than a little disappointed. It's set in the same city where 99% of all American TV shows are set. You know, all the same locations you can see on TV 12 times a night on every channel. Yay.

Old 12-16-2014, 12:05 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,491,104 times
It's more cost effective, they don't have to ship cast and crew and everything out to a remote location, but youre' right it is kinda boring to watch yet another show set in LA

Old 12-16-2014, 01:28 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,201,370 times
Thanks for bringing this thread back instead of making a new one, Mark S.

It doesn't bother me that it's set in LA. I liked the idea of it maybe being a pre-quel to the outbreak. That would be awesome. Maybe just an hour before. Condensed, of course. I'm very much looking forward to this show.

Old 12-16-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Spinoff locale announced: THE WALKING DEAD Spinoff Setting Revealed

Have to say I'm more than a little disappointed. It's set in the same city where 99% of all American TV shows are set. You know, all the same locations you can see on TV 12 times a night on every channel. Yay.
You must mean New York? Oh...ok LA then.

Old 12-16-2014, 07:40 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,961,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
You must mean New York? Oh...ok LA then.
eh, there are plenty of shows set outside LA and New York - NCIS, House of Cards, Scandal in Washington DC; Mike & Molly, Chicago Fire, the Good Wife in Chicago; etc, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV