Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 08:17 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times

Advertisements

I enjoyed the last episode a lot. They moved one of the two shotgun houses left in Waco. Joanna used the patterned cement tile again in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2016, 05:53 PM

8,046 posts, read 10,638,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Lately I've noticed the homes are in horrible neighborhoods, across from a factory or some industrial park. Hopefully these very nice remodeled homes have alarm systems. I too am tired of the kids and cupcakes.
Yes, as they say, location does matter. You can remodel a home and make it as charming as possible, but the surrounding area has to be livable and stable. Otherwise, it may seem like a bargain, but it may be just a waste of money and time, and probably a loss, unless the area is experiencing a genuine boom of economic growth. I know, I did it a number of years ago, and sold at a loss to get out. The home I "rehabbed" was broken into during the remodeling process, before we even moved into it.

I think the show, with the "kids and cupcakes" thing is trying to be a cross between a remodeling show and a reality show, and they need to just forget about it and focus on what they do best. Get on with the remodels and design ideas. Leave cooking with the kids to the Pioneer Woman (who does it very well, I might add).

Old 03-10-2016, 05:37 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,728,000 times
I wish she'd stop filling the remodeled homes with all that weird junk she's so in love with.

The rusty bicycle on the wall, those dumb phrases she likes to paste all over, that giant clock thing with Roman numerals she thinks is decorative.

I like her kitchens, at least they don't look like the inside of a mortuary. But all that stuff she installs is annoying.

She did a house a couple of weeks ago, big house, that was finally purchased for $30,000. Great deal. If I hadn't been through Waco a couple thousand times to know better, I'd consider moving there.

Old 03-13-2016, 09:38 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Bad neighborhoods do not stay bad neighborhoods when young families remodel houses and move there. High tide lifts all boats.

Old 03-18-2016, 10:41 AM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
I wish she'd stop filling the remodeled homes with all that weird junk she's so in love with.

The rusty bicycle on the wall, those dumb phrases she likes to paste all over, that giant clock thing with Roman numerals she thinks is decorative.

I like her kitchens, at least they don't look like the inside of a mortuary. But all that stuff she installs is annoying.

She did a house a couple of weeks ago, big house, that was finally purchased for $30,000. Great deal. If I hadn't been through Waco a couple thousand times to know better, I'd consider moving there.

exactly.

then the homeowners move in and it doesnt reflect them, the occupants.
it reflects a day at the salvage yard with joanna.....

Old 03-18-2016, 12:43 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
As has probably been pointed out a zillion times, most of the furniture and decor is just staging, it doesn't go with the house, very few of the pieces stay.

Wasn't particularly fond of this last house with the sagey-green interior walls, but at least the color scheme was different. A lot of people complain that she uses maybe three shades of white, pale gray, pale blue in her houses, but that is just paint, the new owner is free to change paint schemes.

Shiplap was never used in my part of the country (I probably shouldn't say "never" but I have never seen it) but a little of it goes a long way. When it is an original feature I think it should be kept in SOME areas, but it annoys me when it is added later as anything other than an accent.

Old 03-18-2016, 01:53 PM

2,499 posts, read 3,249,049 times
My wife likes Fixer Upper. Chip and Joanne drive me loony though. I call it "Flop or Flop For the Bible Belt" lol.

Old 03-18-2016, 02:09 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,436,538 times
I used to like Fixer Upper. A Lot. But Chip's contrived "goofy" mannerisms and Joanna's constant insistence on opening up spaces that were never designed to be opened up, especially in Craftsman homes, has put me off the show. Plus I've really noticed lately that when they go through the house and detail what work they'll be doing for the budget, it seems like there's an awful lot that won't be covered, like all of the bathrooms , in some cases. Now, in a house that needs so much other work, it stands to reason that the bathrooms need work too, right? Oh, and Joanna always has a "little" extra left over for a special project that will just be SO special. Heck, if it were me, I'd forego the shutters or the awning over the front door and go for an updated tub or toilet, y'know? Plus, I always wonder about all the permits and sign-offs necessary for all the work they do. Normally those take weeks to months to accomplish. Perhaps Chip has an "in" with the local housing authorities. Yes, I know it's a television show, but there's so much contrivance.

Old 03-18-2016, 02:46 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
They usually don't mention a reno timeline and there have been a few shows where you could see an actual season/weather change, so I suspect the timeline is frequently many weeks to a few months. In a smaller towns the permit process can be just a few weeks - particularly if you have done quite a few renos/new builds and are familiar with the quirks of your local permit office - and frequently inspections can be ordered 2 days in advance.

A lot of getting a reno done on time and dealing with inspections is knowing what the timeline is - like working on the roof or yard while awaiting plumbing and electrical inspection. And no matter how well you plan, you frequently get the timing wrong.

That is what bugs me about shows like Property Brothers, where they say "this reno will take 6 weeks" - really? Can I have a guarantee on that?

Last edited by PNW-type-gal; 03-18-2016 at 02:56 PM..

Old 04-24-2016, 01:18 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,146,766 times
I still watch the show even though I complain about it. That is part of the fun with any show on HGTV. One thing I have noticed lately that bothers me is the direction they are taking with Chip. They are playing up the goofy but I think with that, they are making Chip look dumb and he isn't. Joanna is doing WayFair commercials now and in one of them, she does all the talking and Chip sits in the background, even slightly blurred and he just has this fake smile on his face and says nothing. It seems like they are making her the brains of the operation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV